ILWG members, what's the process for green lighting?

Started by xray328, July 03, 2018, 12:54:31 PM

xray328

What's the process for Wing to green light an applicants NCSA? Does the cadet apply for it at the squadron level and it's moved up the chain from there? Or does the Wing CC select cadets directly?  I've asked this at the local level and no one seems to know.

MSG Mac

Speak to your Wing Cadet Programs Officer. There is a formula for computing points and standards (which I looked for on E-services and couldn't find)
The point calculations gives points for:

Milestone awards
Previous NCSA's attended, and a few other criteria
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

xray328

I believe you're referring to NCSA selection criteria?  I'm looking for the process of being green lighted for the activity. Wings are allowed to  "green light" 10% of their applicants which gives those cadets priority in one of their choices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

You probably should still ask the DCP if you have a concern or are still waiting on an approval (soon, too as he's gonna be real busy in a couple weeks).

I'm not aware of ILWG having any green-light process, per se, for a while.  I don't know that it's been necessary
due to a relatively low application rate.

In the last several years, all I was doing was approving apps at the unit level, and hadn't ever heard of
any of mine being disapproved at the wing level.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

When I say "green lighting" I'm not referring to Wing approving applicants.  Wing has the authority to bump 10% of the applicants to priority status so that these cadets are almost guaranteed to be selected to one of their NCSA choices.  Green lighted cadets are "highly recommended" and have 100 points added to their score.  As a reference this year's average score was in the low 30's.

This is how INWG does it...

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/INWG_OI_1801_NCSA_Green_Light_31_MA_01DF2B6DB0F3F.pdf

They take ground team and aviation ratings in to consideration for instance.

Eclipse

DCP is the one with your answer.  I don't believe ILWG has a process.

The last message I can find with that reference is from NHQ in 2016 and indicates that green-lights
have a deadline of 1 March.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2018, 08:00:09 PM
DCP is the one with your answer.  I don't believe ILWG has a process.

The last message I can find with that reference is from NHQ in 2016 and indicates that green-lights
have a deadline of 1 March.

Thanks.  I think that's the issue though, ILWG doesn't have a process in place.  I'll reach out to them.

Offutteer

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, the wings had to rank all of their cadets that applied for an NCSA.  It was weird, because after you ranked them, NHQ did "something" and your #10 cadet would get into an activity that your #1 cadet had applied to as his first choice, but the #1 cadet didn't get in.

So, after many calls about why did Johnny get in when I ranked Timmy as #1 and it was his first choice and why didn't Sally get into any of her choices, NHQ decided to create a standardized ranking process at the national level and then allow the wings to "Green Light" 10% of their cadets.  I think the highest score a cadet can receive is 75 or so, so adding 100 to their score,  puts the green lights ahead of everyone else. 

There was also an issue with each wing ranking their cadets.  How do you compare the #5 cadet from Idaho (where maybe 5 cadets applied) to the #5 cadet from TX or CA?

Of course, when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, there were only a handful of NCSAs. 

xray328

I really think green lighting helps motivate cadets to reach out beyond weekly meetings.  With the current system you don't see the big picture with the applicants.  AE, ES etc aren't considered.  Region CAC...doesn't matter. Served on staff a half a dozen times at Encampment? Doesn't matter.  GTM1? Not considered.   

Not that cadets should be doing these things to get something in return, but cadets attending meetings and promoting is all that's considered unless your Wing participates in the green lighting process. 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: xray328 on July 03, 2018, 08:33:47 PM
I really think green lighting helps motivate cadets to reach out beyond weekly meetings.  With the current system you don't see the big picture with the applicants.  AE, ES etc aren't considered.  Region CAC...doesn't matter. Served on staff a half a dozen times at Encampment? Doesn't matter.  GTM1? Not considered.   

Not that cadets should be doing these things to get something in return, but cadets attending meetings and promoting is all that's considered unless your Wing participates in the green lighting process. 

In my experience most cadets are surprised that NCSA selection is competitive at all, rendering any opportunity for politicking by the cadet around green-lighting kind of moot.

If a cadet is motivated to attend a particular NCSA, I would much rather see them work hard for their next milestone and intelligently plan their NCSA applications to maximize their chances under the normal subjective system. If I feel like a cadet needs an advocate, then I always have the option to go to bat for them under the green light system.

xray328

My daughter is busting tail and can't get any more points in areas she has any control over.  Age, time in the program etc are all areas she can't change.  She's a couple months away from C/Lt Col so she's done everything she can there as well. 

If your Wing isn't active in the green light program you're really at a huge disadvantage.  Let's say CAWG has 300 cadets apply for NCSA's, that means 30 of their cadets can enter the selection process with scores in the low 130's (based on last year's average).  Even if you maxed out the NCSA scoring criteria (max score of 75 was it?) you're not competitive against their 30 cadets.  And based on last year's average you surely aren't competitive in the low 30's.