USAF transition to OCP

Started by JK657, February 17, 2018, 04:40:22 PM

JK657

Yesterday during a question and answer session at Minot AFB, CMSAF Wright talked about the possible transition to OCP. He makes several points on why he and others feel it should happen and says a final decision and announcement should come out in the next week or two.

He implied a 4 year transition with an increase in uniform allowance to make up for the cost difference. You see him discuss it the video on his facebook page at about the 14:03 mark.

Tie in to Cap: After years and years of longing for the ABU and then finally getting it, it looks quite possible that it will no longer be the field uniform for the USAF.

NIN

Quote from: JK657 on February 17, 2018, 04:40:22 PM
Yesterday during a question and answer session at Minot AFB, CMSAF Wright talked about the possible transition to OCP. He makes several points on why he and others feel it should happen and says a final decision and announcement should come out in the next week or two.

He implied a 4 year transition with an increase in uniform allowance to make up for the cost difference. You see him discuss it the video on his facebook page at about the 14:03 mark.

Tie in to Cap: After years and years of longing for the ABU and then finally getting it, it looks quite possible that it will no longer be the field uniform for the USAF.

Just think: there should be a huge influx of ABUs available to CAP at that point. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

The AF has already been working this and moving towards phasing out the ABU.  IIRC from my source then it may already be in the works.  Thankfully I will retire long before this occurs. 

The tie in to CAP...  More ABUs for members and even though the AF may not consider it a field uniform it will still be considered AF style by the org so the rules will continue to apply. 

CAPLTC

Quote from: JK657 on February 17, 2018, 04:40:22 PM

Yummy.
I feel like this forum needs a whole separate sub-forum on this matter. :)
So in 10 years we'll transition to OCP just as the USAF is moving to whatever new cool thing the Army has adopted.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

JK657

I'm going to guess that within 24 hours of the announcement the AF is going to OCP we get a 20 page thread on when CAP is going to transition

coudano

Should have just kept woodland and made it "ours".  Annnnd.  Done.

foo

Quote from: coudano on February 17, 2018, 08:45:45 PM

That would make it a Corporate UniformTM, which we already have. Personally, I think eliminating camouflage uniforms altogether (at least for senior members) would be a great way to go.

CAPLTC

Quote from: foo on February 18, 2018, 01:53:37 AM
eliminating camouflage uniforms altogether (at least for senior members) would be a great way to go.

Yesssssss!
Preach it!
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

darkmatter

so long as that means we get to wear a proper looking uniform and no more mismatch BDU ABU uniform ill support any USAF new uniform. HATE the black BDU boots with the ABU im not trying to wear a Halloween costume

abdsp51

Quote from: darkmatter on February 18, 2018, 06:09:36 PM
so long as that means we get to wear a proper looking uniform and no more mismatch BDU ABU uniform ill support any USAF new uniform. HATE the black BDU boots with the ABU im not trying to wear a Halloween costume

There is a requirement for distinction between the USAF and CAP.  The black boots with the ABU and the Navy tapes are part of that.  Even if CAP got to wear OCPs there would be a significant distinction between CAP and the AF. 

darkmatter

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 18, 2018, 07:13:02 PM

There is a requirement for distinction between the USAF and CAP.  The black boots with the ABU and the Navy tapes are part of that.  Even if CAP got to wear OCPs there would be a significant distinction between CAP and the AF.

Im talking from the point of the USAF wear OCP's and CAP getting to wear the proper ABU's not to be rude but I think I did say that in my original post

abdsp51

Quote from: darkmatter on February 18, 2018, 07:41:34 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 18, 2018, 07:13:02 PM

Im talking from the point of the USAF wear OCP's and CAP getting to wear the proper ABU's not to be rude but I think I did say that in my original post

Once the AF has transitioned there will not be a change in ABUs.  It will still be considered an AF style uniform and the current standards will apply.  If you had paid attention to the post there is a requirement for distinction between CAP and the AF.  If you're so concerned with playing dress up just wear the corps and problem solved. 

darkmatter

thats all I wear, i dont wanna play dress up i just personal hate the way the black boot look with the ABU's

SAREXinNY

This is absolutely ridiculous. We need a standing policy that CAP uniform will mirror the current predominant USAF field uniform with the obvious CAP distinctive changes. When they phase in/out a uniform, so do we. Simple.

abdsp51

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 19, 2018, 12:47:23 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous. We need a standing policy that CAP uniform will mirror the current predominant USAF field uniform with the obvious CAP distinctive changes. When they phase in/out a uniform, so do we. Simple.

Simple in theory yes.  Execution who knows.  Let's hope theres no memo from SECDEF like there was for  ABUs and NHQ needs to start a package now.

CAP9907

AMEN!

Quote from: foo on February 18, 2018, 01:53:37 AM
Quote from: coudano on February 17, 2018, 08:45:45 PM

That would make it a Corporate UniformTM, which we already have. Personally, I think eliminating camouflage uniforms altogether (at least for senior members) would be a great way to go.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Ozzy

Already have the prototype!

Now if I could just get my photo to show up...

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

TheSkyHornet

ROTC units, CAP, and other military-based programs have typically been late in transitioning uniforms, wearing the "older" and "outdated" field uniforms.

There is an enormous cost associated with transitioning that military budgets can eat. That's not the case with us.

Geber

Points in favor of a standing policy for CAP to rapidly adopt any new USAF work uniform:

*Those who live close to bases that let us in can try on uniforms, feel the fabric, etc, instead of ordering on the web and hoping for the best (as with Vanguard).

*The military uniforms will be made in much greater quantities than corporate uniforms, so there ought to be economies of scale.

*Military uniforms are available from several non-military sources, corporate uniforms only available from Vanguard. Competition usually leads to better prices.

The main disadvantage I see is you can't write a policy now that will be good for quite a few years, because you can't describe the distinctions between the USAF version and the CAP version until the USAF version exists.

OldGuy