Main Menu

Windows 98 Computer Help.

Started by Hoorah, December 20, 2009, 01:48:14 AM

Eclipse

The GIMP & Winamp, but you may need to hunt old versions.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

If you're going to go Unix, forget Linux and go for the best user experience around — Macintosh. So good, in fact, that Bill Gates made a poor copy that ran over DOS called, uh, "Windows."

You might pay a little more, but you get what you pay for. Windows 7 = Mac OS 9

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

davidsinn

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 23, 2009, 07:14:18 AM
If you're going to go Unix, forget Linux and go for the best user experience around — Macintosh. So good, in fact, that Bill Gates made a poor copy that ran over DOS called, uh, "Windows."

Except you'd pay $2000 for a computer that's really only worth a grand. The cadet has the computer already and is looking to use it as is.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: davidsinn on December 23, 2009, 11:03:45 AM

Except you'd pay $2000 for a computer that's really only worth a grand. The cadet has the computer already and is looking to use it as is.

The base MacBook is $999, and for most people, that's enough.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 23, 2009, 07:27:54 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 23, 2009, 11:03:45 AM

The base laptop these days is what? 500-400?

helper

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on December 22, 2009, 10:05:02 PM
I am looking for software such as picture editing software to music software to maps etc for Windows 98.

You might try Irfanview for the picture editing, music & video playing software. Its FREE and it should work on Win98. Download both the program and the plugins. Read the FAQ's and play with it. I use it for scanning and cropping images for ebay.

http://www.irfanview.com/

In addition to an older version of MS Office, you might consider a simple text editor. There are several popular FREE ones available for download from http://download.cnet.com/windows/ Select Top Freeware and browse away.

Some of the fun of using an older PC is locating and installing the software. The process will teach you a lot about computers.

I just had another thought that you might look at purchasing really cheep (or getting free) upgrades like memory or a larger hard drive.  The free part comes in when IT people upgrade and end up with surplus, out of date tech stuff.

enjoy
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 23, 2009, 07:27:54 PM

For most people, that's two or three and a printer.

Boutique product, limited feature set, horrible support for business users, too expensive.
World-class engineering, at the expense of choice.  Form over function.

But you do get the xtra-large smug that comes with paying more for no reason.
Don't get me started on the steaming pile of smokescreen that is the iPhone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Hey, my fiancee just got the iPhone, after having the Touch for a year. It works as a phone, it has all the features of the Touch.

My touch is very much a media piece for me, even with just wifi. Is it a business phone? Not so much. But then again, I wouldn't want work calling while I'm listening to"My Humps" and playing Spore.

flyerthom

I am looking for software such as picture editing software to music software to maps etc for Windows 98.
http://www.openoffice.org/ has everything you can do with MS Office for free.
TC

SarDragon

Quote from: flyerthom on December 24, 2009, 04:07:18 AM

But will it run on Win 98?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2009, 05:47:54 AM
Quote from: flyerthom on December 24, 2009, 04:07:18 AM

But will it run on Win 98?

version 2 will
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hoorah

Quote from: helper on December 23, 2009, 08:16:51 PM

You might try Irfanview for the picture editing, music & video playing software. Its FREE and it should work on Win98. Download both the program and the plugins. Read the FAQ's and play with it. I use it for scanning and cropping images for ebay.

http://www.irfanview.com/

In addition to an older version of MS Office, you might consider a simple text editor. There are several popular FREE ones available for download from http://download.cnet.com/windows/ Select Top Freeware and browse away.

Some of the fun of using an older PC is locating and installing the software. The process will teach you a lot about computers.

I just had another thought that you might look at purchasing really cheep (or getting free) upgrades like memory or a larger hard drive.  The free part comes in when IT people upgrade and end up with surplus, out of date tech stuff.

enjoy
I like the IT please let me know by message when they are.

Hoorah

Well I have good news about my (old out of date computer) I have been able to make it sufficient to run. I can put new software on it but only if the software was made from 1990-1999 era.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on December 20, 2009, 01:48:14 AM
People probably would say why am I creating a topic like this here is the reason. I just recieved a pre christmas gift a Windows 98 laptop. I am struggling to figure out what office programs, to maps I can use.
All help would be  very helpfull.
I'm sorry, but Windows 98? Why did someone give you a Windows 98 computer? We are currently on OS Windows 7. Time to sell that computer and get a new(er) one.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: C/SrA Lunsford on February 15, 2010, 04:21:11 PM
I'm sorry, but Windows 98? Why did someone give you a Windows 98 computer? We are currently on OS Windows 7. Time to sell that computer and get a new(er) one.

Who's "we"?

While I don't have any 98 machines, I have several Win2k machines, and a number of XP notebooks.  Vista is an abomination before the Lord, and Windows 7 has few, if any, compelling features to justify the cost - the graphical nonsense is disabled the first hour any tech professional has the machine, and that's about all that's "different".  MS is still selling plenty of XP in the netbook market.

In fact, there really hasn't been a significant change in Windows in a decade, and not much improvement in hardware, beyond multi-cores
in at least 5 years.

Just because Big Box Mart decides to ask for more money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 04:44:59 PM

Who's "we"?

While I don't have any 98 machines, I have several Win2k machines, and a number of XP notebooks.  Vista is an abomination before the Lord, and Windows 7 has few, if any, compelling features to justify the cost - the graphical nonsense is disabled the first hour any tech professional has the machine, and that's about all that's "different".  MS is still selling plenty of XP in the netbook market.

In fact, there really hasn't been a significant change in Windows in a decade, and not much improvement in hardware, beyond multi-cores
in at least 5 years.

Just because Big Box Mart decides to ask for more money, doesn't mean you need to spend it.
Thanks Eclipse.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 04:44:59 PM

Who's "we"?

in at least 5 years.

We as in a Computer Community. That is what I meant.

I did not mean to come off rude, if I did, but Windows 98 was 12 years ago. CAP has update their software (if any) to at least Windows XP.

But congrats for getting a Computer.

Wright Brothers #13915

Hoorah

C/MSgt Lunsford

Wright Brothers #13915