Seniors and military badges

Started by Cadet Snuffy, October 16, 2015, 04:58:34 AM

SarDragon

My initial thought is no, since what you posted is a patch, and not a badge (sewing vs pins).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

goblin

No.

"Qualification badges AND graduate patches"

Patch does not equal badge

Are you a patch?

lordmonar

Yes.

The AD military wear the AFWS patch on their BDUs on the left pocket......so we do too.

That's what 10.8.1. says.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

lordmonar

winterg

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2016, 02:19:31 PM
Quote from: winterg on January 05, 2016, 02:15:03 PM
No. Patch is not a badge.
YMMV  8)
Can you cite the regs that says the Fighter Weapon School patch would be authorized?

lordmonar

goblin

10.8.1 does not really clarify.

If you think in terms of badges (Cops, Fire, Missiles, etc.), they all have an equivalent on the blues uniform.

The patch is unique in that it is just that, a patch.  Not a badge.

kwe1009

AFI 36-2903 calls it a "patch" and not a badge.  CAPM 39-1 10.8.1 applies to military badges.  Patches are covered under 10.7 and this patch isn't listed.

Stonewall

The security forces badge (police shield) is only worn while serving in that role, with one exception, recruiter duty (not sure why).  Just like the beret, it would NOT be worn unless performing a job function within the security forces career field.

You WOULDN'T wear the blue security forces beret in a CAP uniform, nor would you wear the police style badge.

It would be like wearing a maroon beret in CAP because you spent time in the 82nd Airborne Division. 
Serving since 1987.

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on October 17, 2015, 09:57:29 PM
Does that program also allow for embroidered name tags?

Yup, looks like it.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 16, 2015, 09:17:48 PM
Is it any different than former C/Officers having their pips/diamonds sewn under their BDU collars/inside a pocket or something?

If I understand the OP's question correctly, it is different.  I think the OP was asking about wearing the insignia overtly as an authorized "U.S. military badge," which in this case would not be allowed. 

What you are talking about is hiding an insignia meaningful/motivational to the wearer somewhere where it cannot be seen--which I think most people wouldn't have a problem with.  Some members here, on the other hand, might chafe at the lack of "that whole integrity thing," right abdsp51?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 17, 2015, 11:49:46 PM
C'mon.... all the 182 drivers are wearin em

Maybe it's my eyes, or maybe it's the angle of the pic, but those don't look like 182 drivers' wings to me...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2016, 02:19:31 PM
Quote from: winterg on January 05, 2016, 02:15:03 PM
No. Patch is not a badge.
YMMV  8)

I'm having a hard time seeing how anyone's mileage could vary in saying that a patch and a badge are the same thing, or even are equivalent.  Please explain.

In an Air Force context, a patch is an insignia that gets sewn (or velcroed) onto a utility uniform.  Although many (but not all) badges also come in a cloth manifestation, they ALL come in a hard, metal/metal-looking plastic form that is pinned to a uniform.  The USAFWS _patch_ does not come in this form, is not worn on any AF uniform other than utilities (i.e., NOT the blue shirt or service/mess dress jackets), and, thus, does not meet the common definition for "badge." 

If anyone has pics of someone properly/"authorized-ly" wearing a metal/enamal WIC patch on their blues, please post, and I will gladly eat my words.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: Stonewall on January 05, 2016, 09:01:36 PM
The security forces badge (police shield) is only worn while serving in that role, with one exception, recruiter duty (not sure why).

Just my opinion, but wearing it during recruiter duty is for "curb appeal" / bling value.  That big ole, bright & shiny, mamma-jammin' SF duty badge?  Come on, it's impressive and looks cool.  Why wouldn't the AF want the recruiters who've earned them wearing that beautiful hunk of attention-grabbing gold (er, silver)?

Just like the beret, it would NOT be worn unless performing a job function within the security forces career field.

You WOULDN'T wear the blue security forces beret in a CAP uniform, nor would you wear the police style badge.

It would be like wearing a maroon beret in CAP because you spent time in the 82nd Airborne Division.

I see where you're going with this, but I don't know that I can agree completely...  The maroon beret isn't analogous:  for one, an army-configured beret is not authorized in a USAF uniform, and b) unless it's changed since the last time I looked for that part, CAPM 39-1 doesn't say you can wear any old thing from some old unit you used to be with:  it authorizes certain devices issued for permanent award and it further authorizes some items that are authorized by AFI 36-2903 for wear on the AF uniform though only while the member is authorized to wear it in the AF. 

For example, not too many years back, if a USAF TACP airman was currently assigned to an Army-aligned TACP squadron and a member of CAP, he could wear his aligned Army unit's division patch and combat patch, if so awarded, on the shoulders of his CAP BDUs. 

Because it was a while ago, I'm not certain in my memory of this next point, but I think I remember... that invoking these same rules, said airman could also blouse his CAP blues trousers over his boots and, by extension of that principle, also wear his TACP beret, although that seems a bit sketchier.  If that were truly the case, I don't see why a current SF airman couldn't wear his beret and duty badge.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

goblin

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 05, 2016, 10:51:54 PM

Maybe it's my eyes, or maybe it's the angle of the pic, but those don't look like 182 drivers' wings to me...

It's your eyes.

Nuke52

Quote from: Goblin on January 05, 2016, 11:55:59 PM

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 05, 2016, 10:51:54 PM

It's your eyes.

I'll take your word for it, but at this angle, the shape of those look more like USAF senior pilot wings than CAP wings to me, and, at least in the past, the guys who'd be handing out the wings at AETCFC/SUPTFC were/had been USAF pilots...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

winterg

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
Already did.  10.8.1

10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations
and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority
are present in the member's CAP personnel record.

A patch is not a badge.

lordmonar

Like I said YMMV.   
In the USAF the weapons school patch is a big deal.   IMHO if a SM wants to wear his/her patch on their BDUs or flight suit....I'm gonna let him/her do so.   I think it is within the spirit of the 39-1 in the language is not 100% correct. 

At the end of the day it is just not worth getting all regs police over this issue.   

winterg

Quote from: lordmonar on January 06, 2016, 01:39:00 AM
Like I said YMMV.   
In the USAF the weapons school patch is a big deal.   IMHO if a SM wants to wear his/her patch on their BDUs or flight suit....I'm gonna let him/her do so.   I think it is within the spirit of the 39-1 in the language is not 100% correct. 
At the end of the day it is just not worth getting all regs police over this issue.

I am sorry, but that would be a violation of 39-1, in spirit and the letter.  We can't just make up the rules because we think a member should be able to wear a cool patch.  I was on the AFFTC Shuttle Recovery Team and worked on several space shuttle landings at Edwards AFB.  The patch we wore was a pretty big deal.  Can I wear that on my CAP uniform?  No.  Because the regulations do not allow it.