Magellan CrossoverGPS - This looks like the one!

Started by Lancer, November 23, 2006, 11:34:44 PM

Lancer

A thread I started back on CivilAirPortal.com asked the question: "Is there a GPS for Road and Trail?"

Well, after much research and my frustration level growing because GPS manufacturer's were not making a GPS that is best in all circumstances, Magellan finally comes through!

From their website:
http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=391
Small. Powerful. CrossoverGPS TM.

Now, you can own a GPS with advanced vehicle navigation and outdoor GPS routing capabilities in the world's first pocket-sized CrossoverGPS TM. Simple touch-screen menus make it easy to select virtually any destination and get turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance while on the road. Or you can take it on your Saturday hike, mark waypoints along the way and save the route to go again next weekend. Detailed built-in street maps of North America and light topographic maps of the 48 contiguous United States mean you'll never be lost.

Add optional detailed regional MapSendĀ® Topo1 topographic maps, MapSend BlueNav TM marine charts or MapSend Lakes charts via Secure Digital memory cards and navigate your outdoor adventures. The best-in-class battery offers up to 8 hours of use so you can navigate, search points of interest, plan trips, listen to music and view pictures from wherever you are.

Advanced auto navigation features include multi-destination routing, SmartDetourTM to route you around slow freeway traffic and SayWhere TM text-to-speech, which tells you both where to turn and the name of the street to turn on. The optional TrafficKit2 accessory makes it easy to avoid traffic with Real-time incident reports. (Subscription required for traffic reports only).

The sleek, rugged, and waterproof to IPX-4 design makes it easy to take it with you wherever your adventure takes you. The included Sport Guard TM provides added armor to enhance the Magellan CrossoverGPS' rugged endurance during outdoor use. The slip-resistant protection and built in lanyard hook make it easy to tackle the great outdoors.

Available soon!

1 Available in 2007

2 Available January 2007

I was all set to go to CompUSA tonight and buy the MIO 310x, but I think I'm going to wait for this one! What do you all think of it?

pixelwonk

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 23, 2006, 11:34:44 PM

I was all set to go to CompUSA tonight and buy the MIO 310x, but I think I'm going to wait for this one! What do you all think of it?

If it's not Scottish it's crrrraaap!

Ok, now that I got that out of my system...

In reference to the unit, it sounds like some sweet snivel-gear. The only thing I'm wondering about it is the physical size and shape.  Some of the similar types of navi units out there are of decent size but their miniaturized CRT shape makes them inconvenient for carrying in a pocket.  I tried to find out the physical specs, but that particular page on their website could not be pulled up in either Firefox nor IE. So, I'm still curious as to how clunky it is.  Probably small enough to fit in a stocking, though  :) 

Lancer

Quote from: tedda on November 24, 2006, 01:29:53 AM
In reference to the unit, it sounds like some sweet snivel-gear. The only thing I'm wondering about it is the physical size and shape.  Some of the similar types of navi units out there are of decent size but their miniaturized CRT shape makes them inconvenient for carrying in a pocket.  I tried to find out the physical specs, but that particular page on their website could not be pulled up in either Firefox nor IE. So, I'm still curious as to how clunky it is.  Probably small enough to fit in a stocking, though  :) 

Interesting. I've got the latest of both browsers on my system and no problem here. Albeit, their website is just a tad overbearing. meh.

If you look here there is a 3D demo that shows it with it's mates and from the looks of it, is slim enough to place in a pocket. One review says it will be out in December with an MSRP of $550.00.

Besides, the OD Green rubberized case fits so well with the rest of our gear.  ;D

Al Sayre

Just remember the cardinal rule for GT gear:  If you can't afford to have it lost, stolen or broken, it doesn't belong in your gear.

Pity the poor Cadet: "Um dad, you know that way cool $500 GPS you got me for Christmas? ..."
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Lancer

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 27, 2006, 12:31:04 PM
Just remember the cardinal rule for GT gear:  If you can't afford to have it lost, stolen or broken, it doesn't belong in your gear.

Pity the poor Cadet: "Um dad, you know that way cool $500 GPS you got me for Christmas? ..."

Well, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this would be a S'members only GPS, at least for this S'member.  ;D