Wearing USAF Earned Occupational Badges on BDUs (Subdued or Ultramarine Blue)

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, April 03, 2015, 04:42:05 PM

USAFRiggerGuy

Reading through some of the posts in the Uniforms & Awards board I have felt that there is a lot of discussion on whether individuals think USAF earned occupational badges should/shouldn't be worn on the CAP BDU.  This post is not about that, however it is about what style to wear on the CAP BDU.  I know that it states in the regulation that you can wear the subdued or ultramarine blue USAF earned occupational badges on the CAP BDU.  My question is, how many former USAF members wear the subdued occupational badges on there CAP BDU?  I have found a website that will make any USAF occupational badges in Ultramarine blue, but since I have 3 of them it could get a little pricier than going with the subdued badges that are authorized and less expensive.  If wearing the subdued is not the norm then I will spring for the custom made ultramarine blue ones.   Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me on this matter.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

AlphaSigOU

I've seen my share of former AF NCOs and officers wear subdued aeronautical ratings and occupational badges on the CAP BDUs, though it probably looks better if you got them in ultramarine blue and white to match the full color of the BDU tapes.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 03, 2015, 04:47:53 PM
I've seen my share of former AF NCOs and officers wear subdued aeronautical ratings and occupational badges on the CAP BDUs, though it probably looks better if you got them in ultramarine blue and white to match the full color of the BDU tapes.

I have also thought of that and I think the uniformity of it tends to look better.  II just want to get a feel for how common this is to see in the CAP community.  Thanks for the insight!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

THRAWN

Seen them done both ways, and not at all. Cost is usually the deciding factor. Budgeting a few extra bucks for an insignia that you already have available doesn't make sense to some people. Just FYI, the Rigger badge looks pretty cool in the ultramarine/white.

EDIT: Most of the blue/white combos have been on the BBDU and the subdued on the BDU.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: THRAWN on April 03, 2015, 04:51:06 PM
Seen them done both ways, and not at all. Cost is usually the deciding factor. Budgeting a few extra bucks for an insignia that you already have available doesn't make sense to some people. Just FYI, the Rigger badge looks pretty cool in the ultramarine/white.

EDIT: Most of the blue/white combos have been on the BBDU and the subdued on the BDU.

The rigger badge is the one I generally wore on my pocket as well.  I have the money to spring for the blue ones but I am frugal and have the subdued ones already on an old pair of BDUs I got issued a while back.  I think the rigger badge would look pretty sweet blue and white  ;D
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

GroundHawg

I had all of my badges done in the white on ultramarine. It looks much better when everything is the same IMHO. I was in an aerial port and earned my rigger wings as well  ;) I had spur do mine and the only badge that didn't turn out real well was the EIB, and that is only because it bunched around the edging of the badge embroidery.

Storm Chaser

Back when I used to wear my Air Force badges on my CAP uniform, I had the ultramarine ones made. I think it looks better because of uniformity. I wouldn't recommend mixing subdued and ultramarine badges. Whatever you wear, make sure it's not only authorized in CAPM 39-1, but that you follow the correct placement on the CAP uniform. Most of the Air Force badges are going to follow the rules in AFI 36-2903, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

winterg

Former maintainer here as well. I had a bunch made in white on blue. Looks better on the CAP uniform in my opinion than mixing. There are several places you can get them. Some more expensive than others.

lordmonar

I don't currently wear my AF badge on my CAP uniforms...but when I did I got it done in White on blue.

Also...please note....only two badges may be worn at a time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: lordmonar on April 03, 2015, 06:09:54 PM
I don't currently wear my AF badge on my CAP uniforms...but when I did I got it done in White on blue.

Also...please note....only two badges may be worn at a time.

Am i reading this wrong then? 

Military Badges

US military badges authorized by AFI 36-2903 for wear on the USAF style uniform may be worn when earned through qualification, awarded by competent authority for service performed in any branch of the armed forces of the United States or its allies, AND authorized for wear on the USAF uniform by AFI 36-2903. Military badges will be placed in accordance with AFI 36-2903 and count towards the maximum of four badges worn on the uniform.

I read above where it says 2 only but it also says "(Cap Only)" when speaking or aeronautical or occupational badges.  Just trying to clarify...

Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

lordmonar

For BDU...this is the appropriate paragraph. 

Quote5.1.1.3.6. Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space, Cyberspace) and Occupational Badges (CAP and USAF). Two embroidered Aviation or Occupational badges may be worn sewn to the shirt ½ inch above the "Civil Air Patrol" tape over the left breast pocket. The second badge will be centered ½ inch above the first badge. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the highest position. Not more than a combined total of two of these badges will be worn on the wearer's left. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position. If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the highest position. Parachutist wings are optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain, aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All ultramarine blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia. When placing multiple insignia in the same area, measure from the insignia-to-insignia not blue to blue.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

USAFRiggerGuy

Does anyone know where I can find Ultramarine blue Rigger Wings?  I can find the ultramarine blue badges on Battlezone.com but not the rigger wings in blue.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

NIN

I'm a fan of not mixing and matching subdued (OD cloth) and ultramarine on the CAP uniform.

I think its a little jarring looking (speaking as a guy with Army Aircrew wings).

BITD (which was a Wednesday), I had full color wings on OD, because I thought even the subdued thread on OD was out of place. That was back when they were worn on the right side, over the name tag.

I kept the White on OD when we moved military aviation badges to the left

And then I got white on ultramarines:

<jedi mind trick>Ignore the white on navy..</jedi mind trick>
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: NIN on April 03, 2015, 10:14:45 PM
I'm a fan of not mixing and matching subdued (OD cloth) and ultramarine on the CAP uniform.

I think its a little jarring looking (speaking as a guy with Army Aircrew wings).

BITD (which was a Wednesday), I had full color wings on OD, because I thought even the subdued thread on OD was out of place. That was back when they were worn on the right side, over the name tag.

I kept the White on OD when we moved military aviation badges to the left

Awesome,  I will give 1800 a call and see what they can do for me!  Thanks for the advice!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

PHall

The14th

kwe1009

Another vote for 1800nametape.com.  They were very reasonably priced and fast.

Майор Хаткевич

J2H

SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

USAFRiggerGuy

Just called 1800 name tapes and they said they couldn't do them for me... WTH!  >:(
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

kwe1009

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 24, 2015, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on April 24, 2015, 07:57:22 PM
Just called 1800 name tapes and they said they couldn't do them for me... WTH!  >:(

Have you tried https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/ ?

That is actually who I went with.  I have three badges so with shipping it was about $30  :o ... But I only bought one set and will mostly wear the BDUs to meetings.  I wish I could have gone with 1800 nametapes because they were about half the price!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

NorCal21

Well another option for you guys is Uniform Nametape (http://www.uniformnametape.com).

Now I've not used them in a few years but I can tell you they were cheaper than any of the pages listed.

Here's who they are... they are right outside the MacDill AFB main gate. They serve military personnel from all five branches daily (I've seen it personally), and they also work with foreign military personnel. When I used to be the XO for the 7th District Material Center at USCG Air Station Clearwater we used to place bulk orders with them all the time. Never had a problem except once where they sent us Colonel/Captain birds all facing the same way.

They didn't use to charge anything extra for embroidering your military insignia on the ultramarine and white material. They said they already had the pattern and it was simply a matter of running it through the machine with the correct colors. They may charge more now but I saw someone say they were being charged $30 for shipping and three devices. These guys can probably do it all for $10 to $15.

At the very least it's another option.