Google Apps for CAP Webinar

Started by JeffDG, June 10, 2014, 01:41:36 PM

JeffDG

Everyone,

Several people have asked me "How have you set up Google Apps for your Wing?"

Well, instead of doing this a bunch of times, I'm going to set up a conference call/screen sharing session to walk through our process in some detail, including:

• Account Provisioning (setting up and disabling accounts) based on CAPWATCH data
  • E-mail lists
  • Event Registration
  • Calendars
  • Unit Websites
  • "Branded" CAP E-mail
  • Member Stats reports from CAPWATCH

Initial thought is to do this June 21 at about 1300 EDT, maybe repeat it more than once for those who can't make that time.

If you have other areas you'd like to see covered, I'll try and accommodate those (if I know them!)

arajca

Any chance of getting this recorded? May be easier and less time consuming than repeating and folks can review it afterward if they have questions.

JeffDG

Quote from: arajca on June 10, 2014, 02:32:03 PM
Any chance of getting this recorded? May be easier and less time consuming than repeating and folks can review it afterward if they have questions.
I think I should be able to...should be able to do it with Google Hangouts On Air actually.

Tim Day

That's an outstanding idea, Jeff.

If the provisioning process runs on Google Apps scripts you may want to separate that one out. I think lots of folks can take advantage of the other apps without really knowing anything about scripting, but some folks may have a harder time with scripting.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

JeffDG

In the spirit of "Eating Our Own Cooking", I've gone into Google Apps and created a discussion group for Google Apps for CAP Units:

https://groups.google.com/a/tncap.us/forum/#!forum/google-apps-working-group

Please feel free to join up!

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

NIN

BTW, I want to watch this as an IT guy (in my day job, dealing with Google Apps a bunch) but also because we just got setup with Google apps at the unit... :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Quote from: NIN on June 11, 2014, 12:03:35 AM
BTW, I want to watch this as an IT guy (in my day job, dealing with Google Apps a bunch) but also because we just got setup with Google apps at the unit... :)
Hell, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong...any input will be welcome!

a2capt

"Please sign in with an authorized account to view this content."

It appears to be restricted to within the tncap.us domain. You may need to manually add users from outside, or open up something further than you have now.

JeffDG

Should be fixed now...missed one checkbox to open it up.

a2capt

JeffDG

OK...

6/21 is a no-go...SER Exercise happening that I'd like to try and participate in if I can.

6/28 is out too.

7/5 is on the 4th of July long weekend, not going there...

7/12 looks like the next good day!

Sorry, guys...juggling a bunch of balls in the air right now.

a2capt

Just stabbing in the dark .. but .. any weekday/evening? .. anything wrong with the other 50% of the weekend? :)

Of course, it depends on the host's availability and preference.. :)

Never hurts to ask..

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2014, 03:54:15 PM
Just stabbing in the dark .. but .. any weekday/evening? .. anything wrong with the other 50% of the weekend? :)

Of course, it depends on the host's availability and preference.. :)

Never hurts to ask..

I'd love to do weekday, but honestly, after work and stuff, I find I end up being just drained, then finding a reasonable time with timezones (at least for TNWG stuff we just have EDT and CDT)...

UWONGO2

Another vote for Google Apps for Education. Although we're really only using it for email and document storage right now, it's easy, it's free, and we're excited about the possibilities of what the system can do for us.

aviator9417

Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

JeffDG

Quote from: aviator9417 on August 21, 2014, 09:15:10 PM
Did I miss the party?

No...got sidetracked and haven't circled back to holding this...let me find a date that works!

jeders

*bump*

Any updates on this? If scheduling is an issue, have you thought about just recording a basic instructional video and posting it to YouTube? Not quite as nice as being able to interact, but it gets the job done.

On a side note, I got the go ahead from my squadron commander to set our squadron up for Google Apps, and I'm wondering what most people used as the Mission Statement; a generic CAP statement or your own.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Where do you need a mission statement? 

Is that just for the website?

"That Others May Zoom"