What kind of bag is good for a 24 Hour pack?

Started by Cap_5526, November 24, 2014, 03:50:12 AM

Cap_5526

My Squadron is hosting a Statewide ES camp in February.  After a year and a half of being in I've never actually had to do anything ES related besides flight line.  I was wondering what would be a good bag to put all of the ES gear in.  Pictures and websites on where to buy would be awesome! I also am a little more medical oriented (my mom is a nurse and my dad is a EMT) so I have a First Aid pack that is a little bigger than probably needed. My parents always taught me to pack for multiple people. So I might need something a little bigger. Thank you!

lordmonar

At the start.....any sort of back pack would do.   You don't need to spend much money getting cool gear until you have tried ES on and find that you like it.

Once you start doing ES....see what other people are using and ask to try it.

As for packing for multiple people....don't do it.  Just pack for yourself.  Just get the stuff on the list.
No need to go big yet.
If later down the road you want to expand....then do so with a little experience under belt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

brent.teal

+1 on the don't go big yet.
+2 on packing for other people.  Keep in mind that whatever you pack you have to carry around. 

Your large first-aid bag might be a bit much since there are regs around how much care we are allowed to provide.  ie Basic first aid. 

AS to what I like.  5.11 tactical makes some nice stuff.  I have their rush 24 hour bag and just got their rush 72 hour pack.  Very well constructed with molle attachments on the bags for more pouches. 

http://www.511tactical.com/bags-packs/backpacks.html

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 24, 2014, 04:00:31 AM
At the start.....any sort of back pack would do. 

+1 If you spend more then $50 for your 24 hour kit when you're starting out, you're wasting your money.

Everything you need is at Walmart, and you can pick up a Subway on the way out as your meal.

Quote from: lordmonar on November 24, 2014, 04:00:31 AM
As for packing for multiple people....don't do it.  Just pack for yourself.  Just get the stuff on the list.
No need to go big yet.

This, too.

As a team you're packing for each other, everyone's stuff is backup for everyone else's, but
self-reliance is important "Sherpa" isn't a rating.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetWolf

If it fits everything you need and is comfortable, it's adequate. I brought my 3rd grade backpack to NESA and it survived (just barely), but it didn't have as many pockets as I would have liked, and it was difficult for me to reach the gear I needed. The straps were also a bit uncomfortable, which can be a pain when you're wearing it 24/7, so get a backpack that doesn't have those problems. High Sierra backpacks work well. If you're already a hiker and have an EMS or REI daypack, it will work great, but they tend to be expensive so don't get one if you don't already have. If you want to buy something new and (relatively) inexpensive, I'd highly recommend getting a web vest. You can reach everything you need easily, the weight is distributed comfortably, and it's easy to put a 72 over it.