Shoulder Cords on BDU

Started by JesusFreak, April 10, 2008, 11:11:24 PM

RickFranz

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 16, 2008, 02:45:34 PM
For whatever it may be worth ...

Back when I was active duty AF (1975), I was being processed for a medical discharge (long story there) and, during my two-week stay in casual flight, I encountered three or four people wearing shoulder cords with the old pickle suits.  They were flight leaders and assistant flight leaders, and since we wore the pickle suits daily they had to be indicated by the cords.

They sewed a fatigue button on their shoulder to attach the cord, and when their tour as FL or AFL was over, the button was removed.

There's precedent for cords on field uniforms.

Jack

Come to think about it, I wore a green "rope" (cord) in AF Tech School in 1974.  Green for Flight, Red for Squadron and Gold for Group, I think.
That being said, I have never seen a cord worn on any thing other than blues (shirt/coat) in the Civil Air Patrol.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mikeylikey

I have never seen cords or accouterments worn on BDU's.  Everyone's reference are to the fatigues in the 70's and early 80's.  Not really relevant!

Lets just pretend it looks ridiculous and not do it?? 
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 17, 2008, 02:58:31 PM
I have never seen cords or accouterments worn on BDU's.  Everyone's reference are to the fatigues in the 70's and early 80's.  Not really relevant!

I do think that it looks ridiculous and would never do it or have anyone else do it.  However, to this day the AF still uses them during tech school to denote who is in charge.

The most recent, first hand, experience I can give is from 2004 though.  Keesler AFB, MS - green, red and gold "ropes" depending on the level.  Worn in BDUs and Blues, so it isn't just from the old fatigues.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RickFranz

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 17, 2008, 02:58:31 PM

I am old, I am a "fattie", I am not relevant, but I don't remember saying that wearing a cord or a rope on BDU's was allowed!  I did not even say it was a good idea.  Just a statement of fact, how be it an OLD Fact!
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mikeylikey

^ Didn't say that you said that either.   :)
What's up monkeys?