ELT Was Going Off ....

Started by etodd, August 12, 2018, 11:01:17 PM

etodd

So I was out doing some C-12 solo proficiency flying today.  At 4500 feet and about in the middle of a triangle formed by three cities with airports, and I'm around 30 miles from any of them. I flipped Com2 to 121.5 just to see, and there it is, an ELT going off. I called up approach at two of the cities, and the tower at the third, and reported it. Not one of them could hear it, and none had any reports. I turned the Becker on, and the signal was strong and I followed the heading for about 15 minutes. Got a general idea of the heading (possible a small unattended airport about 20 miles ahead) and reported it to the tower as I headed back to base. I had already been flying for awhile and if I continued much longer would have started into reserves. Can't have that of course.

So a question, that I'll also ask at our next Squadron meeting. Was there anything else I should have or could have done, other than reporting to ATC?  Before you say it, YES I realize we DO NOT self-deploy. But in this case, I really felt bad about just heading back to base. I hope its just an ELT in a hangar, and not someone down. I haven't heard anything.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Yes, you could contact the NOC directly and report the position you found, and / or your Wing Alert Officer.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2018, 11:06:27 PM
Yes, you could contact the NOC directly and report the position you found, and / or your Wing Alert Officer.

True.  I'll have to figure out the best method for those, while flying, and out of cell phone range, and on a Sunday morning. By the time I landed I was hoping that at least one of the three ATC folks I talked to would have "put it in the system" or whatever their procedure is. But maybe not. I really don't know if they pass along the info or not(?)

One failure on my part I guess, was not jumping on the CAP radio to see if anyone on ground was monitoring. They could have made a landline to NOC, but being on a Sunday morning, I don't know. Thats why I'm asking. I confess to not knowing.

At SAREXs and other training weekends, we practice running Missions we have been given. I can't ever remember being given much info on how to respond if I encounter something like today, where I'm the first one.

chuckmilam

Quote from: etodd on August 12, 2018, 11:38:34 PM
One failure on my part I guess, was not jumping on the CAP radio to see if anyone on ground was monitoring.
We're all monitoring CAPGUARD.  Right?  Right?  Anyone?   ;D

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on August 12, 2018, 11:38:34 PM
One failure on my part I guess, was not jumping on the CAP radio to see if anyone on ground was monitoring. They could have made a landline to NOC, but being on a Sunday morning, I don't know. Thats why I'm asking. I confess to not knowing.

You can always report what you learned to your squadron/wing ES leadership upon landing. They know how to contact the AFRCC and get a mission started. And since you're already at the airport, you can expect to go flying again!

EMT-83

You did exactly what you're supposed to do.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 13, 2018, 10:50:02 AM
You did exactly what you're supposed to do.

I totally agree with this.

You identified the issue. You reported it. You attempted to stay on scene until instructed otherwise or could no longer safely stay airborne.

Kudos.

BraveRifles19D

Where were you flying? NY Wing had a big training exercise this weekend.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on August 14, 2018, 01:09:28 AM
Where were you flying? NY Wing had a big training exercise this weekend.
Training beacon would be on 121.775 MHz, we can but hope!

etodd

Mid-Alabama, Sunday morning on 121.5  I haven't heard any more about it so I guess someone figured out what hangar it was coming from. LOL