sUAS Pilot CAPF F5U and CAPF 91U

Started by etodd, March 04, 2019, 01:47:50 AM

etodd

For any CAP airplane Pilot, the F5 form and yearly exam is familiar.  The F5U for sUAS Pilot is very similar:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45x1hh491nl1iqm/AAA8nTsxLyooyOW8Es4lRGbDa/CAPF%205U%20sUAS%20Flight%20Evaluation%20v5.doc?dl=0

Similarly for sUAS Mission Pilot status, there is  the CAPF 91U:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45x1hh491nl1iqm/AACu04UWDu9bQLpD1GkqWtTta?dl=0&preview=CAPF+91U+sUAS+Mission+Pilot+Flight+Evaluation+v4.docx

(Preliminary viewing. Subject to revision)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Quote from: etodd on March 04, 2019, 01:47:50 AM

The words you're looking for there are "Unofficial, unreleased draft. Not covered under any existing regulation."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2019, 02:45:09 AM
Quote from: etodd on March 04, 2019, 01:47:50 AM

The words you're looking for there are "Unofficial, unreleased draft. Not covered under any existing regulation."

Being used currently, and will be used at Hdqs in a couple weeks for many members from several wings who will become sUAS Mission Pilots and Instructor Pilots, so they can go back to their Wings and start teaching others.

So ... its current and being used as of today.

(Just because its not online yet, doesn't mean it isn't being fully utilized by those who are using it.)

Eclipse

What, on Thermian's planet is the big hurry on leaking these documents?

If it affects a member, they have access, if it doesn't, it's useless.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2019, 03:25:40 AM
What, on Thermian's planet is the big hurry on leaking these documents?

If it affects a member, they have access, if it doesn't, it's useless.

Its not a leak.  The National Program Manager, Lt. Col. Worcester, has said it was ok to share them.

The topic of drones has come up numerous times in threads over the last several years by members who are excited by the idea and have been waiting for this time to come.

So ... there will be at least 10 packages rolled out to each Wing by fiscal year end 2020. Thats just 10 Squadrons per Wing.  Now who do you think will get them?  The Squadrons who wait until the program is fully implemented, or the Squadrons like mine that are starting Part 107 classes now, and training with drones now, and will be holding their hands up when our Wing is ready, saying "Our Squadron has four (or more) experienced Part 107 certificate holders, ready to go"?

Your Squadron may not be interested. Perfectly fine.  But I'm acting as both cheerleader and coach at the moment, for those who want to get ahead and be prepared.

If anyone has questions they don't care to ask here, feel free to PM me. I'm just trying to help those who are interested. :)

PHall

Then why isn't the Program Director the one releasing them?

If it isn't officially released then it's a leak.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on March 04, 2019, 05:18:21 AM
Then why isn't the Program Director the one releasing them?

If it isn't officially released then it's a leak.

They are happy to have folks helping.

If you only knew the workload these folks are under now. This program is rolling out faster than they can get things online. Keeping docs and flight records on paper since WIMRS isn't ready yet.

Those who are interested are already training. Those who are not interested can easily skip over my posts here.

I'm here to help the former. It's all good. 😀

NIN

Quote from: etodd on March 04, 2019, 02:59:45 AM
(Just because its not online yet, doesn't mean it isn't being fully utilized by those who are using it.)

I direct you to Civil Air Patrol Regulations 0-2 and 0-9. These are the official sources of information on current publications and forms. Anything else is not authorized.  What part of this is unclear?

If you're running a "national form" that doesn't appear in the index, you're not running an official approved "national form." You're operating in the "avoid" region of the height-velocity diagram.  Meaning you're on your own if something happens while using unapproved and unauthorized guidance.  Can you imagine the chaos that would result if people decided that they want to start operating from draft guidance in advance of it being officially published?  "I like the requirement in the draft 70-1 better than the ones in the current one, so I'll just start using that..."

The publication process is substantially an approval process by parts of the HQ staff, not just the OPR, and isn't solely "its just not on the website yet."

