Long hair in the Civil Air Patrol?

Started by Cowanthunder, September 24, 2009, 02:13:54 AM

Major Rob

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 15, 2009, 08:10:03 PM
Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 09:15:40 AMI wear my hair about half-way between my shoulders and my waist. More importantly, I am fastidious about my grooming and uniforms. ....{Redacted for length}...My shoes/boots are always shined to within an inch of their lives. In short, I make it a point to set a positive example regading uniform wear to all of the cadets in my squadron.

Even though you may have longer hair, this kind of attitude still presents a true military professionalism to me, and probably to a few others here. Don't know if you've been military or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you had.

I've never been in the military, but my father is retired full-time Army and my older brother is currently a full-bird colonel in the AF, working at the Pentagon. I was raised with a healthy respect for the military, its traiditions, and those who serve. Also, I was a cadet and I learned a lot about what it means to be proud of one's uniform from the excellent leaders in my cadet squadron way back in the early '80s.

Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 09:15:40 AMEven in my own squadron, though, there is at least one member who believes that there is some sort of heirarchy of CAP uniforms. He actually believes (and refuses *not* to believe) that the AF uniform is superior to the CAP distinctives. He has told me directly that he would not salute a superior officer with long hair in CAP distinctives. He also thinks that members in distinctives should stand at the back during flight formations. Basically, he's a bigot who thinks that people who don't meet *his* standard should be looked down upon and treated as second-class members of CAP.

Let me guess: current or former military? Not all have the same mindset, but there are the foolishly stubborn ones. They're the types where you think that maybe, just maybe, a wall to wall counseling would actually be appropriate.

Believe it or not, this guy has been in CAP since he was 14 years old (I guess he's about 50 now). He has never served in the actual military, which makes his attitude even more confusing to me now.

Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 09:15:40 AMCadets aren't idiots -- They know that there are rules and that the rules aren't necessarily the same for everybody. And, if they don't know this, then it's up to us to teach them, as this is one of the most important lessons they will ever learn in their lives.

I'll add that don't teach only one set of rules when there are more than one set. It's the same thing as putting forth only half the truth. And only half the truth is still a lie when there is more more to be told and you know it.

Bingo!

Fubar

Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 05:30:47 PM
I assume this is the relevent paragraph in CAP 151:

QuoteSenior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer).

I was under the impression that the white aviator shirt was a "civilian" combo, meaning a hand over the heart instead of saluting while in formation outside. I don't wear that uniform, but a few guys do and they follow along with the guys in blue polos. They are rule followers, so this isn't a case of them doing whatever they want, perhaps a rule interpretation went astray and precedence was set.

Nick

Quote from: Fubar on November 15, 2009, 10:52:49 PM
I was under the impression that the white aviator shirt was a "civilian" combo [snip]

Me too.  I thought if it was in Chapter 2 of 39-1, it was an USAF-style uniform (hence the title) and Chapter 4 is CAP distinctive (read: corporate, aka non-military-style) uniforms.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Hawk200

Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 09:19:46 PMI've never been in the military, but my father is retired full-time Army and my older brother is currently a full-bird colonel in the AF, working at the Pentagon. I was raised with a healthy respect for the military, its traiditions, and those who serve. Also, I was a cadet and I learned a lot about what it means to be proud of one's uniform from the excellent leaders in my cadet squadron way back in the early '80s.

Seems like you took the lessons to heart.

Quote from: Captain Rob on November 15, 2009, 09:15:40 AMBelieve it or not, this guy has been in CAP since he was 14 years old (I guess he's about 50 now). He has never served in the actual military, which makes his attitude even more confusing to me now.

Very confusing. But it strikes me as someone that desperately wants to be better than everyone else so he manufactures a reason, even if it's blatantly discriminating and has no basis in fact.

Simerpreet

Quote from: Cowanthunder on September 25, 2009, 04:25:39 AM
Thanks for all the great responses!  I feel much better now.  I have been in love with flying since I was old enough to breathe!  ;)  Growing up I wanted to be an astronaut or fighter pilot.  I am very professional and I am a computer technician.  My employer sets a very high professional standard.  I am in the Dayton, OH area and thought Wright Patterson might have a squadron.

Once again I thank you all for the replies.  I have a few other questions but will save those for the appropriate forum topics.  ;D

OMG you live near my brother in dayton my brother in air force in wright patterson! ha