Main Menu

High quality ABU Boots?

Started by HGjunkie, March 20, 2014, 01:27:46 PM

HGjunkie

Hi everyone,

I was recently appointed to the USAFA and the packing list says I can bring my own set of ABU boots if already purchased. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a solid set of boots that'll last for a loooong time, has goretex, and are very comfortable.

Thanks!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

Quote from: HGjunkie on March 20, 2014, 01:27:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I was recently appointed to the USAFA and the packing list says I can bring my own set of ABU boots if already purchased. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a solid set of boots that'll last for a loooong time, has side-zip functionality and are very comfortable.

Is side-zip on the packing list/allowed?  Would suck to get to The Springs and have the cadre on you from minute-one for "non-reg boots" or similar. (keeping in mind that the USAFA has *totally* different uniform rules than the regular AF, for the most part)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

HGjunkie

Sorry, just edited the post, they don't allow side-zip (dangit).
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vento

Hi everyone,

I was recently appointed to the USAFA and the packing list says I can bring my own set of ABU boots if already purchased. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a solid set of boots that'll last for a loooong time, has goretex, and are very comfortable.

Thanks!

Don't know anything about ABU boots, but congrats on your appointment. That is outstanding!  :clap:

Patterson

Ask a current USAFA Cadet or wait for next months letter giving you the contact info of your mentor (the current second year Cadet that can answer any questions before you arrive). Congratulations!

AirAux

Having had a son attend and graduate USAFA, I would advise you not to take anything personal.  They will give you everything you need.  Take anything different from the herd and you will be selected..  And not in a good way.  They want uniformity.  Did I mention UNIFORMITY???  If you want to do something good for yourself, go to the USAFA store on the web and buy a copy of Contrails.  that is a small book with "Knowledge" you will be called upon to recite 24/7.  Start memorizing it and you will be ahead of many others.  Congratulations and get braced for "basic" training, ie, tents and mud and sweat, did I mention "SWEAT"?  Jack's Valley will soon become like the back of your hand.  If you have any question of your integrity and honor, get it straight now.  They don't screw around with that.  Don't quibble.  And if you don't know what that is, learn..  Welcome to the world of Doolie.  Although we don't know you personally, remember, we love and respect the heck out of all Air Force Cadets.  It will be hard, [darn] hard, but you will be amazed how fast the time flies.  Before you know it you will be looking back and saying "Wow, that was amazing."  Again congratulations, many of us are in CAP to encourage and support our cadets like you.  You will always have a family here and when/if you need someone to talk to we are here.         

sarmed1

I'm a big fan of bellevile's flight approved boot (I think its the 690) i wear the desert version as my everyday boot when not working.   A little heavy but I find them very comfortable.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

PHall

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 20, 2014, 09:14:49 PM
I'm a big fan of bellevile's flight approved boot (I think its the 690) i wear the desert version as my everyday boot when not working.   A little heavy but I find them very comfortable.

mk

+1 on the Bellevues. They are much better then the issue boots.

GroundHawg

The Bellville 690 are my loves, I wouldn't cheat on them for any other boots.

As I'm sure it will be tempting, do not get "sneaker" boots. Nike, Reebok, Adidas, etc... You will stick out like a sore thumb, and while approved for USAF wear, I'm not sure the USAFA allows them. As has been said, the nail who sticks out gets hammered.

FlyTiger77

Hi everyone,

I was recently appointed to the USAFA

Congratulations on your appointment. My son is about to finish his plebe year at the USMA (unless gymnastics...err.....military movement kills him!)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Storm Chaser

Congratulations on your appointment! My favorite ABU boots are made by Rocky (http://www.rockyboots.com). Check out their S2V model. These boots are rugged and very comfortable; more so than Belleville boots. That said, they're pricey and you probably won't need them, as they'll issue everything you need there. Unless you have a special need, I would save the money.

AirAux

FlyTiger77, Don't joke around.  My buddies brother fell off the gymnastic horse and broke his back when he landed on one of the supports.  Out of the Military..  Stupid gymnastics..

FlyTiger77

Quote from: AirAux on March 25, 2014, 03:29:53 PM
FlyTiger77, Don't joke around.  My buddies brother fell off the gymnastic horse and broke his back when he landed on one of the supports.  Out of the Military..  Stupid gymnastics..

Does that mean that I can't sing along to "Blood on the Risers" when I go down to his Airborne graduation, too? (Full disclosure: It was one of my favorite songs when I went through Airborne school back in the Dark Ages.)

My sincere sympathy to your friend for his unfortunate accident. Our lives take strange turns. A famous prophet once said, "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

AirAux

So true and many of the songs we sang in flight school were rather extreme also, but if one were to worry about everything, one would hav eno adventures, right?  When i heard this story it just broke my heart.  My son went to USAFA but I think they learned about etiquiette in the "O" Club..  Just kidding.  All of the Academies are top notch and he makes in the high six figures today.  He told me, "Dad, I'm not smarter than anybody else, but when I get up in the morning, I have my day planned and that is what I do."  I think he learned that at USAFA.   Anyhow, congratulations to your son.  My nephew is in his third year at USNA and going out for Seals Quals in April I think.  I do worry about these kids with the mess the world is in and our current political situation.  I seem to forget how immortal we were at their age..  Stay thirsty my friend.     

Rick-DEL

Congrats on the appointment !!!

Personally, I would only bring what's on the list and let the uniform items be provided by the USAFA. You really don't want to stand out on day one...it's fine to stand out later - but only if it's in a good way. Blend in, I learned that pretty quickly in USAF Basic Training  ;)

MIKE

I've heard of this with other schools... I thought it was so you could break them in before you get to the zoo.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

With the shenanigans that go on.. you may not want (something you paid extra for, and would be upset if harm came to it) like that around at all times..

Wait until things settle down, routines can be predicted, etc. before tying that..

AirAux

HGJunkie, Ther eis a new DVD being sold through the Air Force association that highlights a year at USAFA.  It is just coming out, so it should be very up-to-date.  You may want to consider gettting one to look at.  Also, start aerobic training seriously.  They are a mile high and oxygen runs out quick and you will be on the run for the first year. 

HGjunkie

Thank you everyone! I figure I'll wait on the boots for a while (At least until the academic year starts) - Fairly certain they issue out Belleville 650's from what I can tell from my friend's pictures there. Being from Florida I've got some serious conditioning to do before I hit altitude  :'(.

Quote from: AirAux on March 31, 2014, 04:36:57 PM
HGJunkie, Ther eis a new DVD being sold through the Air Force association that highlights a year at USAFA.  It is just coming out, so it should be very up-to-date.  You may want to consider gettting one to look at.

I'll check that video out!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AirAux

Here is the address: http://www.usafa.org/AOG

and then click on the Shop and you will see teh video, called "A Year in the Life"

good luck and keep us posted.