A publication appears there after its been fully vetted and approved by people who know way more about things like, say, the legal ramifications of the proposed guidance.  If you'd like to start doing operational things with draft guidance before people like the General Counsel has approved it, then its your membership on the line there buddy, and potentially your livelihood.

I've seen too many instances in my time in the organization where someone decided they wanted to get way, way ahead of things and then got burnt, badly burnt, when, at the end of the day, they were basing their actions off "a conversation I had with the Lt Col in charge of this at national conference" or "an email I saw from a guy.."

Posting this and saying "this is the upcoming draft for knowledge and understanding of whats coming down the pike. This is a draft." is one thing.  Telling people to start using it is another.

I'm not going to tell you this again: stop doing that.  If you don't like it, you can go thru the hassle and expense to start "http://capsusastalk.net" and then have all the fun you want telling people how to do things that aren't approved in your own sandbox. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2019, 03:17:36 PM

Posting this and saying "this is the upcoming draft for knowledge and understanding of whats coming down the pike. This is a draft." is one thing.  Telling people to start using it is another.

Oh wow!  Yes, I fully AGREE.

Everything I have posted is for people to see what is coming and to start preparing. Maybe I need to go back and review all my posts, but in the case of this thread for example, at the top, nowhere did I say "start using it".  Until you have a sUAS Check Pilot in your Squadron, there is no way to start working thru the F5u and F91U.  Surely people are not getting confused on that? If so, please understand you cannot actually start getting checked off on anything until then.

When the National Program Director  said it was ok to start sharing these, the intent was for members to see what was coming, "what types of things" would be required, so that members who are interested could start training and studying, on their own, to be prepared to hit the ground running when their time comes.

Current CAP pilots working toward their Part 107 for example is a very good thing. And is an FAA deal specifically. CAP training materials not needed for that portion.

So thats all I'm doing.  I really don't understand all the push back I'm seeing here.  The new sUAS Program is going to be a huge recruitment bonus. Going to get Cadets and Seniors both involved in hands on programs that will help revitalize many Squadrons.

NIN

Quote from: etodd on March 04, 2019, 04:56:56 PM
Everything I have posted is for people to see what is coming and to start preparing. Maybe I need to go back and review all my posts, but in the case of this thread for example, at the top, nowhere did I say "start using it". 

You might not have said "start using it," but here you basically said "this is in use" and "even though its not online and official, its official"

QuoteBeing used currently, and will be used at Hdqs in a couple weeks for many members from several wings who will become sUAS Mission Pilots and Instructor Pilots, so they can go back to their Wings and start teaching others.

So ... its current and being used as of today.

Thats like coming along later and saying "I only asked very loudly if there was a FIRE in the theater. I didn't actually shout 'FIRE' and mean that one existed. That stampede wasn't my fault."

I'm not kidding: stop.

If you want to pushback on this, you'll get to do so AFTER  you sit out a 24 hour ban for talking back to the Administrators when they've told you to stop behaving in a certain way.

I don't care what you think here, Ed.  I'm telling you you're doing it wrong.  I don't care how right you think you are, you're not.

[Argh, fixed my poor quoting. -NIN]
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

etodd

Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2019, 05:05:34 PM

Thats like coming along later and saying "I only asked very loudly if there was a FIRE in the theater. I didn't actually shout 'FIRE' and mean that one existed. That stampede wasn't my fault."

Got  it. I'll really try and word things better from now on. My saying "its being used" did appear to sound like it could be at Squadron level, which is not correct. I see that. Its just at Hdqs training levels for now.

So I'll cool off, and wait until after next weeks training sessions at Montgomery Hdqs, for several Wings, to post again. Should be lots of great info at that point. :)

PHall

Quote from: etodd on March 04, 2019, 06:42:40 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 04, 2019, 05:05:34 PM

Got  it. I'll really try and word things better from now on. My saying "its being used" did appear to sound like it could be at Squadron level, which is not correct. I see that. Its just at Hdqs training levels for now.

So I'll cool off, and wait until after next weeks training sessions at Montgomery Hdqs, for several Wings, to post again. Should be lots of great info at that point. :)

How about wait until the regs are actually released before you even post about them.
That way there is NO CONFUSION AT ALL if this is a "real" regulation or not.