Main Menu

Safety Message du Jour

Started by JohnKachenmeister, January 05, 2011, 02:11:48 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Yesterday I got a new message from the Wing Safety Officer.  We now have a NEW SAFETY TEST that everyone MUST take.

I feel SO much safer now.

ORM levels 1 through 27 wasn't enough.  NOW we must take ANOTHER safety test to establish the baseline knowledge the we should not walk into propellers and if we do, we should promptly report that we have done so.  Then yet another safety test can be designed and inflicted upon a membership which is assumed to be clueless enough to do it again unless they have passed an online course telling them not to.

I think I will sleep a little better tonight knowing how safe we all are because of this test.
Another former CAP officer

davidsinn

This is old news. It's been a requirement for a few months with a drop dead date of March.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Seriously, you're just hearing this now?

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

They extended the time period? I thought the drop dead date was Feb 1.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 05, 2011, 03:14:59 PM
They extended the time period? I thought the drop dead date was Feb 1.

It was December 31 originally, it sounds like its marching backward...

brasda91

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 05, 2011, 02:11:48 PM
Yesterday I got a new message from the Wing Safety Officer.  We now have a NEW SAFETY TEST that everyone MUST take.

ORM levels 1 through 27 wasn't enough.  NOW we must take ANOTHER safety test to establish the baseline knowledge the we should not walk into propellers and if we do, we should promptly report that we have done so.  Then yet another safety test can be designed and inflicted upon a membership which is assumed to be clueless enough to do it again unless they have passed an online course telling them not to.

I think I will sleep a little better tonight knowing how safe we all are because of this test.

HaHa!  Sounds like my comments to my Wing CC.  We're evaporating our organization with the abundance of Safety videos and classes that are required.  I've been a vol ff for 13+ years and we don't have anywhere close to the safety requirements as C.A.P. and we run calls all the time.  We seem to be able to function without injuries.  Even if there is an injury, we all realize the environment we work in can be dangerous.  National has gone overboard on the Safety.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Eclipse

^ Your initial certification and qualification requirements are a lot higher than CAP's, and I would be willing to bet that your training tempo
is a lot higher, and much more focused than CAP's as well.

While I don't necessarily agree with the "solution" myself, when I have addressed this up the chain, I was reminded that nationally, and specifically in our region, we had far too many preventable mishaps regarding vehicles (both ground and aircraft) last year, not to mention any number of injuries which were also avoidable with better supervision and mission focus.

The best way to show NHQ we know how to be safe is to get to zero preventable mishaps, until then, especially if the mishaps continue to increase, we don't have much leg to stand on.

"That Others May Zoom"

brasda91

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2011, 04:21:02 PM
While I don't necessarily agree with the "solution" myself, when I have addressed this up the chain, I was reminded that nationally, and specifically in our region, we had far too many preventable mishaps regarding vehicles (both ground and aircraft) last year, not to mention any number of injuries which were also avoidable with better supervision and mission focus.

The best way to show NHQ we know how to be safe is to get to zero preventable mishaps, until then, especially if the mishaps continue to increase, we don't have much leg to stand on.

I hear you, but that's shotguning.  Making everyone pay for someone else's mishap.  Leave me and my unit alone if we are not contributing to the mishap craze.  >:D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JohnKachenmeister

The beatings will continue until your safety record improves.
Another former CAP officer

bosshawk

Kach: I suspect that the beatings will continue until there are no safety incidents to report.  Then, NHQ will redefine incidents so that there will continue to be reports made and new videos will be required.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bosshawk on January 08, 2011, 12:45:32 AM
Kach: I suspect that the beatings will continue until there are no safety incidents to report.  Then, NHQ will redefine incidents so that there will continue to be reports made and new videos will be required.

Yes. Mishaps will be modified to include the beatings and the beatings will continue for the constant mishaps.

bosshawk

Excellent thought: now, we can both look for the infamous black van in our driveways.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARDOC

Quote from: brasda91 on January 06, 2011, 04:06:46 PM
HaHa!  Sounds like my comments to my Wing CC.  We're evaporating our organization with the abundance of Safety videos and classes that are required.  I've been a vol ff for 13+ years and we don't have anywhere close to the safety requirements as C.A.P. and we run calls all the time.  We seem to be able to function without injuries.  Even if there is an injury, we all realize the environment we work in can be dangerous.  National has gone overboard on the Safety.

I've been a Professional Firefighter for over thirteen plus years and we have a Safety Briefing every Shift...If we attend a training exercise safety is a component of the Brief and the Post Training Hot Wash.  Always trying to improve how we do business through best practices and experience.  I'm sorry to hear your volunteer agency doesn't proactively support a safety program...it only takes one catastrophic incident for people to think that maybe you should have one all along.  What National Headquarters asks of us is really very minor and even if it prevents one injury or accident believe me it's worth it.

JayT

Quote from: brasda91 on January 06, 2011, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 05, 2011, 02:11:48 PM

Do you wear your PPE? There are still old timers gripping about that. Do you carry a PASS device? Do you have a RIT on standby at alarms? Do you have EMS on standby? Taken NIMS? Drive around with lights and sirens? Reflective vest at the fire ground?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RADIOMAN015

Here's the safety message that one wing commander sends out and also talks about at just about any seminar, meeting, operational exercise:

".... The bottom line of any stay safe message is that you should answer the question, "Am I doing anything really dumb?" before proceeding....."

Perhaps a simple statement are best in the end as far as getting the safety message out :clap:
RM