Wearing of the FDU during non-CAP CFI Flight Training and other flight

Started by srosenberg, December 29, 2014, 04:42:25 AM

srosenberg

I do understand all that Eclipse. I know that I don't have the authority. I do have the courage and ability to do the right thing by finding those who have it, specifically the FRO, followed by the cc. Safety is a team effort. I support my pilots, they know it. They want to fly with me because I do have a background in aviation safety and maintenance and will work with them to carry the load. They all tell me that they would never give me a reason to take such a nuclear option. It is understood.  My previous point was that based on knowing the differences between right and wrong, and how standards of safety can be deviated from through rationalization, justification, and then normalized, I will do all that I can to prevent them from flying under these circumstances.

Keep in mind that I previously stated that I was recommended by one of these same pilots to be an FRO because of my history, experience, and attitude toward safety.

I know the norms of how my pilots fly. If something is off, I am going to bring it up. It is unlikely that it would get this far. However, if there is a pilot showing stress because he just got over the flu, at the same time his wife is leaving him and he fibs to the FRO because he is under the pressure of needing to make some touch and go's to be current... we will have words.
How exactly does a FRO verify that?

I think that I am about done with this thread. It has grown far beyond its original intent.

srosenberg

On the Your pilots comment... I have had one instance where I have flown with someone I didn't know. I gave him all the support that I would give any other PIC. I got to know him and trust him as he did me and now he is one of my pilots. I say my pilot because of that trust, or the attitude I have of supporting my pilot.

Eclipse

Quote from: srosenberg on December 31, 2014, 10:12:15 PMI know the norms of how my pilots fly. If something is off, I am going to bring it up. It is unlikely that it would get this far. However, if there is a pilot showing stress because he just got over the flu, at the same time his wife is leaving him and he fibs to the FRO because he is under the pressure of needing to make some touch and go's to be current... we will have words.
How exactly does a FRO verify that?

In the way that NHQ has indicated he should - by running the lists and judging the responses.  That's the process.
A process that is far more rigorous then the average GA pilot endures to go fly his own plane, or even your
CFI when he is teaching you. 

How you would know that a pilot is recently ill and having emotional stress is beyond me, unless he's so far gone
he can't light his cigarette to look into the fuel filler.

You do realize that a lot of flights in CAP occur with only one person onboard, right?

You can press the extreme and edge cases all you like, it doesn't change the conversation or the process.
That's how these conversations go - everybody is the "savior of the extreme", while completely missing the
point and flow of how things actually work in CAP day-to-day.

Pilots don't eat the bad fish and need the scanner to land the plane, they don't show up drunk and get in fights
with their crews about safety, and they don't take off in crosswinds that require a boat anchor to stay on the runway
at the objections of their uber-qualified crew.

They need a second set of eyes for times when they are in overload, and a crew who are focused on their jobs,
so that they can fly the plane.  As a non-pilot MO I don't think twice about flying the airplane, and I don't expect the
pilot to be worried about the logs, the radio, or the photos.

That's how it's supposed to work.

"That Others May Zoom"

srosenberg

Lots of flights do fly with one person. Not denying that.

I would know if there are issues afoot by knowing the norms of my pilots and by knowing my pilots. Keeping my eyes open for anything unusual. Looking for the source.

Not seeking to change process. Do not agree that it is a pilot only task either and MO's should know their place.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: srosenberg on December 31, 2014, 10:39:45 PM

Not seeking to change process. Do not agree that it is a pilot only task either and MO's should know their place.

That's nice. That attitude will serve you well in CAP.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: srosenberg on December 31, 2014, 10:39:45 PM

Okay.  On your next sortie, YOU call the FRO and get your release.

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

srosenberg

I never said an MO can get a flight release. I said that an MO should do all they can do to ensure that their pilot does not fly if things are not OK or as advertised to the FRO. I would rather do this and suffer a consequence than for my pilot to fly unsafely and potentially suffer harm.

Panzerbjorn

Which is what we've been saying all along except that it's not necessary to get the FRO involved at that point.  Absolutely the MO should be involved in the safety of the crew and has the authority to knock it off, also what we've been saying the entire time. 

No one is arguing your point that you as an MO, as mission commander, have a large role to play and plenty of authority to hit the abort button.  We're arguing simply the need you feel to call the FRO and get them involved with that.

A release is PERMISSION to fly the sortie, not a COMMAND to fly the sortie.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Private Investigator

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 31, 2014, 12:00:15 PM
And you keep your helmet on after you return home because in the morning you will crash...?

>:D

Exactly my friend.  8)