From NHQ:

CADET MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ONLINE BEGINNING APRIL 14

Beginning 14 April 2014, young people can apply for cadet membership
online. Alternatively, hard copy CAPF 15 applications will continue to
be accepted, too. Online applications improve the membership process
in several ways, including:

1.                   Cadets can join more quickly and attend special
activities as soon as the commander or designee approves the
application - there's no time lost waiting for the US Mail.

2.                   Cadet applications will not need to be returned
due to incomplete information - the online application will
automatically check for errors as applicants enter their data.

3.                   Cadet textbooks and uniforms will ship more quickly.

4.                   CAP ensures all parents / guardians receive a
basic introduction to the Cadet Program by way of the online
application.

5.                   CAP will be more likely to collect parent email
addresses in addition to the applicant's email address, thereby
increasing our ability to partner with parents.

How to Use Online Cadet Member Applications

1.            Prospective cadets will first visit the squadron. The
online system is purposefully designed not to allow random young
people who have never attended a CAP meeting to join. Prospective
cadets will need the unit charter number and web address
www.capnhq.gov/cadetapps to complete the online application, which
they will receive only through an in-person discussion with a senior
member.

2.            Most squadrons have long required prospective cadets to
attend three meetings before the commander approves their membership
application, and further required a parent or guardian to make a
brief, in-person visit to the squadron. Those practices will now be
standard procedure across the nation. (CAPM 39-2 will be updated
accordingly)

3.            Applications can be made from any location that has web
access - home or the squadron. The on-screen instructions tell
prospective cadets that they will need a parent's or guardian's help
in completing it. Membership dues are payable with Visa, Mastercard,
or Discover online. Applicants who prefer to pay via check or money
order can do so via a paper copy CAPF 15 and the US Mail.

4.            When the prospective cadet and parent or guardian
completes the online application, it will appear in the Commander's
Corner in eServices for approval. Deputy commanders, personnel
officers, and administrative officers are automatically authorized to
approve applications on behalf of the unit commander via the
Commander's Corner in eServices. Any number of senior members may be
assigned as assistant personnel or administrative officers, so units
have a lot of flexibility.

5.            Upon the commander or designee approving the
application, eServices will send the prospective cadet an email
announcing the good news and providing helpful advice on how to get
started in CAP. If the unit denies the application, eServices prompts
the commander or designee to provide a short explanation, which
eServices forwards to the family via email. NHQ will refund the credit
card if the unit denies the membership application.

6.            Cadets who are rejoining CAP after a break in service
and applicants who are not US citizens can apply for membership only
via the CAPF 15 paper copy process.

Common Questions
Legal Matters - Are online applications legal? What about parental
signatures and our liability?
Yes, it is legal for parents or guardians to endorse a cadet
application online. One safeguard in the process is the requirement
that the commander or designee meet the parent or guardian in-person
before approving the application.

Key Challenge - Avoiding the eServices Black Hole
Perhaps the key challenge for online applications will be to ensure
the commander or designee approves or denies the application via
eServices within 10 days.

Paper Copy CAPF 15 Revision
A revision is being made to the CAPF 15, also effective 14 April 14,
so that the paper copy matches the new online application as closely
as possible. However, previous editions of the CAPF 15 will be
accepted.

Seniors - Will senior member applications eventually go online?
The senior applications may go online, but the fingerprint card
requirement makes this application more challenging to convert to an
online process.

Suggestions Welcome
Members in the field have tested the online application system, but we
know members will generate more feedback in the coming months. Your
suggestions are welcome. Please send them via email to
CadetApps@capnhq.gov.

Joanna Lee

Cadet Programs Manager

CAPNHQ

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Would be nice if even those applying via CAPF 15 could use this to generate the CAPF 15 to be printed/mailed.

Why?

Most of those "benefits" would be realized as the paper would clear/legible, complete and be absolutely ready to be processed.

PDF engines are available, I've used them often.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on March 31, 2014, 04:00:20 PM
Would be nice if even those applying via CAPF 15 could use this to generate the CAPF 15 to be printed/mailed.

Why?

Most of those "benefits" would be realized as the paper would clear/legible, complete and be absolutely ready to be processed.

PDF engines are available, I've used them often.

My squadron's in-processing system has used something similar since about 2001. We had an Access application that allowed us to do data entry and then overprint an existing CAPF 12/15. Later, the DB printed out a fully "filled" CAPF 12/15. 

In-processing like that, with unit-level data entry and printing, allowed us to send the membership forms to NHQ in a clear, legible fashion that ensured that turn-around at HQ was reduced to nil and that application data was not mis-keyed due to penmanship (necessitating follow ups before the cadet/senior's membership was approved).

After we instituted that process, I think the only reason we ever got an application packet back was that we missed a signature or something.

(the other reason we used the Access DB was that it front-ended CAPWATCH for us and gave us the capability to generate a bunch of great reports like a solid unit contact report, a reservation access roster to supply to the National Guard post 9/11, and an automated Bookstore order form for new cadets/seniors with clear names in the form to reduce the possibility of bad nametags/tapes)

Subsequent to that, we've been using a fillable (and then saved before printing) PDF instead of the db mostly due to the fact that the commander and deputy for seniors are Mac people. :)  It still works good.

The only change we need to really make to our process at the unit is to discern between folks paying with credit cards (and thus eligible for online application) or folks paying with check or money order (and thus needing a paper app like we've always done it).  Either way, we shepherd the new member (and mom & dad) thru the process and collect other data (like measurements for FCU,  etc) while we do it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

I think we just need to accept that "paperless" is finally here and those few hardcopy forms still in use are going to
start dying quickly.

There's no such thing as a prospective cadet who can't get on the web these days, so no need for a paper loophole
"in case".

The majority can do it at the squadron with help from the local staff.  The 4 units left without some kind of internet available
during meetings can advise how to do it at home / school / library, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: NIN on March 31, 2014, 03:58:41 PM
I beta tested that :)

That makes you the SME!

So...

How does it handle the citizenship verification section?

Also, is that form the only chance to capture recruitment info, or can the commander enter that before approving the app?  My experience has been that getting any of this filled out by the applicant is a 50/50 proposition at best.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2014, 04:20:17 PM
The 4 units left without some kind of internet available during meetings can advise how to do it at home / school / library, etc.

its more than 4.  My unit has no internet access at the meetings.

And we've been told that spooling up a MiFi hotspot in the Armory is verboten.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on March 31, 2014, 05:02:50 PM

OK, 5 - there's always one group using stone tablets.

And you have to turn off your cell phones when you're in there, too?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 31, 2014, 04:23:25 PM
That makes you the SME!

So...

How does it handle the citizenship verification section?

Also, is that form the only chance to capture recruitment info, or can the commander enter that before approving the app?  My experience has been that getting any of this filled out by the applicant is a 50/50 proposition at best.

Still a 50/50 propositon, I suppose.

Citizenship verification, much like the paper form, is a "post-application commander's physical verification."

IIRC (its been a little bit since I beta tested, so I'm going off memory), as part of the application/applicant approval process, the commander certifies that he or she has seen the applicant's bonafides in person.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2014, 05:05:56 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 31, 2014, 05:02:50 PM

You and I know that the military is not invested in logic...

I'm telling you what my CO was told by the captain or major from Information Management on the installation when he spotted the hotspot.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Just sent this off to NHQ

QuoteALCON,

An issue was brought up between my commander and I concerning the new online application process. "What prevents random people off the street from accessing the public facing website and signing up without ever coming in to a meeting?" I believe that having an application readily available on an unrestricted, public facing website implies that it is okay for people to fill it out at will.

Obviously the commander would have the ability to deny those applications through eServices. However, to prevent that problem in the first place I am recommending a system where, after the prospect's third meeting, the unit commander generates a random code or password through eServices. That password is then used to gain access to the online application. Viewing of the application page is not an option until that point.

