MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

All they had to do was go down to Anthony's Pizza down at the Exchange! >:D

They've had 3 year old pizza for sale for years!  >:D

MacGruff

I saw that item on a news cast. The talking head joked that he was surprised it took that long as it is the same shelf life as pizza in a dorm room...

:P

ColonelJack

Oh. heck, that's nothing.  When I was in JROTC back in high school (1975), we had a field training exercise and were sent out with C-rations.  (Remember those?)  I opened the box given me, which came from some storage facility at Fort Benning, and noted on the flap that the packaging date was October 1944.

October.  1944.  Thirty-one years before I was going to eat what was in those cans, those cans were filled with food.

You know what?  To the best of my memory, it tasted fine.  I certainly didn't get sick or anything.  (For those who want to know, it was some kind of beef stew.  I think.  I could never be totally sure what was in those cans.)

If they can do that, they can make pizza that will last for three years.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 19, 2014, 01:41:54 PM
Oh. heck, that's nothing.  When I was in JROTC back in high school (1975), we had a field training exercise and were sent out with C-rations.  (Remember those?)  I opened the box given me, which came from some storage facility at Fort Benning, and noted on the flap that the packaging date was October 1944.

October.  1944.  Thirty-one years before I was going to eat what was in those cans, those cans were filled with food.

You know what?  To the best of my memory, it tasted fine.  I certainly didn't get sick or anything.  (For those who want to know, it was some kind of beef stew.  I think.  I could never be totally sure what was in those cans.)

If they can do that, they can make pizza that will last for three years.

Jack

Interesting.  At about the same time I was a 'young lad' in the Royal Air Force and we had a weekend away on adventure training - very nice change from the training school - and we were issued with 'Compo' Rations (Composite is the full term I think).  Anyway, like ColonelJack I discovered a *really* old can of steak and kidney pudding.  Nobody would touch it so I took it home along with the excess tea bags (huge things which made around 2 pints of tea per bag - my father loved the stuff!).  We cooked the steak and kidney, and it was delicious!

It was known in the UK military as 'boiled baby's heads'..... >:D

Mind you, I was later on a 'front line' unit and issued field webbing (circa 1937 and a delightful eggshell blue in color) and a field dressing (circa 1944)....neither were in as good shape as the ration can!

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on February 15, 2014, 12:40:41 AM

ROFLMAO! Unless you made your own or bought a frozen pizza at Surfway, Anthony's was the only game in town for pizza on Kwaj! No wonder we went crazy eating Domino's/Pizza Hut/Papa John's when we stepped off the plane in Honolulu! :)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Panache

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 19, 2014, 05:44:00 PM

ROFLMAO! Unless you made your own or bought a frozen pizza at Surfway, Anthony's was the only game in town for pizza on Kwaj! No wonder we went crazy eating Domino's/Pizza Hut/Papa John's when we stepped off the plane in Honolulu! :)

Best pizza on O'ahu was a place called Big Kahuna's Pizza, bar none.

PHall

Quote from: Panache on February 19, 2014, 05:46:07 PM

The main factor in which pizza to get was proximity to the airport. The first one you see gets the business!

Panache

Quote from: PHall on February 20, 2014, 05:28:54 AM
The main factor in which pizza to get was proximity to the airport. The first one you see gets the business!

When we were stationed there, they had their shop in a little hole-in-the-wall store not too far from Salt Lake.  If you didn't know they were there, the crowd (and non-existent parking) was the only giveaway.  Apparently they took your advice and moved over to the airport a while back.

The Infamous Meerkat

Negative Sir, the best pizza on the island is now Hawai'i's Boston Style Pizza... It has owned that title every year since I first arrived there in 2009 (and probably longer).  8) 
I only bring it up so that if you make it there again, you might try it.  :angel:
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Panache

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on February 20, 2014, 05:45:33 AM
I only bring it up so that if you make it there again, you might try it.  :angel:

Challenge accepted!

a2capt

I thought it was an odd name for a pizza place on Oahu.. and off the beaten path, but worth the detour. Fairly non-descript place.

AlphaSigOU

And besides... Big Kahuna Pizza will tell you that there ain't a thing called 'Hawaiian Pizza' (ham and pineapple) in Hawaii... the locals call it 'haole pizza'! :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

UH60guy

Saw this today- while we're hard at work with pizza, our NATO allies have some other interesting choices: http://imgur.com/a/S3FA4
Vegemite for the Aussies, Duck Confit for the French, Bear Claws (but no maple syrup?) for the Canucks, and alcohol for the Italians.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Panache

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 20, 2014, 08:20:52 PM
And besides... Big Kahuna Pizza will tell you that there ain't a thing called 'Hawaiian Pizza' (ham and pineapple) in Hawaii... the locals call it 'haole pizza'! :D

"Mainland Pizza".  ;)

Nikos

What about people like me who have to eat gluten free??

lordmonar

Quote from: Nikos on April 18, 2014, 10:40:13 PM
What about people like me who have to eat gluten free??
Can you be in the military and have a gluten allergy?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

It's not a blocker to serve.. unlike the cheese on the pizza..

UH60guy

Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 11:00:15 PM
It's not a blocker to serve.. unlike the cheese on the pizza..

Got it backwards there. Should be "serves as a blocker."
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO