Online Cadet Applications

Started by Patterson, March 31, 2014, 03:45:32 PM

Panache

Using the "find a squadron near you!" tool on the public CAP page, it shows you the charter number for every squadron in the search area you designated.

a2capt

The fact that someone would randomly sign up for something that requires paying money .. and is subject to a secondary approval before becoming final ..

Meh. I wouldn't worry about it. The unlisted URL is just fine given the data that needs to be put in, and not presented blatantly.

Sure, just like many airports. "GATE CODE IS ATIS FREQUENCY" and how hard is it to find that information?

NIN

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 01, 2014, 02:51:32 AM
How many people do you think would randomly signup anyway, even if it were an open link?

Precisely. The IT guy in me cringed a little at using "security by obscurity," but in the long run, its really not a big deal and it reduces the complexity of the application for the developers.

I mean, CAPF 15s and 12s are available as fillable PDFs. How many times have people walked into a squadron, having never attended a previous meeting, carrying a fully printed out and completed application?  I'm betting the the number is "non-zero" across the country, but honestly, its probably pretty close to zero.  I've had it happen ONCE in the 15 years I've lived here in New England.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Sergeant#40

I think the idea of online application is great.   It took me a whole month for my paper membership to go through,
and now it'll be a whale-of-a-lot faster.   Just as long as the hackers stay away....
"Do or do not; there is no try."