I believe this would be very effective in preventing people from filling out the application prematurely. Also, it creates an avenue for the commander to confirm that the prospect has attended the three required meetings via a prompt when generating the code/password.

Respectfully,
1st Lt Dan Turkal
WI-002

Ed Bos

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 31, 2014, 10:43:35 PM

QuoteALCON,

An issue was brought up between my commander and I concerning the new online application process. "What prevents random people off the street from accessing the public facing website and signing up without ever coming in to a meeting?" I believe that having an application readily available on an unrestricted, public facing website implies that it is okay for people to fill it out at will.

Obviously the commander would have the ability to deny those applications through eServices. However, to prevent that problem in the first place I am recommending a system where, after the prospect's third meeting, the unit commander generates a random code or password through eServices. That password is then used to gain access to the online application. Viewing of the application page is not an option until that point.

I believe this would be very effective in preventing people from filling out the application prematurely. Also, it creates an avenue for the commander to confirm that the prospect has attended the three required meetings via a prompt when generating the code/password.

Respectfully,
1st Lt Dan Turkal
WI-002

My 2 cents, I think just denying the application of cadets that you've never met is probably enough of a control in this situation.

Added complexity is adding things that can go wrong.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2014, 04:20:17 PMhe 4 units left without some kind of internet available during meetings

You've made this assertion before, but my experience is that this number is a lot higher. This would be a great survey for NHQ to conduct, actually.

I don't think "Bob's smartphone" qualifies as internet access, either. Relies too much on Bob being present and willing to let his data plan be used.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: dwb on March 31, 2014, 10:50:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2014, 04:20:17 PMhe 4 units left without some kind of internet available during meetings

You've made this assertion before, but my experience is that this number is a lot higher. This would be a great survey for NHQ to conduct, actually.

I don't think "Bob's smartphone" qualifies as internet access, either. Relies too much on Bob being present and willing to let his data plan be used.

+1

It wasn't that long ago that the national board was talking about the startling number of squadrons being run from the trunk of a car and pushing for permanent meeting locations. Having a reliable internet access point ties right in with that.

Ned

Online applications will certainly be helpful to units that have net access at meetings.

For those that do not, paper applications will continue to be accepted as they are now.

Win-win.

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2014, 05:05:56 PM

Make that 6. The Army doesn't share its wifi with us, either.

a2capt

7... the Army doesn't share any access with us, but they don't have issues with us setting it up while we're there as long as it's not open free for all. That those using it are known to us.

PHall

The Navy dosn't share it's Wifi with us at my squadron, but they have no problem with us having our own, secured Wifi hotspot during our meetings.
Same deal applies to the Sea Cadets on base too.

As long as it doesn't use their network, there is no security problem as far as they are concerned.

NIN

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 31, 2014, 10:43:35 PM

QuoteALCON,

Respectfully,
1st Lt Dan Turkal
WI-002

Next time, Dan, ask the guy who beta tested.

The URL would not be an "open" (ie. published) URL and you have to put in the unit charter number (ie GLR-MI-073), which is intended to prevent "Drive-by applying." (see paragraph 1 in the message: "1. Prospective cadets will first visit the squadron. The online system is purposefully designed not to allow random young people who have never attended a CAP meeting to join. Prospective cadets will need the unit charter number and web address www.capnhq.gov/cadetapps to complete the online application, which they will receive only through an in-person discussion with a senior member." Emphasis mine)

I, too, suggested a tokenized system (*ie. the unit has a URL that looks like 'https://someCAPurl.org/OnLineMemberApp?UID=GLR-MI-073' or something*) or a system by which a "one time password" would be generated.   Both of these suggestions were eschewed in favor of a simple URL and the need to put in the charter number, something Joe Random Dude Off The Street is not likely to figure out unless someone tells him.

A unit could still just publish the link on their website, sure, but I think the Motor City Smackdown would ensue.

After three meetings, the commander can hand the prospective member a sheet of paper that has the URL and the unit's charter # on it.

Or do like my squadron does and pipeline!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

jimmydeanno

How many people do you think would randomly signup anyway, even if it were an open link? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill