Main Menu

Accentuate the Positive

Started by SARMedTech, July 06, 2007, 12:26:25 PM

SARMedTech

Any chance of us starting a new running category where people can talk about whats going right? Where they can publish new best practices or talk about an award they recently achieved or something particularly good that their squadron did without having to worry that their posting will be drug kicked and screaming from its original intent by thread pirates (hey, i will admit to being one of the worst.) This one has to do with my personal life, but Ill start:

I just came off a 24 hours EMS shift where my partner and I tended to 39 patients. 4 auto accidents, 3 strokes, 4 MIs or rule out MIs and 3 codes that didnt make it. But we also delivered a baby (a beautiful, perfect little 6 pound 9oz little girl at 0313 this morning in her new mommy and daddys living room, surrounded by pets and family and slaps on the back for the grinning poppa and cigars for the EMS crew).

When did we all get so down on each other. Why does everything have to turn into some kind of joke. There are lots of things that are funny. But there are times when serious people ask serious questions and want other serious people to give them serious answers. Not just citations from the regs, but CAP members sorting out a confusing situation, or coming together to fix a problem. After all, isnt that what we joined up to do.

Have a great day all. Semper Vigilans!
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Pylon

A category?  That's really the intent behind this entire discussion community.  ;)

At least, that's the intent.  But it takes quality topic starters and professional discussion participants.  It's never too late to start a few best practices or "things going right" threads.  In fact, right now is a perfect time!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

We were flying over the Kings River on patrol and I located a several adults and a couple small children hung up on tree branches.  I was able to call in a Sheriff's rescue river boat to help them out of the trees.  Nobody had life jackets.  That was cool.

Back at it again today.

bosshawk

Robert: congratulations on your good work.  I read about it in the Fresno Bee, but had no idea that it was you.  Keep up the good work.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JCJ

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 06, 2007, 05:32:19 PM
We were flying over the Kings River on patrol and I located a several adults and a couple small children hung up on tree branches.  I was able to call in a Sheriff's rescue river boat to help them out of the trees.  Nobody had life jackets.  That was cool.

Back at it again today.

Bravo Zulu!

(see http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2295.0 for the meaning of "Bravo Zulu")

arajca

Held a Model Rocketry class today. Covered all three stages and conducted written testing for all three - lowest score 80%. Completed the Redstone Hands On stage for all cadets. Received confirmation on rocket launch dates for July - Oct at a locate R/C air park.

A good day.

SARMedTech

Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2007, 02:49:35 AM
Held a Model Rocketry class today. Covered all three stages and conducted written testing for all three - lowest score 80%. Completed the Redstone Hands On stage for all cadets. Received confirmation on rocket launch dates for July - Oct at a locate R/C air park.

A good day.

Arajca-

Congratulations on the results on your rocketry testing! From what I have seen so far, I know that is something that all involved really enjoy. Did you do any actual launches today and if so, what was you highest achieved altitude and with what type of rocket?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

arajca

We did the Redstone launches, but didn't record the altitudes.

jimmydeanno

Well, here is something positive and one of the better activities since me joining my new squadron.

I took a bunch of our cadets for glider orientation flights on Saturday.  The weather was great for soaring!  We had to travel 140 miles each way to the airport, but it was well worth it.

The organization of the event was wonderful.  We had 3 glider pilots come out and 3 tow pilots.  There 2 of the pilots were even from another wing - it's nice to see that kind of cooperation.

We got 10 cadets their first glider flights that day, and to see their smiles was priceless.  While waiting for the person in the glider to come back down, the cadets played 'ultimate football' (a spin-off of ulitmate frisbee).  We even stopped for ice cream on the way home.

It was just one of those events where you can really connect with the cadets and you feel as though you are actually making a difference in their lives.  So, to all those pilots that took their time to fly my cadets, THANK YOU!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 09, 2007, 01:19:33 PM
Well, here is something positive and one of the better activities since me joining my new squadron.

I took a bunch of our cadets for glider orientation flights on Saturday.  The weather was great for soaring!  We had to travel 140 miles each way to the airport, but it was well worth it.

The organization of the event was wonderful.  We had 3 glider pilots come out and 3 tow pilots.  There 2 of the pilots were even from another wing - it's nice to see that kind of cooperation.

We got 10 cadets their first glider flights that day, and to see their smiles was priceless.  While waiting for the person in the glider to come back down, the cadets played 'ultimate football' (a spin-off of ulitmate frisbee).  We even stopped for ice cream on the way home.

