Armed Alaskan GTMs?

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

AlaskaRocks

I've heared a lot about Alaskan GTMs over the age of 18 (Cadets and Senior Members) being required to carry sidearms WHILE ON GROUND TEAM MISSIONS.  I understand that Alaskan CAP aircraft carry firearms because it's required by law, but I was wondering if it's true that adult GTMs carry firearms as well.

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

N Harmon

Ground teams do not carry firearms. Not even in Alaska.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

bflynn

CAPR 60-3 states that there will never be firearms used in emergency services operations.  Alaska is not an exception.

CAPR 900-3 permits two exceptions
1) when required by law to do so.  The wing commander must certify the requirement.
2) as emergency survival gear in a CAP aircraft.  They will never be removed from the survival kit except in an actual emergency.

AlaskaRocks

Thank you both for clearing that one up :)

Flying Pig

Take a family member with you who isnt in CAP, but just happens to be "hiking" along the same trail with their 300 Win Mag!

lordmonar

I once knew someone who went to AKWG for encampment......IIRC they had "bear kits" that had weapons in them in case of an emergency.  Never heard of anyone carrying side arms routely.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ed Bos

Quote from: bflynn on July 11, 2012, 04:09:51 PM
CAPR 60-3 states that there will never be firearms used in emergency services operations.  Alaska is not an exception.

CAPR 900-3 permits two exceptions
1) when required by law to do so.  The wing commander must certify the requirement.
2) as emergency survival gear in a CAP aircraft.  They will never be removed from the survival kit except in an actual emergency.

The confusion comes from a few years ago when AKWG members were required to carry firearms in their aircraft survival kits (stowed away, not carried on their person) when flying anywhere in the state. This was where the "required by law" exception applied previously.

There is no such law now.

CAP Ground Teams in the state have never been permitted to carry firearms in accordance with CAP regulation.

Source: I was the previous AKWG/CV and live in Anchorage.

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

♠SARKID♠

I know a few years back they had bear spray (mace) training, but that's the extent of them ever being "armed".

Ed Bos

Oh yeah, I still keep bear spray with my gear.
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ed Bos on July 12, 2012, 07:25:49 AM

Attractant or repellent?

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlaskaRocks on July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

Wait till you experience Hawaii.  8)

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: Ed Bos on July 12, 2012, 07:25:49 AM

Attractant or repellent?

Depends on how exciting I want my day to be.
PCR-OR-001

Major Lord

You don't need a gun, just a box cutter. That way, you can slice the Achilles tendon of the most disposable ground team member and make your get away! I support the right to keep and arm bears!

Major Lord
Currently armed with Glock 23
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Critical AOA

Quote from: Major Lord on July 13, 2012, 03:58:48 PM
You don't need a gun, just a box cutter. That way, you can slice the Achilles tendon of the most disposable ground team member and make your get away! I support the right to keep and arm bears!

Major Lord
Currently armed with Glock 23

Ah... the sacrificial lamb school of thought.  Nice!

Previously, I had always subscribed to the "Don't be the slowest one" school of thought when it comes to being with others in bear country.  But now I have an option as I get older and slower.  Thanks!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ol'fido

Simply have one cadet carry all the food. Preferably, a slow one.

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice'?" >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

billford1

If guns are completely illegal in CAP I can envision GTMs in Alaska finding a concealed solution like a 44 magnum. I suppose there could be an instance when the GTM has an unexpected encounter with a four legged beast that looks like a car with furr.

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice'?" >:D

Just remember...you don't have to be fast, just faster than the guy behind you.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Major Lord

As a practical matter, actually killing a real life, "I am going to eat you" type Griz with a handgun is largely a matter of luck. If you can stalk one and pick your shot, its doable, but taking down a charging bear with a handgun while keeping your bowels under control is likely to be a non-starter. I have heard anecdotes of people firing warning shots at approaching bears being charged ( by the bears, not the police) and in other cases running away like kids lighting poop on fire and ringing your doorbell. In certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears. Although I have not personally tried it, I suspect that firing one of my marine pen flares would scare the bejeepers out of them. Maybe I will try it on a few cadets to gauge the reaction first.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2012, 03:32:40 AMIn certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears.

Actually it is California black bear. In CA the biggest I have seen was comparable to a large German shepherd. Now in the PNW you get some big ones.

lordmonar

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice' Cadet Red Shirt?" >:D
FTFY.....1) Bear's don't like virgins....2) it is a CCP violation to ask a cadet his "virgin status".  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP