New Tactical Purse - 5.11 Rush 24

Started by Eclipse, August 14, 2014, 01:03:26 AM

Eclipse

Woot had a knock off of the 5.11-24 on sale a few weeks ago and I didn't bite.
I've been looking for a new European carryall assault purse tactical notebook bag for a while.

I went looking for the original and found the 5.11 Rush 24.
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-24-backpack.html

(Not my source, but a good photo, I got mine on Amazon.)

This video shows it off better then I could:
5.11 Tactical RUSH 24 Backpack Promo

I really like the side zip pockets for water bottles.

You clearly get what you pay for with 5.11, this thing has pockets for everything
with plenty to spare - looking forward to hitting the road with all much stuff in its place.

As luck would have it, the day after mine arrived, my buddy said he had one he didn't use,
so now I have one for tech and one for clothes, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I've been carrying the red one at work every day for the last two years. Has held up a million times better than any off the shelf bag. My only complaint is with my own organization skills - the front pocket always fills up with random cables and crap and I have to dump it to get to stuff at the bottom.

I actually have 2 - the original one I bought in 2010 for 24-hr gear for GTL school and the one they sent me when the chest strap broke on the original at GTL school. I still use the one without a chest strap as a "van bag" to keep my maps, paperwork, radios together in the van.

EDIT - I brought the one without the chest strap with me last year when we went out to play with motorcycles and Mylar blankets, I'm surprised you didn't notice it then.

EDIT 2 - They don't make it in red anymore, that's a shame.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 14, 2014, 01:14:26 AM
EDIT - I brought the one without the chest strap with me last year when we went out to play with motorcycles and Mylar blankets, I'm surprised you didn't notice it then.

I was somewhat ((*ahem*)) "distracted" that day...

I just tried putting my notebook in the hydro slot - fits >perfect< and nicely padded and protected. 

Awesome.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

So this has proven to be an excellent EDC notebook and "stuff bag", with the exception of the carry handle which,
while robust, tends to be a bit rough on your hands, especially when the bag is really full.

I'm headed to the "Great White North" on Sunday (first time out of the US, Woot!), and will be dragging
this around as my "office" for most of a week, so I thought I should try and find a way to pad the handle a bit.

Paracord.  Is there nothing it can't do?

I found a number of sites with instructions, and wound a single on my main bag and a double on my secondary bag.
I must say it's a "bit of alright".  assuming it's as comfortable in use as it feels in the office, I don't think I'm
going to own a bag or a box without this on the handle. 

It's also somewhat amusing how "hard "the cobra stitch looks until your brain snaps it, and then it's goes real fast.
I'm thinking that a piece of 1/4" PVC wrapped into the bottom might offer a better-shaped, stiff grip.

Example photo of a similar bag with a double wrap:

And a single:

Step-by-step:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0jkB45xSO0#

I left the threads inside, but some sites suggest pulling it out and using the hollow cord, which will sit
flat.  This is especially useful for wrapping tool handles (would love to figure out the turban knot).

I also found a site that suggested 1 foot per linear inch of handle (x2 for a double) as an alternative
to the calculation the video above uses.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I love me some paracord things.

Example: http://www.themonkeyfist.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=5229de9bf69de20aa7f647a3520e9e4e

My next rig will have a color coordinated monkey fist pilot chute handle instead of the hackey I have now.  :)

I've been looking for something a little less bulky and obvious than the big honking "cobra" paracord bracelets you see folks with.  something thinner, flatter, maybe with gutted paracord.. guess I need to look for more/different styles.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2014, 03:21:32 AM
I left the threads inside, but some sites suggest pulling it out and using the hollow cord, which will sit
flat.  This is especially useful for wrapping tool handles (would love to figure out the turban knot).
Do you mean the Turks Head?

http://www.animatedknots.com/turkshead/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Yeah, 110, 120.  Whatever you need...

"That Others May Zoom"