Seniors and military badges

Started by Cadet Snuffy, October 16, 2015, 04:58:34 AM

raivo

Quote from: winterg on January 06, 2016, 11:20:13 AM
Well, I stand corrected.  AFI 36-2903 was changed last year to read to allow the wear of Weapon's Instructor Course Badge on the ABU uniform.  10.5 & Attachment 5.  I'll admit that the AF made the issue as clear as mud by classifying these patches as "badges" but at least there is an actual reg citation and not that I think it is a cool patch. lol

Huh? I'm looking at the most recent 36-2903 straight off ePubs right now and it consistently refers to it as the "Weapons Instructor Course Graduate Patch."

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

winterg

Attachment 5 lists the WIC Grad badge.  Is this the patch or a pin style?

Storm Chaser

That's most liked a typo, as that is patch not a badge.

winterg

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 07, 2016, 10:28:51 PM

Right next to it is the Test Pilot School patch listed as a badge as well.  I don't like patches listed as badges either, but it looks like they are? Maybe?  I don't know anymore. lol

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 07, 2016, 04:09:48 AM
Quote from: Nuke52 on January 07, 2016, 12:35:21 AM
The gentleman in that picture just happens to be CAP Lt Col/AF Maj (Ret) Rich Augur, yes, that Rich Augur of the RF-4, T-37, and Delta B-767 Augurs

Not familiar with "that" Rich Augur...is there a famous story or something that Im missing?

No, nothing famous beyond the SUPT-FC MS community.  It was just an attempt at a pop culture reference that may have been before your time (e.g., "you mean Charles Heatherly--of the Covington-on-Thames Heatherlys?").  A swing and a miss, I guess.

Ironically, I did some snooping on that site you linked and theres a series of pictures from my UPT class/flight room when we hosted SUPT-FC in 2010.

Oh yeah, which flight?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

goblin

Nuke52

Quote from: winterg on January 07, 2016, 10:26:53 PM
Attachment 5 lists the WIC Grad badge.  Is this the patch or a pin style?

To my (admittedly not-exhaustive) knowledge, there is no metal/enamel/etc. version of the WIC patch that is authorized for wear on an AF uniform.  Yes, the attachment to the AFI certainly says--very clearly, in black and white--WIC Grad "Badge", but I do believe that to be a typo, as the TPS patch right next to it is clearly listed as TPS "Patch".  No matter however, as the heading of the attachment is "QUALIFICATION BADGES" and it seems clear to me, that typo or not, by their inclusion in Attch 5, that the AFI intends the WIC and TPS patches to be treated as badges. 

(As a side note, not only is there the "badge vs. patch" typo, but the picture included is not, repeat not, even a WIC patch...  The dark border around it makes that the WIC Instructor patch (i.e., the guys who teach WIC).  Come on, guys, have some attention to detail.  Seriously...)
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Storm Chaser

Quote from: winterg on January 07, 2016, 10:30:27 PM

Right next to it is the Test Pilot School patch listed as a badge as well.  I don't like patches listed as badges either, but it looks like they are? Maybe?  I don't know anymore. lol

But the Test Pilot School one actually says patch. Both patches are listed under qualification badges, but they're actually patches and the Air Force treats them as such.

winterg

goblin

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 07, 2016, 11:54:54 PM

(As a side note, not only is there the "badge vs. patch" typo, but the picture included is not, repeat not, even a WIC patch...  The dark border around it makes that the WIC Instructor patch (i.e., the guys who teach WIC).  Come on, guys, have some attention to detail.  Seriously...)

I can admit when I'm wrong (Pilot Wings), now its your turn

goblin

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 07, 2016, 11:56:06 PM

Quote from: winterg on January 07, 2016, 10:30:27 PM

But the Test Pilot School one actually says patch. Both patches are listed under qualification badges, but they're actually patches and the Air Force treats them as such.

The reason the TPS one says "patch" is because it is restricted to the FDU only.  With the addition of the WIC patch to the ABUs, it is treated as a badge and will be worn as such.

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 07, 2016, 11:38:27 PM
37FTS, Lightning Flight

Oh, one of those guys...  j/k.  48th or 50th afterward, or Corpus/Rucker?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

goblin

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 08, 2016, 12:00:05 AM

To be honest, I love admitting it when I'm actually wrong because not everyone can, but I'm afraid that what you've presented there is a morale patch and NOT what actual WIC instructors wear.  [Pop culture-reference alert] "I been to one world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and..." I've never seen a patch like that before. [/Pcra]  The site you got that pic from also has these WIC patches for sale, and I think we can agree that they're not official...

,  and

Show me something from an official source, and the previous offer stands:  a frosty adult beverage shipped to your location tout de suite.  On the other hand, well, you know the drill...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 08, 2016, 12:17:33 AM
48th -> KC-135s

Cool.  Hopefully someplace nice--thankfully mercifully, el Forko Grande is off the table for you.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

goblin

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 08, 2016, 01:01:43 AM

To be honest, I love admitting it when I'm actually wrong because not everyone can, but I'm afraid that what you've presented there is a morale patch and NOT what actual WIC instructors wear.  [Pop culture-reference alert] "I been to one world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and..." I've never seen a patch like that before. [/Pcra]  The site you got that pic from also has these WIC patches for sale, and I think we can agree that they're not official...

,  and

Show me something from an official source, and the previous offer stands:  a frosty adult beverage shipped to your location tout de suite.  On the other hand, well, you know the drill...

Here I am TDY to a tropical part of the world and you've got me in the AFI's trying to second guess myself instead of on the beach!

2x frosty cold ones for you. 

ETA:  Never thought I'd have a reason to open the WIC AFI.  That should be the last time that's done...

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 08, 2016, 01:15:17 AM
Quote from: Nuke52 on January 08, 2016, 01:01:43 AM

Here I am TDY to a tropical part of the world and you've got me in the AFI's trying to second guess myself instead of on the beach!

2x frosty cold ones for you. 

ETA:  Never thought I'd have a reason to open the WIC AFI.  That should be the last time that's done...

No need on the frosty ones, your acknowledgement is payment enough.  Now go hit the d--- beach!
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

raivo

Quote from: winterg on January 07, 2016, 10:26:53 PMAttachment 5 lists the WIC Grad badge.  Is this the patch or a pin style?

I think you may be looking at the A5 from an old (or interim, or something) 36-2903. In the most current one on ePubs, the heading of A5 reads "Qualification Badges & Graduate Patches" and the WIC/TP patches are referred to as such, and the other images on the page are all labeled as badges.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

ALH

Pot Stir:

AFI 36-2903 Para 10.5.3 states " 10.5.3. United States Air Force Warfare Center (USAFWS) Patch. For specific wear criteria USAFWS patch (graduate or instructor) , refer to AFI 11-415, para 7.2.".  Patch, right? Well, now you go to AFI 11-415 para 7.2 (which is actually 6.2 after some updates that didn't make it into -2903) and it says " 6.2. USAFWS Graduate Patch/Badge/Insignia. USAFWS Graduate Patch/Badge/Insignia will be worn as follows:", saying it is a combo Patch/Badge/Insignia.

Head hurt yet?

Disclaimer: I don't like military insignia on CAP uniforms. I don't ever plan to wear them on my CAP uniforms, so  don't have a dog in this fight. I just know how much you all love uniform arguments...