Military Service Dress Uniform

Started by roxysox, December 17, 2008, 10:16:05 PM

roxysox

I tried search for this topic already in the forum and couldn't find anything. My question is, for nights that my squadron does "awards and promotions" is there any CAP regulation that prohibits me from wearing my USMC Dress Blues? Under DOD regs being I am a military member that served during a time of war I am allowed to continue to wear my blues in appropriate functions. I would wear my class "B"s being the class "A"s are not a liberty or leave uniform. I don't have the coin yet to pick up the USAF class "B"s yet

notaNCO forever

I've seen CAP/real military members wear military uniforms at CAP functions, so I would assume it's okay.

MIKE

CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.  Note that it states CAP uniform.
Mike Johnston

roxysox

Mike - Thank you, but I did not see in there where it said that military service dress uniform was prohibited was prohibited. All I saw that Table 1-1 offered was when CAP uniforms where perscribed. If it truly becomes and issue I will wear appropriate civilian attire.

RiverAux

Why not wear the appropriate CAP uniform? 

MIKE

Quote from: roxysox on December 17, 2008, 10:53:21 PM
Mike - Thank you, but I did not see in there where it said that military service dress uniform was prohibited was prohibited. All I saw that Table 1-1 offered was when CAP uniforms where perscribed. If it truly becomes and issue I will wear appropriate civilian attire.

That's just it, if it isn't in there it's not permitted.
Mike Johnston

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on December 17, 2008, 11:26:52 PM
Why not wear the appropriate CAP uniform? 

See here:
Quote from: roxysox on December 17, 2008, 10:16:05 PM
snip..
I don't have the coin yet to pick up the USAF class "B"s yet

lordmonar

Okay......

On the one hand.....as a former Marine, you can wear the uniform as the law allows.

On the other hand...you are a member of CAP and should wear a CAP uniform appropriate for the occasion.  I understand that it can be a large expense...but from an organisational stand point you should wear the most appropriate CAP uniform you have or appropriate civilian wear before going to other military uniforms.

This is not stated in the regulations but it is implied in just about every program we run.  Uniforms are supposed to show unity of group.  We already have too many optional unifroms, adding "other" military uniforms just makes that situation worse.

YMMV
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

And as they say, opinions are like...  well you know how it goes.

CAP does not prohibit you from wearing a U.S. military uniform.  The cadet program has a couple of stipulations, but not when it comes to the type of ceremony that you're talking about.

There's nothing improper about wearing your military uniform no matter how many people in different uniforms show up.

Flying Pig

A Veteran wearing a their Marine Corps uniform is 100% acceptable.  It IS NOT prohibited.  The reason CAP regs dont cover it, is because CAP has no authority over it.

A member who chooses to wear the uniform of any branch of the military to a CAP function is 100% acceptable.  I would love for a CAP member to turn away a military/CAP member in uniform showing up to a CAP function.  I have been to many CAP functions, Sq., Group, Wing and National level where CAP members in the military have chosen to wear their military uniform over their CAP uniform.

Adding "other" uniforms just makes the situation worse????  You gott be kidding me.  She isnt talking about adding "other" uniforms, she is talking about wearing her Marine Corps uniform.  It isnt the militarys fault we had a National Commander with a uniform fetish.

Robert Steht
Sgt./USMC 0331, 8152, 8154 (former)
USAR 11B30 (former)

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: MIKE on December 17, 2008, 11:29:28 PM

That's the European way of looking at things.  I was trained the other way - if it is not specifically prohibited, it must be legal.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 18, 2008, 12:15:54 AM
A Veteran wearing a their Marine Corps uniform is 100% acceptable.  It IS NOT prohibited.  The reason CAP regs dont cover it, is because CAP has no authority over it.

A member who chooses to wear the uniform of any branch of the military to a CAP function is 100% acceptable.  I would love for a CAP member to turn away a military/CAP member in uniform showing up to a CAP function.  I have been to many CAP functions, Sq., Group, Wing and National level where CAP members in the military have chosen to wear their military uniform over their CAP uniform.

Adding "other" uniforms just makes the situation worse????  You gott be kidding me.  She isnt talking about adding "other" uniforms, she is talking about wearing her Marine Corps uniform.  It isnt the militarys fault we had a National Commander with a uniform fetish.

Robert Steht
USAR 11B30 (former)

And if she were in my squadron (and I was still commander  ;D) I would tell her to wear civilian dress.

Nothing against the USMC....just a basic expectation....if you are a member of CAP you are expected to own and maintain a basic set of unifroms.  And this IS stated in 39-1.

If we let SM Roxysox wear her USMC uniform...what do we do when SM Bagofdonuts decides not to wear any uniform or Cadet Highspeed decides he likes his JROTC uniform?

Granted I would not turn her away...but I would have words with her about the image I am trying to set.

CAP most certainly has authority over what uniforms its members wear......and National has delt with this problem before.  I was talking to one of the CAPRAPS about an AD military member who insited on wearing is AD USAF BDUs while working as a CAP member at a NSCA.   Guess what....he wore his CAP uniform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 18, 2008, 12:22:48 AM
Quote from: MIKE on December 17, 2008, 11:29:28 PM

That's the European way of looking at things.  I was trained the other way - if it is not specifically prohibited, it must be legal.

Not how CAPM 39-1 works.
Mike Johnston

PaulR

Agreed Devil Dog!  Wear your dress blues.  You earned it!