It was just one of those events where you can really connect with the cadets and you feel as though you are actually making a difference in their lives.  So, to all those pilots that took their time to fly my cadets, THANK YOU!

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together? Sounds like a great, well organized day? Is there any way fuadroor Officers to get involved in gliding? My squadron is mostly ES but I think gliding would be a blast.
"Corpsman Up!"

arajca

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 09, 2007, 01:25:07 PM
Dont you just love it when a plan comes together? Sounds like a great, well organized day? Is there any way fuadroor Officers to get involved in gliding? My squadron is mostly ES but I think gliding would be a blast.
Talk to whoever is running the glider program for your wing. In COWG, seniors bringing cadets to glider o-flights can get a turn if there's time and they pay for the tow ($40 in CO).

jimmydeanno

Yes, I really like it when one does.  This activity was really a breath of fresh air that I really needed.  It has been a struggle 'adjusting' to the 'differences' in squadrons.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'fuadroor' officers, but here's what the reg says...

Quote5-4. CAP Pilot Glider Flight Training. CAP cadets are authorized flight training in gliders by CAP CFIGs toward all FAA airman ratings or certificates.CAP senior members are authorized flight training in gliders by CAP CFIGs leading to any FAA glider rating. Flight training will be accomplished in accordance with current FAA standards and, when applicable, the CAP Glider Training Plan. FAA-H-8083-13, Glider Flying Handbook, will be the primary reference for CAP glider ground and flight training.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

Had a Model Rocketry Class for some of the students at the Martial Arts Dojo I teach at (between the ages of 4 to 10) building the Fizzy Flier. Classroom instruction consisted of very basics of how planes fly, the best airplane sound of the group, coolest design, best rocket blast sound of the group, highest altitude. Kids absolutely loved it and the parents even threw a party afterwords. Gave them some cool certificates and put picture in local newspaper. Ran around the DoJo floor with our arms spread wide acting like complete goofballs. Was alot of fun. Been asked to do it again soon.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

SARMedTech

Quote from: caphistorian on July 09, 2007, 03:58:39 PM
Had a Model Rocketry Class for some of the students at the Martial Arts Dojo I teach at (between the ages of 4 to 10) building the Fizzy Flier. Classroom instruction consisted of very basics of how planes fly, the best airplane sound of the group, coolest design, best rocket blast sound of the group, highest altitude. Kids absolutely loved it and the parents even threw a party afterwords. Gave them some cool certificates and put picture in local newspaper. Ran around the DoJo floor with our arms spread wide acting like complete goofballs. Was alot of fun. Been asked to do it again soon.

Sounds like a blast Major, can I come next time?
"Corpsman Up!"

BillB

NOTE to SER CC.  It looks like the SER Historian has lost it. Can CAP give a Section 8?

<waiting for the phone to ring>
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SARMedTech

Quote from: BillB on July 10, 2007, 12:36:04 AM
NOTE to SER CC.  It looks like the SER Historian has lost it. Can CAP give a Section 8?

If CAP did give section 8's, there wouldnt be anyone left, except maybe a few cadets.
"Corpsman Up!"

Skyray

Quote from: BillB on July 10, 2007, 12:36:04 AM

Actually, you have to request a Section 8.  If you request it, it is prima facie evidence that you want out of CAP.  If you want out of this craziness, you must be sane.  If you are sane, you are not eligible for Section 8.

Please elaborate on what the SER Historian done now.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

James Shaw

Here is a group picture of the work and of the kids and parents. Im the tall one with grey hair!!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Skyray

Thanks for the clarification, Jim.  Don't know why Breezy thinks you are crazy for such an obviously well thought out recruiting effort, but it appears to me that just about the time they are ready to leave the dojo they become eligible for cadet membership.  BRAVO ZULU!
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SARMedTech

Quote from: Skyray on July 10, 2007, 02:11:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jim.  Don't know why Breezy thinks you are crazy for such an obviously well thought out recruiting effort, but it appears to me that just about the time they are ready to leave the dojo they become eligible for cadet membership.  BRAVO ZULU!

We could use them for HLS taskings. Between their height (or lack of it) and some camo uniforms, no one would ever see them. We might have to dig up those miniature ribbons though. Nice job Chaplain! Looks like they were having alot of fun. During my short tenure as a teacher, I always liked working with the little ones. They still have so much amazement at learning new things.
"Corpsman Up!"