New flag patch regulation.

Started by C/ Bethea, October 15, 2015, 11:59:54 PM

kwe1009

Wing/Group/Squadron commanders can make any optional uniform item mandatory within their area of responsibility.  As a squadron commander I require all of my cadets to wear all earned ribbons on their blues at meetings.  One of my cadets questioned my authority to do this and my reply was, "since I am providing them to you I can make you wear them.  I can't make you go out and purchase an optional item, but I can make you wear it if I issue it to you." 

Concerning the American flag, I don't see the purpose of making everyone wear it or if it matters for uniformity's sake unless you are performing at a competition or something similar.  You are going to have cadets with NCSA or ES patches that not everyone else has so the uniforms will never be entirely "uniform." 

goblin

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 10, 2016, 07:12:26 PM
As a squadron commander I require all of my cadets to wear all earned ribbons on their blues at meetings.

Why?

Nuke52

Wing/Group/Squadron commanders can make any optional uniform item mandatory within their area of responsibility.  As a squadron commander I require all of my cadets to wear all earned ribbons on their blues at meetings.  One of my cadets questioned my authority to do this and my reply was, "since I am providing them to you I can make you wear them.  I can't make you go out and purchase an optional item, but I can make you wear it if I issue it to you." 

And you provide them with ALL of their ribbons and the corresponding ribbon holder?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

rmutchler

Do you make your seniors wear all ribbons as well?  If not, you are setting a double standard and almost a "Do as I say, not as I do" culture.  You should be spending more time ensuring compliance with regs rather than exercising your authority.  You also might have trouble enforcing that from a regulation standpoint, since even a short stack is within regulations.
Quote11.1.1.1.2. Cadets. Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other earned CAP ribbons and devices must still be worn.

Being a Squadron/CC is about getting the missions done, safely, and within regulations.  Not exercising authority.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: rmutchler on January 10, 2016, 10:27:52 PM
Being a Squadron/CC is about getting the missions done, safely, and within regulations.  Not exercising authority.

Someone please add this as a slide in the UCC curriculum. :clap:

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Nuke52 on January 10, 2016, 09:23:24 PM

And you provide them with ALL of their ribbons and the corresponding ribbon holder?

Personally, if a cadet in my squadron told me that they weren't wearing earned ribbons due to a lack of money, I'd place the order for their ribbons and racks right then and there. I'm pretty sure I could put together an impromptu bake sale if necessary to cover the cost of ribbons...

SMWOG

Ribbons optional for ss and ls...mandatory for service coat...its that simple!

Stonewall

I think everyone needs to read this very important article about wearing the uniform.  Especially that guy who was in the Army and refuses to take his flag off because he is too patriotic to not wear it.
Serving since 1987.

Luis R. Ramos

Is this serious?  ???

I have handled DD 214 from veterans joining CAP when I was Personnel Officer.

These two articles tell me it is not. The following link to this site was posted by another member yesterday or this morning:

http://auxnewsnow.com/2016/01/disgraced-former-national-commander-stages-coup-declares-self-commandante-for-life/

Then we have this one, which among other things, states the ferry flight was used at the same time to test the airplane for airworthiness...  :o

http://auxnewsnow.com/2016/01/usaf-declines-funding-replacement-airframes-tyndall-display-returned-to-flying-status/
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Chappie

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 25, 2016, 11:43:16 PM
Is this serious?  ???

I have handled DD 214 from veterans joining CAP when I was Personnel Officer.

These two articles tell me it is not. The following link to this site was posted by another member yesterday or this morning:

http://auxnewsnow.com/2016/01/disgraced-former-national-commander-stages-coup-declares-self-commandante-for-life/

Then we have this one, which among other things, states the ferry flight was used at the same time to test the airplane for airworthiness...  :o

http://auxnewsnow.com/2016/01/usaf-declines-funding-replacement-airframes-tyndall-display-returned-to-flying-status/

Hate to be a "Party Pooper"...but :)

From the About section on "Aux News Now":

Disclaimer

We are in no way, shape, or form, a real news outlet.

Everything on this website is satirical and the content of this site is a parody of a news organization. No composition should be regarded as truthful, and no reference of an individual, company, or military unit seeks to inflict malice or emotional harm.

All characters, groups, and military units appearing in these works are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, or actual military units and companies is purely coincidental.  Public figures such as the AF Chief of Staff and elected/appointed officials are represented as such for humor purposes.

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Luis R. Ramos

Thanks, I thought I had seen something like you posted a long time ago, but forgot. However I was teetering toward "not serious" anyway because of the links to the articles I posted. And another on "moving the patch design business out of the US to continue the low quality."

Anyway they got me... temporarily...
Squadron Safety Officer

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah.

LULZ now, tomorrow it will be you! >:(

Said tongue-in-cheek.  :P

;D
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 26, 2016, 12:57:00 AM
Yeah.

LULZ now, tomorrow it will be you! >:(

Said tongue-in-cheek.  :P

;D

Stonewall is smarter then that. >:D      [And so am I.]

kwe1009

Quote from: rmutchler on January 10, 2016, 10:27:52 PM

Do you make your seniors wear all ribbons as well?  If not, you are setting a double standard and almost a "Do as I say, not as I do" culture.  You should be spending more time ensuring compliance with regs rather than exercising your authority.  You also might have trouble enforcing that from a regulation standpoint, since even a short stack is within regulations.
Quote11.1.1.1.2. Cadets. Cadets may choose to reduce the height of their ribbon bar by removing all cadet achievement ribbons but their highest Cadet Program achievement ribbon. All other earned CAP ribbons and devices must still be worn.

Our squadron provides all ribbons and badges.  I require that they be worn with the blue shirt not to exercise any authority but to ensure the members (cadets and Seniors) know how to wear the uniform properly and that they maintain all earned badges and awards properly. 

I see my mission as a commander of a cadet squadron as training cadets to be leaders and good citizens.  Part of both is following directions and adhering to regulations and guidelines.  Wearing ribbons and badges also requires attention to detail and that is another reason why I require them.  I also want all of my squadron members to be proud of their accomplishments and show them off.  It is also a motivational tool for newer members to strive to earn more ribbons and badges.

ALORD

You REQUIRE S/M Officers to wear their ribbons on the Blue shirt? Do you want them to look like enlisted USAF people? I was delighted today to see that the American Colors patch had been de-authorized formally. Since I am becoming active again, my old BDU's won't have to have Army-type patches sewn on them. Here is my question: Was the wearing of the "Flag" patch ever really authorized by USAF on our Uniforms, or was it just some Pineda-style dictum? You won't make me wear my ribbons on my BDU's, like those guys begging for money at Freeway onramps will you? :)

Fubar

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 26, 2016, 03:18:08 AMI also want all of my squadron members to be proud of their accomplishments and show them off.

Not sure dictating extra work makes anybody proud of anything. I'm proud of my accomplishments, and that pride isn't hinged on bling. It is based on results and respect of my peers. Are you suggesting your squadron members wouldn't be proud of their accomplishments if you weren't there to save the day with your decree?

If you want your members to be proud of the accomplishments, there are better ways to encourage that to happen. Forcing them to wear awards in order to "show them off" seems like more of a preference you have on how uniforms should look instead of attending to the needs of your people. If NHQ wanted everyone to wear everything available to them, NHQ would have required it. In fact the last uniform manual update specifically allowed cadets to short-stack, a change in the direction opposite of your requirement to your members.

Where does the money come from that's buying all that bling? Because if it's member dues, you're basically using their money to buy their own stuff, in other words you're forcing people to buy products they aren't required to buy as a condition of membership. If it's through fundraising or your pocket, then it seems within the spirit of nothing can be required if it isn't provided.

All that said, I could see a commander leading by example, proudly wearing every little bling and doohickie, explaining to the membership why you feel it's important to show off as much as you can. Perhaps you'd inspire folks to follow your lead, instead of dragging them along.

A.Member

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 26, 2016, 03:18:08 AM
As a squadron commander I require all of my cadets to wear all earned ribbons on their blues at meetings.  One of my cadets questioned my authority to do this and my reply was, "since I am providing them to you I can make you wear them.  I can't make you go out and purchase an optional item, but I can make you wear it if I issue it to you." 
You sound like a micro-manager.  How are you enforcing this mandate?  Do you do spot checks of their accomplishments in e-Services and verify against what's on their chest?  That would be a bit silly and probably not the most important thing to be concerned with as a squadron commander. 

I've never really experienced an issue where a cadet wasn't excited to add another ribbon to their chest/showcase their accomplishments.   On the contrary, I'd be more concerned with reining them in.  There are probably more cadets wearing ribbons/uniform items they didn't earn/aren't authorized to wear than there are cadets not wearing ribbons/items they earned; and if they aren't wearing a ribbon they've earned, it's likely due to a financial situation or simply a matter of education (they didn't know they earned it/authorized).  In either case the squadron would do good to step in and help.

Point is, it's probably a non-issue and you could avoid the appearance or actuality of being a micro-manager by not stating/mandating something that is likely occuring anyway.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."