Sacrificed his career for his men...

Started by denverpilot, May 10, 2012, 05:44:18 AM

denverpilot

Interesting lessons in integrity and leadership under difficult circumstances:

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2012/March%202012/0312thud.aspx

Also interesting to me, anyway, that even Robin Olds backed away from being caught up in the mess. That's a sure sign of serious trouble, considering his general (no pun intended) demeanor.

NIN

I think Olds, rightly so, saw his prior knowledge as something that would have caused a reversal or other negative action by the 13th AF had the court-martial not gone the way that Ryan wanted.   If Broughton had been acquitted by the court, they could have said "Olds knew about it in advance, it tainted the proceedings. Retrial."  I'm pretty sure Robin Olds would not run out on a guy like Jack Broughton without a darn good reason. And I wouldn't count this as "running out".

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

Also it seems to me like if you are willing to step into the middle of a fight and take a punch in the face, to save someone else... even if you successfully save them (which he did)...  then you still get punched in the face.

Seems like everyone here wanted everyone to get off scott free, which just isn't how it really works (nor really should work).

I suspect Broughton probably knew exactly what he was doing, and its probable consequences, when he did it.

lordmonar

Strange.......that we have these conversations.

Two guys screw up.  Okay...that happens. 
They lie about it.  Okay....not so good. 
They go to their boss's boss and tell all.....very good.
He dicides that it is better to order an NCO to destroy the evidence.
He then lies to a General about it.

When he finally fesses up....they want to rake him over the coals.......shocking....I mean he only particpated in covering up an international incident.

That he also compares himself to Billy Mitchell is intresting....as I think Billy got off lightly.

Bottom line.....yes we as leaders need to stand up for our troops.....but HOW you go about it is just as important as doing it in the first place.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

denverpilot

It's also interesting that there's at least anecdotal evidence that the ground based weapons were what hit the ship. That would mean the "international incident" started with a lie by the Russians in the first place. No big surprise there.