Mountain House meals are ROCKET FUEL!

Started by Eclipse, October 29, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

Eclipse

I've eaten my fair share of MREs - between CAP activities, other camping, and I usually keep a couple of
them on the bike for when I teach.

I was teaching this weekend and decided to try out some Mountain House meals for lunch instead, since I
was at REI anyway for a Cub Scout class.  Plus any time I can use my Jet Boil is cool by me.

My favorite MRE is the chili mac, followed by the veggie burger with the flat bread.  I've avoided the Mountain House stuff,
despite my buddy raving about them, mostly because of the cost - their single entrees are as much as a full MRE including heater
(usually $7-10).

So I grabbed a Chili Mac:

And a Teriyaki Chicken with Rice:

Both were excellent - easy to make (once I realized that boiling water in a foil pouch = boiling pouch OUCH!), and really tasty, not to mention
plenty filling.  These meals are normally indicated as "for two", though that's probably two little fellers.  Even the !!RADICAL!! young lady at REI
trying to upsell me into stuff I didn't need helping me said that she'd eat a full meal by herself normally.

So...

That evening, after standing in a parking lot for 10 hours watching people ride in a circle and absorbing 10-20 MPH winds gusting to 35,
I basically came home, ate dinner, and crashed.

I woke up about 11, and that began an on again / off-again series of haz-mat level flatulence, the likes of which I have not experienced in years, if ever.
We're talking about the kind of sustained volleys that bring honest relief, especially since you don't know whether there's an "active warhead" in there or not.

I had a couple of pretty remarkable low-altitude over-water drops as well.

It wasn't until Sunday morning that I realized that it must have been the Chili Mac.

This has never been an issue with me in regards to the same entree in an MRE, if anything they keep things pretty "stable".

I had the chicken on Sunday, again, delicious, with not near the reaction as the chili mac, but clearly more "active" then usual.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Honestly, mid-incident I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Perhaps the craft, due to age, is showing signs of a weak bomb bay door?  >:D :angel: >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 29, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Perhaps the craft, due to age, is showing signs of a weak bomb bay door?  >:D :angel: >:D

I had a recent 100-hour and all seals were ((*cough*)) tight...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2013, 10:04:35 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 29, 2013, 10:02:46 PM

I had a recent 100-hour and all seals were ((*cough*)) tight...

It's a good thing I'm outside and the red bull ended up on my driveway. The *cough* got me.

a2capt

[darnit] !!

I can't quit laughing my bomb bay door off.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
<snip>
I woke up about 11, and that began an on again / off-again series of haz-mat level flatulence, the likes of which I have not experienced in years, if ever.
We're talking about the kind of sustained volleys that bring honest relief, especially since you don't know whether there's an "active warhead" in there or not.

It wasn't until Sunday morning that I realized that it must have been the Chili Mac.

OK, OK, wait one daggone second.

"Stay on the bomb run, boys. Ima get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

I can see this now, the propaganda for the sales pitch.

Who needs the Intergalactic Laxative .. 

Mountain House meals are ROCKET FUEL!

'The Intergalactic Laxative' - DONOVAN - 1973 45rpm

There's a song for everything.

ColonelJack

Thanks a lot, guys.  Now I have to clean Diet Coke off my keyboard, monitor, mouse, and the wall behind them.

;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on October 30, 2013, 05:20:24 AM
There's a song for everything.

I probably have not heard that song since I was 7 or 8 years old. Really.

OMG.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Slim

Quote from: NIN on October 29, 2013, 11:19:57 PM
<snip>

OK, OK, wait one daggone second.

"Stay on the bomb run, boys. Ima get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek!"

Hey Now!!!

As to the topic at hand, just remember.....That's gonna itch when it dries.

Slim

Private Investigator

I did just have a *hydraulic* issue, LOL   ;D

AlphaSigOU

Whatever you do... don't light a match! And make sure you have a direct line to the nearest crapper and that it has plenty of TP!  ;D  (You're not a Kwaj veteran unless you've mapped out the nearest restrooms on your bike ride to the other side of the island... that PDR (Pacific Dining Room) purge after eating a meal at that fine dining establishment... NOT!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

♠SARKID♠

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

If you ever need a good laugh.  Read the reviews for this product, which seem to make the Mountain House experience look like a luxury cruise.
Sugar free gummy bears
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

That fake sugar stuff is awful.  It's like having Mount Vesuvius inside you as a warning sign that Pompeii is about to be buried again.

Mela_007

I haven't tried them myself, but I picked up and packed a couple of those meals in my 24-hr pack...um, re-thinking that idea now after reading this!  Perhaps I should donate them and find an alternative??!!!! :-\
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Eclipse

Quote from: Mela_007 on November 06, 2013, 03:44:16 PM
I haven't tried them myself, but I picked up and packed a couple of those meals in my 24-hr pack...um, re-thinking that idea now after reading this!  Perhaps I should donate them and find an alternative??!!!! :-\

I would suggest at least trying a couple to gauge your reaction.

I did the same when I first started buying MREs - nothing worse then being hungry in the field and realizing what you hate what you brought for lunch.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

Good idea.  Think I'll try them at home where innocent bystanders would not be in any potential "Blast Zone".   ;)
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown