Main Menu

Communications Tech Rating

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, September 14, 2018, 05:00:39 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

Who has a Communications Tech rating? What did you use to study for it?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 05:00:39 PM

This: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P214_3253F4F05A7E9.pdf

Has all the information you need in regards to resources, suggested reading, and service
requirements if you would like to earn the badge as a cadet or the rating as a senior member.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2018, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 05:00:39 PM

This: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P214_3253F4F05A7E9.pdf

Has all the information you need in regards to resources, suggested reading, and service
requirements if you would like to earn the badge as a cadet or the rating as a senior member.

I have checked that out. It is very vague so I wanted a bit more description on what I should study
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

It literally gives you the exact publications to read, the forms to be familiar with, and what you need to
do in regards to service in very specific detail.

Beyond that, you would need to address questions to the mentor you have been assigned.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

A bit of a side note to this. This is the only Specialty Track rating that a cadet can earn.

BraveRifles19D

Quote from: MacGruff on September 14, 2018, 08:25:56 PM
A bit of a side note to this. This is the only Specialty Track rating that a cadet can earn.
A cadet can also earn the Historian badge.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

arajca

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on September 17, 2018, 10:15:34 AM
Quote from: MacGruff on September 14, 2018, 08:25:56 PM
A cadet can also earn the Historian badge.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
And the basic ES specialty badge.

LSThiker

Cadets can earn four of the specialty track badges:
1.  Communications (Basic, Senior, and Master badges)
2.  Emergency Services (basic only)
3.  Historian (basic only)
4.  Information Technology (basic only)

Before someone gets into a semantics game, yes cadets cannot earn the specialty track ratings, just the badges, as obviously spelled out in the regulations.   

Interestingly, communications gives a new cadet to senior transition member 4-years to earn the rating.  If not earned in that time, the member is to remove the badge.  Historian and IT specifically state that cadet-to-senior transition members must complete the time requirement and other senior member specific items to earn the rating, implying that the member must remove the badge after becoming a SM.  ES only states that cadets cannot officially receive the rating until they become SM.     

MacGruff

Sorry, I must not have been as clear as I wanted to be. A cadet can earn a Technician rating, in the Communications Specialty Track. It is documented via a Form 2A. It is only done in paper - unfortunately - and is the only one that I am aware of that is carried through when that cadet becomes a Senior Member. My reference is pamphlet 214.

NovemberWhiskey

Achieving the Technician rating requires completion of Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program. Ergo cadets cannot achieve the Technician rating. Cadets can wear the badge but not hold the rating ref CAPR 100-1 section 4.7

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: LSThiker on September 17, 2018, 01:36:25 PM
Cadets can earn four of the specialty track badges:
1.  Communications (Basic, Senior, and Master badges)
2.  Emergency Services (basic only)
3.  Historian (basic only)
4.  Information Technology (basic only)

Before someone gets into a semantics game, yes cadets cannot earn the specialty track ratings, just the badges, as obviously spelled out in the regulations.   

Interestingly, communications gives a new cadet to senior transition member 4-years to earn the rating.  If not earned in that time, the member is to remove the badge.  Historian and IT specifically state that cadet-to-senior transition members must complete the time requirement and other senior member specific items to earn the rating, implying that the member must remove the badge after becoming a SM.  ES only states that cadets cannot officially receive the rating until they become SM.   

What about safety?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on September 17, 2018, 09:15:49 PM
Sorry, I must not have been as clear as I wanted to be. A cadet can earn a Technician rating, in the
Communications Specialty Track. It is documented via a Form 2A. It is only done in paper - unfortunately -
and is the only one that I am aware of that is carried through when that cadet becomes a Senior Member. My reference is pamphlet 214.

Cadets do not earn the rating, per se, only the right to wear the badge, including for
up to 4 years after transitioning to senior-member status, after which time, if they have not
actually earned the rating as a senior member, they must remove it.

CAPR 100-1, Page 12
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R100_001_162D77B8183A1.pdf
"4.7. Cadet Eligibility for Communicator Badge/Patch. Cadets are encouraged to pursue each
level of the communicator badges. To do so, cadets must meet all the training requirements listed
in the appropriate section of CAPP 214 with the exception of the portions specifically intended for
the senior member training program. If a cadet authorized to wear a communications badge or
patch subsequently transfers to Senior Member status, badges/patches earned as a cadet may
continue to be worn for up to 4 years; however, remaining requirements of CAPP 214 must be
completed at each level in order to qualify as holding the actual Technician, Senior, or Master
levels of the specialty track.
See CAPP 214 for the approval process for cadets."

At a minimum, a cadet would have to be posted and serve as the DC or DCA after dark-siding.

Unfortunately the language of CAPP 214 was not properly vetted, so it is confusing.

CAPP 214, Page 4
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P214_3253F4F05A7E9.pdf
"When the commander is satisfied that a senior member can perform to the level applied
for and has met the service requirements, s/he records award of the rating in the
member's master record and online in the specialty track administration module in
eServices. Award of cadet ratings may be documented with a CAPF 2A."

Since in the WSOCP an "R" trumps a "P", 100-1 wins the pot.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Dang.

I had it wrong.

Oh well. Happens.

Thanks for the clarification.