New flag patch regulation.

Started by C/ Bethea, October 15, 2015, 11:59:54 PM

C/ Bethea

Hello all,
I looked at CAPM 39-1 under summery of changes, and saw that on Jan 1, 2017 the US flag patch is to be taken off the BDU uniform. I have heard roomers about certain wings being exempt from this upcoming regulation but I'm not sure that's true. so have any of you heard of a state that is exempt? please let me know.
Thanks! 

abdsp51

There is no exemption.  39-1 is the Bible on uniform wear unless there is an authorized supplement.  And there is not upcoming regulation the current manual is dated Jun/Jul of 2014. 

JC004

It's going away.  Wings do not get to authorize shoulder patches.  The sooner you remove it, the better.  Do not have new members attach them. 

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on October 16, 2015, 12:24:00 AM
It's going away.  Wings do not get to authorize shoulder patches.  The sooner you remove it, the better.  Do not have new members attach them.

I think you guys are reading too in between the lines. I think what is happening is a confusion of patches. Most definitely the US Flag is being removed. However, what is optional are the wing patches. Some wings are removing them while others are mandating them. To the OP, check with your SQ HQ to see what your wing is doing.

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on October 16, 2015, 01:20:31 AM
Quote from: JC004 on October 16, 2015, 12:24:00 AM

I think you guys are reading too in between the lines. I think what is happening is a confusion of patches. Most definitely the US Flag is being removed. However, what is optional are the wing patches. Some wings are removing them while others are mandating them. To the OP, check with your SQ HQ to see what your wing is doing.

Wing Patches are a Wing Commander Option. And yes, a new Wing Commander can change the option for their wing.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on October 16, 2015, 01:26:35 AM

Wing Patches are a Wing Commander Option. And yes, a new Wing Commander can change the option for their wing.

True and I implied it when I stated to the OP to check with their SQ HQ to see what their Wing is doing.  Nevertheless, you are correct I should have clarified that more.

MSG Mac

In my wing, they adopted a new Wing Patch two years ago, and still haven't made it mandatory.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

C/ Bethea

Thank you all for your feedback, and clearing that up for me.
I appreciate it very much.

Thanks.
C/CMSgt Bethea

Flying Pig

Great news. The few patches the better.

AlphaSigOU

And the reaction over the removal of the flag patch was downright jingoistic (lookitup in your Funk & Wagnalls!).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 25, 2015, 11:50:54 AM

I concur.  I am pleased that the flag patch is coming off.  People seem to want to say "that's un-American", but CAP has been around for A LONG LONG time without the flag on the uniform, and for some post-9/11 reason, someone decided we need the flag on our uniform.  A costly endeavor for an all-volunteer force.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

I was just thinkin..... I was in the Marines and the Army for 8 years total....... I've been a cop for 18 years.  The only time I've ever worn the American flag was in a CAP flight suit.

LSThiker

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 25, 2015, 11:44:58 PM
I was just thinkin..... I was in the Marines and the Army for 8 years total....... I've been a cop for 18 years.  The only time I've ever worn the American flag was in a CAP flight suit.

That is, unless a person joined the Army after Oct 2005 when it became mandatory to wear the US Flag on BDUs for all personnel. 

Needless to say, the day that the removal of US flags from CAP BDUs became official, I already had a seam ripper to the uniform.

Flying Pig

Ive just never been a fan of patches.  Things like the American flag... .when we are in the US and non-deployable just add one more patch to a uniform already covered with them.  Name tapes, rank, specialty badge.  Wings, CAP badges, or a prior service military badge.    For cadets, Im a little indifferent to it.  I get that patches are a great motivator for cadets.  But for seniors, Ive seen many who are just over the top with patches.   Less is more sorta thing. 

I haven't rejoined yet, but in the next couple of weeks I more than likely will.   Is the flag and wing patch required to be on the BDUs?

LSThiker

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 26, 2015, 01:06:07 PM
I haven't rejoined yet, but in the next couple of weeks I more than likely will.   Is the flag and wing patch required to be on the BDUs?

US Flag is now being removed.  The Wing patch is optional depending on the Wing Commander.  Check with your Wing to see if they require it.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 26, 2015, 01:06:07 PM
Ive just never been a fan of patches.  Things like the American flag... .when we are in the US and non-deployable just add one more patch to a uniform already covered with them.  Name tapes, rank, specialty badge.  Wings, CAP badges, or a prior service military badge.    For cadets, Im a little indifferent to it.  I get that patches are a great motivator for cadets.  But for seniors, Ive seen many who are just over the top with patches.   Less is more sorta thing. 

:clap:

Chappie

Quote from: Stonewall on October 25, 2015, 10:11:40 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 25, 2015, 11:50:54 AM

I concur.  I am pleased that the flag patch is coming off.  People seem to want to say "that's un-American", but CAP has been around for A LONG LONG time without the flag on the uniform, and for some post-9/11 reason, someone decided we need the flag on our uniform.  A costly endeavor for an all-volunteer force.

As soon as it was announced that the flag would be coming off, it came off.   I wore BDUs for 10 years prior to having the flag on...which came about in a time which many of us long to forget and that was a constant reminder of...never mind...I think you get the drift.  :-[    Nothing un-American about not having the flag on the working uniform.   The very fact that we wear a CAP uniform (corporate or USAF-style) speaks of our patriotism and devotion to serve our nation.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Angus

Like a few others the day the regulation went live I had the stitch popper taking the Flag Patch off.  I agree with the statements above that since we are non-deployable there was no need for it on there.  We all know it was there because HWSNBN put it there during the "US Civil Air Patrol" days when he didn't want us confused with other countries having a similar program. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Garibaldi

The day the new 39-1 came out, cadets in my olde unit were ordered to remove them immediately. My current unit, we're taking a more circuitous approach. New cadets are not required to have them, and the old cadets are adhering to the sunset date. Once that date is near, out come the seam poppers and off the flags go.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Damron

Quote from: Member Who on October 26, 2015, 06:13:53 PM
Like a few others the day the regulation went live I had the stitch popper taking the Flag Patch off.  I agree with the statements above that since we are non-deployable there was no need for it on there.  We all know it was there because HWSNBN put it there during the "US Civil Air Patrol" days when he didn't want us confused with other countries having a similar program.

Interesting that a couple folks on this thread removed their flags without consulting their commander.   So much for unit uniformity.  We have advised our cadets that they should remove patches when we reach the deadline. Cadets have been advised not to affix flags to newly acquired BDUs.

I don't like BDUs that look like flower bouquets.  I think the bare minimum of patches looks the best and I frown on wear of any hat other than the BDU patrol cap.  Likewise, I dont like packs decorated with patches.