Main Menu

Chest Rig vs. Vest

Started by IC3man, June 21, 2011, 12:56:45 AM

IC3man

I am currently shopping around for a good modular system to replace my old set of LBEs.  I am trying to decide between a plate carrier like this:
http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scripts/z.exe/sbproc?action=sp7404
and a chest rig like this:
http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scripts/z.exe/sbproc?action=sp15517
I am fed up with the hassle involved with my current LBEs (which basically consists of an old pistol belt and the Y harness). I am intending to use this as my 24 hr. gear, and I would like to have all of my critical items within reach.

Eclipse

Having everything in front is as much of a PITA or more than an LBV, and a plate carrier includes the snickers of those
around you.

Just get a SARMed.

"That Others May Zoom"

IC3man

They can snicker all they want. I was considering a plate carrier because of the extra support the foam gives it. One of the many problems that I have seen with other vests is that the moment somebody puts any kind of weight on the back, it droops (the ones that I have seen in use all have built in pockets for hydration bladders). I seriously want to avoid that.

davidsinn

How well does it work with the mandatory safety vest over top? Is the reflectivity of the soon to be mandatory ANSI 2 vest visible?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Abdomina

Your spending too much money,

Here is a good Plate Carrier, My friend on my airsoft team uses it http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_171&products_id=1459]
Here is a good chestrig its very comfortably, i have one you can wear a ALICE pack or a camel back on this with no problem- http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_172&products_id=995

Eclipse

Why on the Lord's Green Earth® would Airsoft players need "plate carriers"?

Do we all need to review why these exist?

Unless you need ballistic protection, wearing a vest you can't unzip for SAR is just...

"That Others May Zoom"

Abdomina

This is a replica that does not have plates(yet). And we use it for realism, as the type of airsoft i play is Milsim. We use the MOLLE to obviously attach pouches to hold magazines.

Eclipse

"I got you..."

"No you didn't..."

"Yes, I did..."

Just like the sandbox...

At least paintballs make a mess.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Looks like we've got a few more wanting the the "tactikewl" look.

Plate carriers are worthless as anything other than a plate carrier. Putting foam in it it for "support" is disengenuous. You still have a few layers of heavy duty nylon over you, and that is gonna get hot. Plus, it doesn't move with you.

Go for a mesh vest. The FLCs the military uses are good for this. Lightweight, it breathes, and it's not rough on the shoulders and back. Color doesn't really matter considering you're wearing an ANSI vest over it. They are loads cheaper, too, if you shop wisely. (Just saw one on eBay for less than 20 bucks)

nesagsar

WIWAC I used an OV-10 Bronco flight survival vest. Plenty of pockets in front, mesh back, and a few good places to attach Alice clips if you are creative enough. I couldn't tell you where to get one though, my squadron had a few lying around in supply because we met on an Army Guard base next door to an ANG base. We had no shortage of old military equipment.

ECHO35

Did I here airsoft hilarious, how much stuff are you carrying? I spent alot of time under a plate carrier with plates and given the choice I would go with a chest rig or something similar.

If you are not planning on getting shot at a plate carrier is just silly not to mention they tend to not fit right without plates in them.

Good luck

isuhawkeye

transformer series by true north.  Modular design with plenty of pockets on the front with hydration system and the opportunity to place an LBE style but-pack on the back. 

Buzz

First off, have you tried LBE with the H harness instead of the Y harness?  They are like night and day for carrying a load.

Second, the chest rig looks like you're trying to hold your waist in.  The plate carrier looks goofy and is HOT HOT HOT.

How much stuff do you actually need attached to you at all times?   Why would you want to carry the rest of it around?

I have two different solutions, depending on if I'm flying or not. 

Flying, I use the SnapTrak vest.

Otherwise, I have a MOLLE I waist belt (the one without the pack base clip in back).  I can carry everything that I carry without even having to mess with straps, and since there is no plastic clunky thing in the back, it's easy to get in and out of vehicles without having to put it on and take it off each time.

Add daypacks with the various specialized loads that I might need (think "Thunderbird 2") and I'm all set.  I grab the pack to fit the mission, grab the belt and I'm on the way, whether it's a CAP mission, going for a hike, working the Air Races, etc.

Abdomina

I just received my Arktis CAP SAR vest and i love it! It is perfect and very comfortable, and it has so many pouches to hold so much. You can easily fit a 24hr in it and an ALICE pack on your back for a 72hr. I definitely recommend this to anybody looking for an SAR chest rig. It doesn't have MOLLE on it but you wouldn't need it.

Sapper168

Quote from: Abdomina on July 17, 2011, 08:06:58 PM
I just received my Arktis CAP SAR vest and i love it! It is perfect and very comfortable, and it has so many pouches to hold so much. You can easily fit a 24hr in it and an ALICE pack on your back for a 72hr. I definitely recommend this to anybody looking for an SAR chest rig. It doesn't have MOLLE on it but you wouldn't need it.

I use this rig with an attached 3 litre hydration bladder, 'Hump hydration system' is sold by arktis and is designed to be used with their products, and its od green so it matches the vest.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

lycan1138

that stuff is over priced if u want plate carriers that arent kevalr go to airsoftgi they are very good and lightweight

SarDragon

Quote from: lycan1138 on July 24, 2011, 06:08:13 AM
that stuff is over priced if u want plate carriers that arent kevalr go to airsoftgi they are very good and lightweight

Care to try that again with some use of the shift and period keys?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NM SAR

Plate carriers are hot and nasty, and hard to get on/off for layering. they also tend to interfere with the shoulder straps of a pack of you decide to wear one in conjuction. chest rigs generally do better.

I got a high-quality orange vest, added elastic so that it would fit snugly instead of billowing in the wind like a bedsheet, and sewed on a small MOLLE platform (used to be a thigh rig before the straps came off) to the chest. it's big enough to hold my GPS, compass, signal mrror, trail tape, leather gloves, and EMS shears, but not so large that I look ridiculous. Problem arises if you don't have the needle-and-thread skill to modify your own gear. YMMV.

NIN

I got an el-cheapo Ranger Rack (since LBE and ACUs just look... weird) and hung my stuff on it. We don't have a real need for ammo pouches, but I have my IFAK, admin pouch, GPS, compass, strobe, flashlight, etc all on there. 

Pretty handy, puts it all within reach. Comes off in a jiffy.  Open in the back so your hydration/ruck fit without issue.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.