It is not like she is wanting to wear her Marine Corps uniform INSTEAD of the CAP uniform.  By noting her signature, she is retired with between 4-8 years of service.  That means a medical retirement from my experience.  That further means that she MAY not be in the best place to pick up all of her uniform items in an expedient manner, as I am sure that her earning potential is not what it used to be.  It is not like the CAP is going to issue her one! 

Unless someone is willing to get her a CAP uniform to wear, she should not get grief for using the uniform she earned the right to don, until she can get the required items. 

Paul
USMC 0331  1990-2

Timbo

I understand the law pertaining to wearing Dress Uniforms after discharge by former members to mean only on certain occasions.  Such as certain Federal Holidays, at funerals and weddings, and military gatherings.  Also, you must be "Honorably Discharged", not "General" etc.  Plus I was told that you needed to serve in the Uniformed Services during a declared or undeclared war for anything but JUST training.  If you were booted from Basic or AIT or discharged while in initial training, it is not considered "actively served"

Then there is the issue of ROTC Cadets.  Even if you signed a contract with ROTC but never got Commissioned or went enlisted after ROTC, you can no longer wear the Service Dress.

Also, it is only SERVICE DRESS Uniforms, no PT uniforms, Fatigues, BDU's etc.  

Each Service spells out their version of the federal law in all of their uniform manuals.  

Retirees......that is a totally different and longer post.

Oh and the most recent undeclared war is September 11, 2001 UNTIL ??  The previous undeclared war was 2 decades before that.  (You can find all this info at the VA web page)   

Flying Pig

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2008, 12:40:01 AM

Robert Steht
USAR 11B30 (former)

And if she were in my squadron (and I was still commander  ;D) I would tell her to wear civilian dress.

Nothing against the USMC....just a basic expectation....if you are a member of CAP you are expected to own and maintain a basic set of unifroms.  And this IS stated in 39-1.

If we let SM Roxysox wear her USMC uniform...what do we do when SM Bagofdonuts decides not to wear any uniform or Cadet Highspeed decides he likes his JROTC uniform?

Granted I would not turn her away...but I would have words with her about the image I am trying to set.

CAP most certainly has authority over what uniforms its members wear......and National has delt with this problem before.  I was talking to one of the CAPRAPS about an AD military member who insited on wearing is AD USAF BDUs while working as a CAP member at a NSCA.   Guess what....he wore his CAP uniform.

I would hardly compare a Marine wearing their blues to a JROTC cadet or SM Bagofdonuts.
I love it.   A CAP squadron Commander telling a veteran they werent allowed to wear their military uniform to a CAP function.    :clap:

CAP has authority over CAP uniforms.  Can someone please tell me where CAP has authority over a military veteran appropriately and legally wearing the uniform they are entitled to wear?  We arent talking about a vet wearing the uniform on a daily basis, but one wearing their uniform on special occasions. 

Additionally, A CAPRAP military officer has authority over an active member.....a CAPRAP/military officer has no command authority over a discharged veteran, uniform or not.  Nowhere in CAP does the CAPRAP fall into any chain of command for civilian volunteers.

PHall

One small question, what does the Marine Corps Uniform reg say about this?

Timbo

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 18, 2008, 01:55:25 AM
Additionally, A CAPRAP military officer has authority over an active member.....a CAPRAP/military officer has no command authority over a discharged veteran, uniform or not.  Nowhere in CAP does the CAPRAP fall into any chain of command for civilian volunteers.

Wait the CAPRAP Officer has authority over Active Duty personell??  So what happens when the CAPRAP is a Captain the CAP member is an AF Major?  Also, the whole oversight by the AF toward the CAP was changed when the laws were changed, making us the sometimes Auxiliary.  They have very limited Scope. 

I think the CAPRAP Officer has authority over the Reserve enlisted CAPRAP's.  Not Anyone and everyone. 

roxysox

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2008, 02:04:22 AM

Directly from MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS
1003. RESTRICTIONS ON WEARING UNIFORMS
1. Members of the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve, including retired
Marines, are prohibited from wearing the Marine Corps uniform while engaged
in any of the following activities, functions or circumstances unless
specifically authorized by the CMC (PA):
a. Soliciting funds for any purpose from the public outside of a
military base or establishment.
b. Participating in any type of show or event which is commercially
sponsored for advertising purposes, where it could be implied or construed
that the Marine Corps "endorses" the product advertised.
c. "Endorsing" commercial products in such ways as to involve the
uniform, title, grade or rate, or in any way establish or imply their
military affiliation with such products.
d. Appearing or participating in any event in public that would
compromise the dignity of the uniform.

Timbo

Quote from: roxysox on December 18, 2008, 02:19:11 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2008, 02:04:22 AM

Directly from MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS
1003. RESTRICTIONS ON WEARING UNIFORMS
1. Members of the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve, including retired
Marines, are prohibited from wearing the Marine Corps uniform while engaged
in any of the following activities, functions or circumstances unless
specifically authorized by the CMC (PA):
a. Soliciting funds for any purpose from the public outside of a
military base or establishment.
b. Participating in any type of show or event which is commercially
sponsored for advertising purposes, where it could be implied or construed
that the Marine Corps "endorses" the product advertised.
c. "Endorsing" commercial products in such ways as to involve the
uniform, title, grade or rate, or in any way establish or imply their
military affiliation with such products.
d. Appearing or participating in any event in public that would
compromise the dignity of the uniform.

Now what does it say in the other chapter about former and retired members.....thanks!  That is what we are discussing I thought.