Cheapest / Smallest P25 compliant radio?

Started by Eclipse, September 10, 2018, 02:43:13 AM

pejoenc

I may be selling My EF Johnson 5100 VHF P25 soon. It is a walkie talkie and I also have a Tait Orca. Radio prices for compliant radios are crazy for CAP. I am going to get a mobile unit and rarely use this anymore. You of course would need to get Your wing plug and have them program it for You.

peter-bliss@hotmail.com

C1128Chief

One idea is the Vertex Standard/Yaesu compliant HT's (I think its the VX 720?). They are all the way at the bottom of the compliancy list but are good handhelds. Still gonna have to find programing... I love my Yaesu and VX handhelds and mobiles that I use for Ham stuff.
Comms Guru.
CUL
Group 6 Comms Officer (CENCAL)

Eclipse

Since writing that original message I've bought a new battery for the Visar (which also went bad, could be the charger,
could be that the battery was made of Chinesium), been issued two different EFJ Mortgage payments, and still
still haven't seen a mission that used encryption, and rarely is digital used.

20 years, lots of missions and encampments, at least three states and two Regions...

...CC1 Analog.

This weekend it was an AV headset with a POR AV radio on ground on one cable and a COR EFJ on the other.
To my shock, the battery held all day, and it worked fine. Between used HT1000s and used EJs with li-PO and impress
batteries, there seems to be more then enough gear in my wing to go around.

Now CAP is changing radio vendors again, so it'll be a long time if ever that I spend any money on radio gear.

"That Others May Zoom"

C1128Chief

Good to hear. I figured I had come into the conversation a little late but figured i'd make a comment anyways.
Comms Guru.
CUL

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

C1128Chief

I have used digital for an AKWG encampment and one event in CAWG. Seems like its underutilized.
Comms Guru.
CUL

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2019, 09:22:46 PM
We use digital all the time.

I have no doubt of that whatsoever, and that's usually where the Comm guys around here start,
and then we run into RF/EMI hardened walls (literally or figuratively), or a plane without it, or
2/3rds of the force is on analog PORs, etc., etc.

And then it's good ol' CC1. (Or to be fair, the analog repeater equivalent)

There's nothing CAP does on the mean that needs digital or encryption. It reduces range and increase the
complexity of the equipment to zero mission value.

If there's a pretend mission that is "sensitive" then those should be handled as edge cases, and just give the rank and file cheap radios that work.
CAP is never going to get back to be the "emergency backbone" it wants to be with $2500 mobiles and 2-lb $2000 HTs
in a world of $100 Baofeng's that weigh 1/2 that.

The Chinese do not care that Delta flight is moving to chow.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Underutilized and not well understood. We have the usual interoperability issues because people didn't understand the difference between a digital channel and an analog channel.

At a recent mission, we told the pilots that the channel on the FM in the airplane was going to be a different channel than the one they normally use, even though the text might be the same. You had to make sure you were on the digital channel which was a different channel number than the analog channel. Everybody in the front two seats nodded like they understood.

And then we got people on the analog channel and complaining that they couldn't hear anything.

What are you going to do?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2019, 09:38:32 PM
And then we got people on the analog channel and complaining that they couldn't hear anything.

What are you going to do?

Well, they are supposed to do a ground check and confirm they have comms, but how many
Observers do we all know think they are "safety pilots" and are listening to ATC instead of the CAP radio?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

QuoteThe Chinese do not care that Delta flight is moving to chow.

Can confirm.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP