Saluting Other Recognized Cadet Corps

Started by captrncap, November 28, 2006, 05:03:12 AM

captrncap

What are CAP rules on saluting officers of other Cadet Corps (JROTC, Sea Cadets, etc)? Are cadets expected to salute these cadets and adult officers? Are CAP officers required to salute other corps adult leaders senior in grade?

Does anyone know if other Cadet Corps requires cadets to salute CAP Officers?

RiverAux

If the adult officers are wearing an actual military uniform and are senior in rank to you, you would salute them.  With retirees it isn't exactly specific as to saluting them, but you are supposed to show them respect and use their former rank. 

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

I was once told by a long time CAP that it was never wrong to execute a salute as a sign of respect unless it was expressly forbidden (no salute areas, flight lines et al).

This may be apocryphal...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: captrncap on November 28, 2006, 05:03:12 AM
What are CAP rules on saluting officers of other Cadet Corps (JROTC, Sea Cadets, etc)? Are cadets expected to salute these cadets and adult officers? Are CAP officers required to salute other corps adult leaders senior in grade?

Does anyone know if other Cadet Corps requires cadets to salute CAP Officers?

Have you read CAPP 151 yet?  Or are you asking if we're supposed to salute people that we're not required to salute?

Read CAPP 151.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

captrncap

This is just about  our cadets saluting other CADET corps officers (both adults and cadet members) not actual military (that is very clear in CAPP 151). Reg are only specific to military, the President, etc....

DNall

Don't worry about saluting people you respect but don't have to (don't over do that in front of others or you'll look like a butt kissing idiot that doesn't know what they're doing), worry about the ones you don't know or dont respect & don't know if you have to salute.

Far as I know, there is no rule for official or non-offical cadet programs. The only rules are for the individual orgs & the military. However, when I've been in close contact w/ other programs I've extended & told my cadets to extend couresies as though they were CAP members. That sets a tone of mutual respect from which to grow, and we do have a similiar experience as a foundation. Cadets don't seem to have any touble with the idea once they figure out the insignia. Done it with JROTC working events w/ us, and NSCC that was on the same guard base w/ us.

JohnKachenmeister

DNall:

Another on-target answer.

Failure to salute would be interpreted as an indicator of disrespect.

A JROTC cadet captain worked as hard for his pips as our guys work for theirs.
Another former CAP officer

captrncap

I agree that all "services" should be extended the respect and courtesies.

The problem is the old argument "if its not in the regs then I don't have to do it." I think that why some organizations have it in the reqs so no one can claim "I didn't have to"  :)

I know that we've all heard that before.

TankerT

Well.  Lets put it this way.

We don't have to.  But, wouldn't it make us seem not only professional, but nice if we did?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

MIKE

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on November 28, 2006, 06:33:13 PM
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Shoot it and cook it for dinner?

RiverAux

Just make sure you understand all their rank insignia so you don't end up saluting the low man on the totem pole while ignoring the top gun. 

davedove

When I was attending AIT in the Army, we were told if we didn't recognize the insignia, then salute it, because there were several foreign troops attending school their, and most were officers.

There was one NCO from another country, but apparently he got a kick out of the American troops saluting him. ;)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003