Flight Simulator X shoutout!

Started by RocketPropelled, December 06, 2006, 07:14:47 AM

RocketPropelled

So I'm at the local electronics superstore, and I decide to flip through the "hintbook" for the new release of Microsoft Flight Simulator (y'know, the "X" one!)...

A new wrinkle in the sim is the addition of "missions" to accomplish, where you have a specific airplane, a specific task, and goals to meet.

One of the "advanced" missions is a Civil Air Patrol search, specifically flying a Maule (in full CAP paint) out in Idaho Wing, searching a grid for a missing aircraft.

I haven't flown FSX yet, I'm waiting for it to show up under the tree in about three weeks, but it's good to get some love from Microsoft developers themselves, in addition to the add-ons from Abacus.

I wonder if any NHQ types had much to do with it, other than approving the use of the corporate name and paint schemes -- I'd love to hear someone chime in. That might make a good article in the Volunteer. Hint, hint.

That's the kind of "hit" we need out there for PR in the aviation community.

Anyone flown this yet?

DNall

What you mean they didn't get a cease & dessist order? For shame  ;D

RocketPropelled

Quote from: DNall on December 06, 2006, 07:21:48 AM
What you mean they didn't get a cease & dessist order? For shame  ;D

I'm guessing some money may have changed hands somewhere. I think it's interesting that NHQ's been mum on the issue, though.  Seems like one of those tie-ins that most marketing departments would love.

I used to be in the marketing department of Space Camp, and I know we pushed the heck out of any commercial tie-ins we had, from giveaways to corporate sponsorships to subject matter issues. Often, it's a lot of free coverage!

Bluelakes 13

CAP NHQ announced over a year ago that it partnered with Abacus Software to create a MS addon to FS. 

http://www.cap.gov/mediacenter/releases/abacus.html

FSX includes many of the graphics,  missions, and object addons builtin.  Very nice upgrade to the software, but you'll need a hefty PC to take full advantage of it.  Add the CH Products pedals and yoke, two more LCDs, and you get a real cool flying experience. 

James.

Chris Jacobs

I can't wait for it to show up under my tree.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

RocketPropelled

Quote from: jkalemis on December 06, 2006, 02:44:45 PM
CAP NHQ announced over a year ago that it partnered with Abacus Software to create a MS addon to FS.

Which is why it's weird that MSFT includes CAP in its flagship simulator, and there's not a word about it. Very strange. I can only assume that CAP didn't negotiate any publicity rights into the contract. Seems like an oversight, but that might just be the Vader-esque terms of the deal, and we should pray MSFT doesn't alter them further.

Quote from: jkalemis on December 06, 2006, 02:44:45 PMAdd the CH Products pedals and yoke, two more LCDs, and you get a real cool flying experience. 

Hm. Free and correct; sharp and plugged in. Bring on the ones and zeroes.

MIKE

I recall reading something that said the CAP mission was only available in the Deluxe Edition, so you may want to check on that before you buy.
Mike Johnston

smj58501

I am looking at getting a new computer in the near future. Some primary selection criteria is the ability to run FS X effectively.

I know the minimum systems specifications can be found by looking on the box/ checking the website. I am wondering, however, if any of you techno-savvy types can recommend systems specifications needed to make this game really hum. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thx... and please forgive the question. I can run computers well, but don't know lots about what makes 'em run or how to make them run well.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

MIKE

I aways treat the recommended system requirements as the real minimum...  Unless I know it will run decent on my rig via a demo.
Mike Johnston

Chris Jacobs

I was going to get the deluxe no matter what.

I got to see the game while at Oshkosh, and it was pretty cool.  Although we over heard one of the salesmen saying that there is no current computer system that will run the game at the highest level.  He was saying that every one will have to turn down the graphics/game performance a little bit.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

CLB

Personally I think it's the same as 2004 with a little more eye candy. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

wacapgh

The paint on the Maule is "Close. but no cigar".

Someone in the art team probably applied the same graphic for all the wing surfaces, as the "Prop and Bars" appear on all four wing surfaces.

When I worked on Combat Flight Simulator, we had a few discussions with the art team over "this looks best graphically" vs. "it wasn't painted that way!"

I'm going to chalk it up to a poor supply of reference photos that didn't show Upper Left/Lower Right, with "CAP" Upper Right/Lower Left.

Agreed, strange that there is no mention of the CAP content from either MSFT or NHQ.

Both of the Abacus add-on products are only compatible with FS2004:

"FSX Compatibility Coming Soon

We are now preparing an upgrade to Civil Air Patrol Pilot to add FSX Compatibility."

There are threads on the FS boards on how to manually install FS2004 aircraft to the new FSX folder structure (things have moved, and there are entire new folders).

The mission builder/editor and DF units are probably what's not compatible with FSX.

MidwaySix

Anyone have a screenshot of the CAP mission in MSFS X?

RocketPropelled

No screenshots I've found online, but the hintbook showed a cool view of the runup area as you're departing -- you're in one Maule, and there's another CPF Maule taking off.  Apparently you'll be able to hear the other CapFlight radio call sign check in, etc, during the mission.

Looked pretty sweet.

Chris Jacobs

So do they have CAPFlight as a call sign in the game.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Bluelakes 13

Bluelakes 13

My PC is a 3.2GHz P4 with 1Gb RAM and Radeon 9550 (256Mb) video and it is slow.  But I'm running 1600x1200.  If you turn the resolution down and dummy the graphics, it get much faster.

Psicorp

Quote from: jkalemis on December 07, 2006, 05:38:36 AM
My PC is a 3.2GHz P4 with 1Gb RAM and Radeon 9550 (256Mb) video and it is slow.  But I'm running 1600x1200.  If you turn the resolution down and dummy the graphics, it get much faster.

Guess it won't run on my Commodore then, huh?   ;D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257