CAPR 39-1, 5 March 2020

Started by NIN, March 05, 2020, 08:39:44 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on April 14, 2020, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on April 06, 2020, 11:43:47 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 02, 2020, 09:32:34 PMFrankly, I'd say that if the military gives you a military award in compliance with their regulations, then you should be able to wear it whether you were in the military or not at the time.

This has come up a few times over the years with cadets earning the USAF, USN, and USCG marksmanship ribbons/medals.

Its actually not a conflict.  Unlike CAP, USCGAUX personnel are considered to be part of the actual Coast Guard.

Actually it is a conflict since in no way can CG Aux members be considered to be serving in the Coast Guard as required by CAPR 39-3.  Basically, we are no more part of the Coast Guard than CAP is part of the Air Force.  While the day-to-day relationship is totally different and the CG certainly treats Auxies more like part of the service than CAP does, we are not part of the actual Coast Guard.

JohhnyD

And during a pandemic, we talk uniforms?
(Channeling Spam!)

etodd

Quote from: JohhnyD on April 18, 2020, 11:29:08 PMAnd during a pandemic, we talk uniforms?
(Channeling Spam!)

Got to talk about something!  People going stir crazy sitting at home. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Spam

I've got no problem talking about uniforms.

Here's the thing though; imagine you are at mission base on an actual missing aircraft or DR mission. The family of missing persons or those in distress are sitting waiting to hear something - anything, and are about to meet with the IC for an update. A bunch of CAP members are sitting around within earshot of the family, chatting about how cool it is, to have logged so many hours/sorties today and how close they are to their next SAR/DR ribbon... bad move. Having the discussion about bling, sure whatever, but having it in public during the event - in essence in front of the families of those who are dying - is very much not cool, and that's what I saw, from my POV, on CAPTalk.

Now returning you to your chat about uniforms. Enjoy. Its what interests CAP members the most, it would seem, by the sheer count of messages on CAP Talk, as compared to Ops or certainly AE. Form over substance (sigh).

V/r
Spam

etodd

So ... what would Spam like to discuss?  We've talked COVID and the stand down enough. Nothing left to say until NATCAP starts opening us back up.

So what topics would interest you?  Or should CAPTalk stand down?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Spam

Seeing as this is a uniform thread, carry on, please. The 39-1 update is the topic.

I actually have AE current event topics, which belong elsewhere. I did an update to the c.2004 vintage Task O-0902 Exercise Universal Precautions SQTR task, which I presented this week at a meeting, and am considering posting. But those don't belong here.

R/s
Spam

JohhnyD

Quote from: Spam on April 19, 2020, 02:04:05 AMI've got no problem talking about uniforms.

Here's the thing though; imagine you are at mission base on an actual missing aircraft or DR mission. The family of missing persons or those in distress are sitting waiting to hear something - anything, and are about to meet with the IC for an update. A bunch of CAP members are sitting around within earshot of the family, chatting about how cool it is, to have logged so many hours/sorties today and how close they are to their next SAR/DR ribbon... bad move. Having the discussion about bling, sure whatever, but having it in public during the event - in essence in front of the families of those who are dying - is very much not cool, and that's what I saw, from my POV, on CAPTalk.

Now returning you to your chat about uniforms. Enjoy. Its what interests CAP members the most, it would seem, by the sheer count of messages on CAP Talk, as compared to Ops or certainly AE. Form over substance (sigh).

V/r
Spam
In publick? Captalk? HAHAHAHAHA....

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on March 05, 2020, 08:39:44 PMhttps://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPR_039_001_5_Mar_2020__6EA485E9593C8.pdf

OK, guys: keep the conversation civil. The mods are definitely watching.

Yes, we are. Clean it up, or another one bites the dust.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on April 18, 2020, 08:42:39 PMActually it is a conflict since in no way can CG Aux members be considered to be serving in the Coast Guard as required by CAPR 39-3.  Basically, we are no more part of the Coast Guard than CAP is part of the Air Force.  While the day-to-day relationship is totally different and the CG certainly treats Auxies more like part of the service than CAP does, we are not part of the actual Coast Guard.
[/quote]
Quote from: RiverAux on April 18, 2020, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on April 14, 2020, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 02, 2020, 09:32:34 PMFrankly, I'd say that if the military gives you a military award in compliance with their regulations, then you should be able to wear it whether you were in the military or not at the time.

This has come up a few times over the years with cadets earning the USAF, USN, and USCG marksmanship ribbons/medals.

Its actually not a conflict.  Unlike CAP, USCGAUX personnel are considered to be part of the actual Coast Guard.

Actually it is a conflict since in no way can CG Aux members be considered to be serving in the Coast Guard as required by CAPR 39-3.  Basically, we are no more part of the Coast Guard than CAP is part of the Air Force.  While the day-to-day relationship is totally different and the CG certainly treats Auxies more like part of the service than CAP does, we are not part of the actual Coast Guard.
If thats what you believe, feel free to leave them off.  Personally I do not wear ribbons on anything but the service coat and that has the rack I retired from the Army with.

RiverAux

I think one of is confused about what the other is saying.  My point is that two different CAP regulations conflict on exactly when military awards earned as a civilian but awarded by a military service can be worn.  It is a very niche issue and probably impacts a small minority of CAP members, but that is not a reason to have a conflict in the regs.  I think they should remove the language about which and how awards can be worn from the awards manual and leave that to the uniform reg.  If they want to replace the language in the uniform manual with what is in the awards manual which would have the effect of prohibiting members who earned CG awards as Auxies, I wouldn't have major heartburn over it.