Main Menu

CAP Capt in VSAF

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 24, 2008, 05:54:57 PM

DNall

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 03:46:54 AM
Like me, the Major I work with tells everyone I am a perfect fit for the office. I have background in military, law enforcement, fire/ems, and emergency management. All are offices and programs we work with.

...The base offices have to sign up to have VSAF people in their office.... I think some offices were waiting to see how things go before jumping into the pit. I have been working on base for a about a month now and have seen a lot more jobs come open.

I hope you take that situation as a compliment on a job very well done.

mynetdude

GPVIIOps

Quote from: mynetdude on March 28, 2008, 04:05:04 AM
Really? so every time you are needed NOC issues you a mission number? I bet they use a special designator to indicate its a VSAF.  Or perhaps they use the same mission number just for that base for that year, I would presume fuel reimbursements are not included? Not that makes any difference, I wasn't planning on that but since you brought up AFAM I just had to ask.

I've done countless volunteer work for various places, and plenty on my own for CAP I pay for my own fuel I am just as happy. I was just curious if it applied to VSAF on AFAMs.

Not sure how that works, I never see the mission number, just know I am on an Air Force mission. And no I don't get fuel paid for, but I can claim the miledge on taxes..... thats about it.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

GPVIIOps

Quote from: DNall on March 28, 2008, 06:24:16 AM
Like me, the Major I work with tells everyone I am a perfect fit for the office. I have background in military, law enforcement, fire/ems, and emergency management. All are offices and programs we work with.

...The base offices have to sign up to have VSAF people in their office.... I think some offices were waiting to see how things go before jumping into the pit. I have been working on base for a about a month now and have seen a lot more jobs come open.

I do. I think this is a great program an is going to work out well for all of those involved. I have even build some bridges so if I get tired of my current line of work, I might end up as a civilian on base  ;)
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

mynetdude

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: DNall on March 28, 2008, 06:24:16 AM

I do. I think this is a great program an is going to work out well for all of those involved. I have even build some bridges so if I get tired of my current line of work, I might end up as a civilian on base  ;)

I'd like that actually... but I'd think they would prefer you have some kind of college education as most civvie jobs on base seem to require a college education at least that is what I have been told by several RM folks.  I don't know about you personally, you probably have a lot more experience on your belt than I of course so when I say you I wasn't implying you specifically.

As for fuel, I wasn't sure thats why I asked... yeah most of the fuel that I use is counted towards my tax deduction which is what I would have expected for any volunteer work I would do military or not.

Pylon

A round of applause is most certainly deserved, good sir.  You are doing great work for the Air Force and are also helping Civil Air Patrol's sometimes-tarnished image with many AF personnel. 

Keep us posted!  Very interesting stuff.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

Heres a poser for you?  Why did CAP national develop a special page for the VSAF program and then put it in the "Events" section of the web site?
http://www.cap.gov/visitors//events/

Eclipse

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 04:01:13 AM
I don't know how far they plan on taking it, or the time line. I do know that while on VSAF I am on an "Air Force Assigned Mission," mostly for insurance purposes I believe. So I don't know if they have thought about or would do other services, I hope so though.

Are you covered, then by FECA?  So if you are injured yo get some compensation?

"That Others May Zoom"

GPVIIOps

Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2008, 07:10:22 PM
Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 04:01:13 AM
I don't know how far they plan on taking it, or the time line. I do know that while on VSAF I am on an "Air Force Assigned Mission," mostly for insurance purposes I believe. So I don't know if they have thought about or would do other services, I hope so though.

Are you covered, then by FECA?  So if you are injured yo get some compensation?

Good Question, I really don't know. But I do have AFLAC through work, so I am covered either way.

Eclipse

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 30, 2008, 07:56:54 PM
Good Question, I really don't know. But I do have AFLAC through work, so I am covered either way.

Maybe - you might want to re-read that.  AFLAC does not get a Christmas card from me because of all the limitations they put on "risky" activities, and related situations.

If NHQ handles this as a AFAM, then the least they can do is provide FECA, especially considering the cost savings they are getting in not have a paid person in the slot.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If it is being done as an AFAM, then all the stuff that applies to other AFAMs should apply here. 

As noted in older threads about possible augmentation programs, current AF and CAP regulations and procedures regarding AFAMs are not set-up for such individual missions.  I suspect this is an issue that they will need to work on prior to any national launch of the program.

Given how other things are going, I bet that we will end up with some sort of monthly VSAF mission assigned at the Wing level in WMIRS and that individual members will need to report their time somehow into the system.