Main Menu

Course survey/critique

Started by arajca, January 06, 2008, 04:50:51 AM

arajca

When directing a course (SLS, CLC, TLC, etc), to you collect the end-of-course surveys?

If so, what do you do with the information collected?

Short Field

Yes, we collect the critiques and we actually read them.    ;)  Then we shred them.

The results are summarized and included in our end of course report to the Wing's Director of Professional Development.  Comments range from the quality of the instructors, the course material, the classroom conditions, and recommendations for things to be added or deleted to the class. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

For the old Level I classes, I always made copies and sent the originals to NHQ, copies to Wing, and kept a set.

The teaching team would sit down with them and review them, and take any necessary action.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

So, my sending the summary of results to the instructors and Wing PDO was appropriate after the TLC in Oct. I included the comments - minus any names - made by the students on the critiques.

It was my first time directing a course, and there isn't a whole of information about it available.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on January 07, 2008, 04:12:04 AM
So, my sending the summary of results to the instructors and Wing PDO was appropriate after the TLC in Oct. I included the comments - minus any names - made by the students on the critiques.

It was my first time directing a course, and there isn't a whole of information about it available.

IMHO, yes. That way the feedback becomes useful info, and not just a time wasting exercise at the end of a class. I also pointed out to my students that we did take their comments seriously, and where they were being sent.  I got a few doozies out of the deal, but forwarded them all.

There were two that had accompanying commentary from the teaching team because of some specific comments, but I never got any return flack, so everything must have been OK.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on January 07, 2008, 08:58:01 AM
Quote from: arajca on January 07, 2008, 04:12:04 AM

IMHO, yes. That way the feedback becomes useful info, and not just a time wasting exercise at the end of a class. I also pointed out to my students that we did take their comments seriously, and where they were being sent.  I got a few doozies out of the deal, but forwarded them all.

There were two that had accompanying commentary from the teaching team because of some specific comments, but I never got any return flack, so everything must have been OK.

Must not have been me, Dave.  You know I'd never make negative comment.

SarDragon

I don't recall that you were ever one of my students, y'olde fart.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy