Main Menu

Outside look at CAP

Started by UWONGO2, June 07, 2018, 08:08:48 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on June 10, 2018, 03:17:20 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 10, 2018, 02:31:30 AM
Quote from: etodd on June 10, 2018, 12:43:04 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 10, 2018, 12:26:03 AM

The Air Force DOES give a "Flying Flip" about those missions.

If you read my post above you'll see I was referring to the average USAF rank and file member. Most of them don't know about us or care. I did mentioned that all the good things we get are "from on high". The powers that be at the top DO CARE. You betcha.

I just get tickled at a few "military wannabes" we have in CAP that get all bent out of shape when regular rank and file AF folks don't know about us. Its amusing to watch the steam come out of their ears.

I hope you're not calling me a "military wannabe".... I have a Retired Military ID Card that says you're wrong.
Plus personal attacks are a big no no here.

No, no, no. Not you at all.  I didn't point to you at all, in any shape form or fashion. My whole point was talking about AF rank and file and what they think, or don't think of CAP.  You're missing my point. Guess I didn't explain it well.  So lets just move on.   :)

Read the thread instead of lecturing people with 5x's your time-in who actually have to deal with the
"best secret problem" on a regular basis.

Your mantra is "I just do my job and are interested in..." then you want to tell everyone how things work.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 10, 2018, 05:15:50 PM
At the end of the day, the CAP mission affects very few USAF Airmen. There is a small interface and crucial linkage points, but we're not mixed in with the general day-to-day Air Force mission, neither in operational or service support.

It's not like Airmen at boot camp are learning about FEMA or the Navy is teaches about the Merchant Marines. These are things that get taught to the applicable people when they have a role that requires that knowledge. The guy loading GBU-30s onto B-1Bs doesn't need to know what role CAP has in the Total Force.

^^^ This.

Eclipse is correct. I should just keep my mouth shut, cause eventually someone with more time in will word what I was trying to say much better anyway, like SkyHornet just did. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

Alright, hug it out guys.

Chappie

It would seem to me that more USAF base commanders would need to know that CAP exists and is part of the "Total Force".  That might help a lot of our units/wings gain access to base facilities for conducting CAP training events, etc. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2018, 03:20:12 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 08, 2018, 12:53:11 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2018, 02:58:19 PM
+1 on the above, and also...

Kind words aside, it's unfortunate that a USAF O-5 had such little knowledge of CAP before.

Well, when when there is little to no mention of CAP in Air Force Professional Military Education.
What do you expect?

Honestly?  I would like field grade officers to know more about their service then
the bare minimum.  The joke about the "best kept secret" is salient on the
civilian side, but CAP is hardly a secret within the USAF itself.

There are more then a few reports on the official site, and CAP is regularly mentioned
on local new sites, especially after a disaster, which sadly has been more common the
last 5-10 years.

It's one thing for a slick-sleeve 18 year old right out of Lackland to be clueless, but
how does someone go 16-20 years+ in the USAF without ever having their interest peaked
in whatever that "auxiliary" thingie is?

I know it's apparently common, I just don't understand how.

And the fact that it still is, shows just how "Total" the "Force" actually is.

I mean...isn't that the joke of the whole thing? CAP just isn't important to USAF Operations in the long run. If it didn't exist, those missions would be fulfilled by someone else.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

abdsp51

Quote from: Chappie on July 26, 2018, 02:16:22 AM
It would seem to me that more USAF base commanders would need to know that CAP exists and is part of the "Total Force".  That might help a lot of our units/wings gain access to base facilities for conducting CAP training events, etc.

Wing Commanders know about CAP in fact every group commander and up in the AF heiarchy knows about CAP.  I don't recall what it's called but every one who is appointed a group commander or higher attends it.

CAP is part of the "Total Force" just not to the extent that everyone wishes it would be. 

There is nothing wrong with CAP using an installation for things as long as the proper steps are taken,  which some folks seem to think they shouldn't have to do.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 16, 2018, 02:45:51 PM
CAP is part of the "Total Force" just not to the extent that everyone wishes it would be. 

TF is essentially a meaningless marketing term, the sooner it's dropped, the better.

It looks nice on T-Shirts, and sounds nice in press releases, but a significant part of the
membership, perhaps the majority, is never, and will never, be under the TF umbrella,
and even for those who occasionally are, the term "seldom" would be benevolent.

The Cadet Program and AE, fully 2/3rds of the mission, are by definition excluded,
and ES is only TF on actual missions.

CAP is part of TF in the same way the civilian employees sorting Tri-Care forms are..."technically".

I've had more then a few members express to me that after they read the fine print
on TF, the exclusion of their important duty and contributions seems as much of a demotivator
as those who are excluded from wearing the USAF style uniforms.  Not at the top of the list,
but it's on there, and unnecessary.

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 16, 2018, 02:45:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with CAP using an installation for things as long as the proper steps are taken,  which some folks seem to think they shouldn't have to do.

Agreed - the unfortunate thing is that on a lot of installations, especially the Guard, (which is understandable because that's state-based), CAP is treated like any other
community organizaiton such as the BSA, Sea Cadets, etc., including in some cases (again Guard bases), being charged for resources.

"That Others May Zoom"