Squadron Leadership School - resident only, or online also?

Started by wmackirdy, February 04, 2018, 11:44:53 PM

wmackirdy

The new National Website, on the Level II Training page, includes Lesson Plans, Student Guides, and Slides for SLS. Is it possible to take the course online, or does is it classroom only?
Maj Wayne MacKirdy
Chaplain, Major, US Army (retired)
Comms Officer, ES Officer, MRO, CDI, etc etc

kwe1009

SLS, CLC, and UCC are all available online.  You register through eServices.

Fester

Quote from: kwe1009 on February 05, 2018, 12:03:33 AM

But all three require in-residence portions don't they?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

grunt82abn

I did not have an in-residence for SLS, nor do I think the others have one either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

arajca

All three are available in both on-line and in-person versions. The lesson plans, etc, are for the in-person version to allow directors, staff, and instructors to access them easily.

Holding Pattern

There are also "blended" courses available in some areas.

Shuman 14

Question, would CAP allow non-members attend an in-residence course?

For an example an USCGAux member or a local volunteer search and rescue team looking for a basic leadership course for volunteers to attend?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

arajca

Given that these are course specific to CAP, and are not general leadership type courses, I think it would a waste of their time.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on February 05, 2018, 02:31:41 AM
Given that these are course specific to CAP, and are not general leadership type courses, I think it would a waste of their time.

For the most part, agreed. There are tidbits in just about every lesson that could be considered general leadership, but it's mostly CAP-centric.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: Fester on February 05, 2018, 12:51:11 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on February 05, 2018, 12:03:33 AM

But all three require in-residence portions don't they?

All three are available 100% online.  SLS and CLC is also available 100% in residence.  UCC is available as a blended course with some online work and then an in residence piece.  You can't do UCC 100% in residence any longer.

MDMike2017

All 3 are available online and registered via eServices. I'm taking SLS online right now, but it's also offered locally wing-to-wing.

MacGruff

I'd like to put a plug in for in-person attendance.

I have been through it myself, as well as taught it several times in the past months. There are two significant benefits to attending in-person that are not available to you if you take it on-line:

1.   While the slides and reading materials are standardized (and out of date in some cases), there is significant discussion that addresses the meaning and local implications of these that is irreplaceable
2.   Meeting other members of the organization who are at the same spot in their CAP "careers" leads to contacts that can prove to be very helpful

kwe1009

Quote from: MacGruff on February 05, 2018, 11:35:02 PM
I'd like to put a plug in for in-person attendance.

I have been through it myself, as well as taught it several times in the past months. There are two significant benefits to attending in-person that are not available to you if you take it on-line:

1.   While the slides and reading materials are standardized (and out of date in some cases), there is significant discussion that addresses the meaning and local implications of these that is irreplaceable
2.   Meeting other members of the organization who are at the same spot in their CAP "careers" leads to contacts that can prove to be very helpful

Definitely agree.  Even if you already took the classes online, you will get a lot out of going back and doing it in residence.

Fester

For those with experience doing SLS and CLC online....

From my understanding, these are a weekly "meeting" via teleconferencing. What nights do these courses usually meet?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Ozzy

Quote from: Fester on February 07, 2018, 12:08:41 AM

From my understanding, these are a weekly "meeting" via teleconferencing. What nights do these courses usually meet?

I did online CLC and we didn't have any teleconferencing. We had weekly reading and assignments and they were pass/fail with minimal effort from some of the participants. I was a bit disappointed with it honestly but I understand that is run by volunteers.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Fester

Quote from: Ozzy on February 07, 2018, 12:39:16 AM

I did online CLC and we didn't have any teleconferencing. We had weekly reading and assignments and they were pass/fail with minimal effort from some of the participants. I was a bit disappointed with it honestly but I understand that is run by volunteers.

Glad to hear it.  Weeknights and Weekends are when I work.  So pretty much every extra-curricular event (with a few irregular exceptions) don't fit in with my schedule.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Ozzy on February 07, 2018, 12:39:16 AM
Quote from: Fester on February 07, 2018, 12:08:41 AM

I did the online SLS - no teleconference.  The online CLC is presented via Blackboard, which is a high quality web-based provider of online material for various organizations.  The presentation is good but there is no teleconference aspect to the class.  Regular participation is required to pass.  Ozzy's comment about minimal participation is an excellent observation, and it can apply to any class you take online.  One of my work colleagues took a bachelor's degree via the Phoenix online system; the material was good, and the outcomes were excellent, but she deliberately took a break at one point so that she was taken out of a particular 'learning group' due to several of that cohort not supporting the team effort but still getting passing grades.  The equivalent to sitting at the back of the room and staying quiet, I suppose!

Here's my 10 cents...spend wisely!  Online isn't suitable for every subject.  In person is the best way to attend any training or class, but an online experience is better than not taking the training.   If you can later attend an in-person class or part of it, so much the better but at least you're doing the training.

Shuman 14

Quote from: SarDragon on February 05, 2018, 10:21:35 AM
For the most part, agreed. There are tidbits in just about every lesson that could be considered general leadership, but it's mostly CAP-centric.

Thank you.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

J2H

I'm registered for MDWG's online SLS (should be late spring)... how does it work online?  Certain dates you meet (teleconference)?
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Baker

Thanks for this thread, was worried I would have to wait until late July and drive across state to get my SLS done.  Just signed up on e-services and awaiting the e-mail
Garett Baker
CAP 2LT
Former U.S. Army
Former C/2LT