Main Menu

A thought for the day

Started by bflynn, April 10, 2014, 02:49:06 PM

ColonelJack

As I heard Garry Moore say on an old episode of "To Tell The Truth".....

"You know what an expert is, don't you?  An expert is a fellow who knows 47 different ways to make love, but he doesn't know any girls."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Private Investigator

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can't Get It Wrong"   8)

lordmonar

"It's not enough to be able to lie with a straight face; anybody with enough gall to raise on a busted flush can do that. The first way to lie artistically is to tell the truth — but not all of it. The second way involves telling the truth, too, but is harder: Tell the exact truth and maybe all of it...but tell it so unconvincingly that your listener is sure you are lying."--Robert Heinlein
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

"Probably the most important thing is that when things get really bad and the world looks its darkest, you just have to throw up your hands and say "Well, alright!" cause it's probably gonna get a whole h*** of a lot worse."

--Alferd Packer, Cannibal! The Musical
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Cool

Quote from: LSThiker on April 14, 2014, 03:22:10 AM
Quote from: C/Cool on April 12, 2014, 10:56:57 PM
For all of you Whovians out there: This is my Timey Wimey Detector. It goes ding when there's stuff.

Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces. Whether you want it to or not, actually. So I've learned to stay away from hens. It's not pretty when they blow.

Haha. And bowties are definitely cool!
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

ol'fido

And fezes. Fezes are definitely cool too.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

LSThiker

Quote from: ol'fido on April 15, 2014, 02:41:12 AM

Someday you could just walk past a fez.

C/Cool

Quote from: LSThiker on April 15, 2014, 03:07:17 AM

NEVER!!! They may be cool but they don't match anything else you wear...

Garibaldi

Quote from: C/Cool on April 15, 2014, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on April 15, 2014, 03:07:17 AM

NEVER!!! They may be cool but they don't match anything else you wear...

Except for the polo combination. Hey...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Cool

Right you are! Now the Stetson... That will go with every outfit. Even the BDU's...

Private Investigator

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Now that is a thought for the day and everyday  :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: C/Cool on April 15, 2014, 05:19:16 PM
Right you are! Now the Stetson... That will go with every outfit. Even the BDU's...

Your right about that. Today I wore my black Stetson for Good Friday.  8)

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 18, 2014, 05:07:04 PM
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America The country they are a citizen of" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Fixed that for you.  There are veterans in every country, not just the USA.

Alaric

Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2014, 05:22:07 PM
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America The country they are a citizen of" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

But here in the US, at least for the last 40 years, its a voluntary choice to write the check.  In a lot of other countries that is not true.

PHall

Quote from: Alaric on April 18, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

But here in the US, at least for the last 40 years, its a voluntary choice to write the check.  In a lot of other countries that is not true.

So you're saying a Draftee is not a veteran?   Yeah, I dare you to say that in any Veterans Organization's meeting. You might live.

Alaric

Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2014, 06:19:09 PM

So you're saying a Draftee is not a veteran?   Yeah, I dare you to say that in any Veterans Organization's meeting. You might live.

No that's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that in the last 40 years those people in American service, chose to be there.  It takes nothing from those who got drafted, or live in countries where service is required.  Try reading what I wrote as opposed to reading in to what I wrote so you can pick a fight.

C/Cool

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 18, 2014, 05:09:06 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on April 15, 2014, 05:19:16 PM

Your right about that. Today I wore my black Stetson for Good Friday.  8)

That's cool! I can't pull off the Stetson but they do look cool when worn right.

PHall

Quote from: Alaric on April 18, 2014, 06:32:35 PM

No that's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that in the last 40 years those people in American service, chose to be there.  It takes nothing from those who got drafted, or live in countries where service is required.  Try reading what I wrote as opposed to reading in to what I wrote so you can pick a fight.

I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference how you got there. But if you're in your country's armed forces and you're getting shot at, I would say you've earned the title of "Veteran".

Alaric

Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2014, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: Alaric on April 18, 2014, 06:32:35 PM

I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference how you got there. But if you're in your country's armed forces and you're getting shot at, I would say you've earned the title of "Veteran".

So you're saying if your in the armed forces and not getting shot at you haven't earned the title Veteran  >:D

Luis R. Ramos

PHall-

Why are you ignoring the words "at least in the last 40 years?" Don't be so picky!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer