Main Menu

Night Vision.

Started by syotos, October 24, 2013, 04:38:40 AM

cap235629

Quote from: RiverAux on October 24, 2013, 11:40:12 PM
Are any of the high-speed SAR teams that go on-rope to get out of their Hummers using NVGs for ground SAR?

There are useful aerial applications for thermal imaging, but I'm a little skeptical about their use for ground SAR.

In our AO, we have trained with them extensively in heavy brush to look for children or ALZ patients who may have laid down.  A body JUMPS out of the heat signature of hedges, brushpiles and vegetation.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

Quote from: Jaison009 on October 24, 2013, 11:50:02 PM
I was wondering if they were deployed. Bill were your guys over in Leflore Co or did OK Wing handle the search exclusively?

Quote from: cap235629 on October 24, 2013, 11:38:22 PM
Arkansas Wing has 2 handheld Thermal Imaging cameras that we use airborne, mobile and on the ground.  We even developed a scanner training outline for airborne use through the photo window.  This capability was used most recently on Monday the 20th in a night time search for a downed aircraft in Madison County Arkansas......

We were put on standby to augment OK wing as we are only 30 miles from the search area
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Are we discussing NVGs or thermal equipment?

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: cap235629 on October 24, 2013, 11:50:41 PM
Are any of the high-speed SAR teams that go on-rope to get out of their Hummers using NVGs for ground SAR?

There are useful aerial applications for thermal imaging, but I'm a little skeptical about their use for ground SAR.

In our AO, we have trained with them extensively in heavy brush to look for children or ALZ patients who may have laid down.  A body JUMPS out of the heat signature of hedges, brushpiles and vegetation.

Plus our cadets absolutely LOVE watching the A-10's at FSM taking off at night with them.  Who knew an A-10 had afterburners!!!!! LOL
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

A-10s have afterburners?!

:o

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

They might spit a little fire out the back at full mil power, but no ABs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

LaterBlades!  Duh! Wrong airplane!

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: flyer333555 on October 25, 2013, 04:22:09 AM

Flyer

No they don't.  I was alluding to the thermal image of an A-10 taking off.  Through a thermal imager the hot exhaust looks like an afterburner and the cadets think it's cool.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

PHall

Quote from: cap235629 on October 26, 2013, 05:04:35 AM
Quote from: flyer333555 on October 25, 2013, 04:22:09 AM

Flyer

No they don't.  I was alluding to the thermal image of an A-10 taking off.  Through a thermal imager the hot exhaust looks like an afterburner and the cadets think it's cool.....

The TF-34 is a high bypass turbofan engine. As of right now, there are NO high bypass turbofan engines that are equipped with an afterburner.
A afterburner would only work for the core of the engine, which in the TF-34's case only provides 20% of the thrust anyway.

Luis R. Ramos

That is what I knew, an afterburner for an A-10 was a technological impossibility. Thanks for the two answers.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

A Chinook doesn't have afterburners either, and under goggles (even NVGs, not thermals) the hot exhaust looks pretty crazy.

Night Vision CH-47F Chinooks Sling Load: Task Force Corsair

(ffwd to about the 2 minute mark if you're the impatient sort, as the aircraft flies away)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Aren't the engines on an A-10 the same basic design as the ones used on cargo transports? *admitted ignorance*
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 26, 2013, 01:12:43 PM
Aren't the engines on an A-10 the same basic design as the ones used on cargo transports? *admitted ignorance*

Same "basic" design, i.e. High-bypass Turbofan engine, just smaller. The TF-34 used on the A-10 is also used on the S-3 Viking.
It's bigger version, the GE CF-6 Family of engines is used on 747's and DC-10's and many other airliners.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyer333555 on October 26, 2013, 11:11:55 AM
That is what I knew, an afterburner for an A-10 was a technological impossibility. Thanks for the two answers.

Flyer

Not exactly true. Turbofan engines have had afterburners. The F-14 engines (TF-30, and later F110-GE-400) are a prime example. However, they are low-bypass, and benefit much more from the added thrust than would the high-bypass A-10 engine (TF34-GE-100A).

Possible - yes; practical - no.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 27, 2013, 04:41:26 AM
Quote from: flyer333555 on October 26, 2013, 11:11:55 AM

Flyer

Not exactly true. Turbofan engines have had afterburners. The F-14 engines (TF-30, and later F110-GE-400) are a prime example. However, they are low-bypass, and benefit much more from the added thrust than would the high-bypass A-10 engine (TF34-GE-100A).

Possible - yes; practical - no.

Low bypass turbofan engines have had afterburners, high bypass have not because it's just not practical.

There is a BIG difference!!!

Low bypass turbofans: Pratt & Whitney TF-33, F-100, GE F-404, F-118,

High bypass turbofans: GE CFM-56, CF-6, Pratt & Whitney JT-7, TF-39,

Low bypass turbofans get 20% of their thrust from the fan and 80% from the core.
High bypass turbofans get 80% of their thrust from the fan and 20% from the core.

High bypass turbofans usually have much lower noise signatures and much better fuel economy then a low bypass turbofan of the same thrust.
But they're not usually practical for use in fighter type aircraft due to their size.

Spaceman3750

So I did a little bit of digging out of curiosity... The last image in the photo lineup (assuming that the marketing folks didn't screw with it too much) makes a pretty compelling case for FLIR, but not for NVGs.

http://www.basspro.com/FLIR-Scout-PS24-Thermal-Handheld-Camera/product/10230040/#chart-container

cap235629

The red is does not appear in an IR image.  That was added by someone....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: cap235629 on October 24, 2013, 11:50:41 PM

How big an area were you trying to search with these on the ground?