The "Final Word" (?) on ABUs

Started by ColonelJack, March 02, 2014, 07:49:41 PM

ColonelJack

In a Facebook posting, Georgia Wing Commander Col. Rick Greenwood says that Maj. Gen. Carr has let the Command Council know that CAP is not going to be pursuing the Air Force for permission to wear ABUs.

The reason given was the fact that the services are working on a single utility uniform across all branches, and that would make ABUs obsolete.  Rather than burden the membership with uniforms that they'll only be able to use for a short while, Gen. Carr is going to wait and see what comes out of the utility uniform discussions.

According to Col. Greenwood, BDUs (and, of course, BBDUs) will remain the utility uniform of CAP for the foreseeable future.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

Darn good thing I didn't spend much money on the ones I have hanging in my wall locker. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 02, 2014, 07:49:41 PMThe reason given was the fact that the services are working on a single utility uniform across all branches, and that would make ABUs obsolete.  Rather than burden the membership with uniforms that they'll only be able to use for a short while, Gen. Carr is going to wait and see what comes out of the utility uniform discussions.

Wha?  No, way.

Lordmonar - I am actually in Las Vegas right now if you would like to buy me that steak...

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2014, 08:56:23 PM
Lordmonar - I am actually in Las Vegas right now if you would like to buy me that steak...

Serendipity is an interesting animal.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SAREXinNY

Makes sense (for once).  Why don't they start the necessary preliminary paperwork, so that when that single utility uniform is introduced we can immediately jump on board?  Always being 2-5 years behind the curve seems unnecessary.

Walkman

I saw similar info posted on Facebook from CAWG. Honestly, I was kinda' bummed about it. Oh well, the mission still needs to be accomplished.

Luis R. Ramos

But knowing how the system works...

Knowing that "change is the way of life..."

Our boss says "no way."

Yet it may change in the future...

Nin, do not throw that out yet...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

I heard at my squadron that we can wear the new all service utility uniform. Where can I buy these?    >:D

Seriously, though.  It would make good sense.  Whether it actually happens in our lifetimes is another thing entirely.  I see it like the new F-35 JSF.  A single multi-role strike fighter for all the branches with branch specific configurations as necessary.  When it comes down to it, the only reason I believe we have multiple branches of military still is ego.  I wonder what (if any) the cost savings would be with only one US military service instead of separate branches like we have now.  There's still a lot of life left in BDU's.

Luis R. Ramos

One solution for all does not fit every time. I remember the F-111. While I have never been in the service so I all I can say about this is more like what I read, this was supposed to be used by both the Air Force and the Navy. After this airplane was accepted, it was found the modifications needed by the Navy increased the cost beyond initial projections, and eventually it was not deployed in aircraft carriers. For instance, landing gear had to be strengthened for carrier ops, and there were other problems with other structural components as well. I do not recall exactly... Can someone closer to this aircraft remind us what were the problems?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

The only thing that does not "solve" is that BDUs are simply not as plentiful as they once were.

Sure, everyone has to buy their stuff sometime, but it was good while we were using the same thing as the Air Force, so getting them was a lot more flexible. 

As for "waiting to see what they come up with", I see that happening .. two and a half "national commanders from now".

SarDragon

I'm not necessarily closer, but perhaps older and having it more in my current event arena back then.

The major issue, on both sides of the fence, was weight, with the Navy version having more problems. Each service ad specific requirements, which were occasionally at odds with each other. As you stated, the Navy version need stronger parts in many areas, to survive the stresses of cat launches and arrested landings. This ultimately ate into the functionality so much that it was cancelled for naval use. With the additional Navy mission requirements out of the way, the AF ended up with a functional platform.

The Wikipedia article has more detail and references.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Seems to me that the easiest thing to do would just be to request blanket approval for CAP to begin wear of whatever BUD-equivalent approved by the Air Force starting two years after the AF starts wearing it along with a blanket statement saying that the BDU would be phased out 5 years after CAP begins wearing the replacement.   Needs some wordsmithing, but it would solve the situation.  Not a big fan of even waiting 2 years for CAP to begin wearing the new uniform but they always claim supply shortages....

A.Member

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 02, 2014, 07:49:41 PM
In a Facebook posting, Georgia Wing Commander Col. Rick Greenwood says that Maj. Gen. Carr has let the Command Council know that CAP is not going to be pursuing the Air Force for permission to wear ABUs.

The reason given was the fact that the services are working on a single utility uniform across all branches, and that would make ABUs obsolete.  Rather than burden the membership with uniforms that they'll only be able to use for a short while, Gen. Carr is going to wait and see what comes out of the utility uniform discussions.

According to Col. Greenwood, BDUs (and, of course, BBDUs) will remain the utility uniform of CAP for the foreseeable future.

Jack
Doesn't bother me a ton but the reason cited is very weak.  There will always be a new mousetrap right around the corner... 

Also, why the contradiction to the presentation in Denver several months ago?  Was that done without the CC's knowledge/approval?  Was this a legit thread:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=17800.0
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 02, 2014, 07:49:41 PMThe reason given was the fact that the services are working on a single utility uniform across all branches, and that would make ABUs obsolete.  Rather than burden the membership with uniforms that they'll only be able to use for a short while, Gen. Carr is going to wait and see what comes out of the utility uniform discussions.

Wha?  No, way.

Still not convinced that they are going to change.
Hagel just announced force cuts....still can't see them spending money on this while cutting 40K troops.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on March 03, 2014, 01:13:04 AM
Hagel just announced force cuts....still can't see them spending money on this while cutting 40K troops.

I can.  The military has been criticized since day 1 on the development of branch specific uniforms as well as the ineffective camouflage patterns used in the ACUs and ABUs.  In addition, if the military spends $4 million dollars (number was thrown out, not a real figure) on developing a new combat uniform while being able to save $10 million over the next ten years having one specific uniform for all branches, then the upfront cost is worth it. 

Eclipse

Wha?  No, way.

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle - don't care who else is gittin' what, CAP ain't grittin' ABU's.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: LSThiker on March 03, 2014, 01:18:14 AM

I can.  The military has been criticized since day 1 on the development of branch specific uniforms as well as the ineffective camouflage patterns used in the ACUs and ABUs.  In addition, if the military spends $4 million dollars (number was thrown out, not a real figure) on developing a new combat uniform while being able to save $10 million over the next ten years having one specific uniform for all branches, then the upfront cost is worth it.

There is not now, nor will there ever be, a universally effective camouflage pattern. This has been proven over the last 20 years  where our war-fighters have been doing their business. Backgrounds and locations differ. The needs of the services differ. The Navy certainly doesn't need green uniforms of any flavor for most of their operations. (I'll give attention to the NWU naysayers when they can show conclusive evidence that folks in a man overboard situation are in any more danger than folks in the old uniforms.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Quote from: SarDragon on March 03, 2014, 02:02:46 AM
There is not now, nor will there ever be, a universally effective camouflage pattern.

Of course not.  That is why the ACUs were such a stupid decision.

QuoteThis has been proven over the last 20 years  where our war-fighters have been doing their business. Backgrounds and locations differ. The needs of the services differ. The Navy certainly doesn't need green uniforms of any flavor for most of their operations. (I'll give attention to the NWU naysayers when they can show conclusive evidence that folks in a man overboard situation are in any more danger than folks in the old uniforms.)

While the needs of the services may differ, that does not mean the uniforms need to differ.  The Marines and the Army were doing essentially the same mission in Iraq.  Why do you need to have two different uniforms?  Most of the Air Force I saw in Iraq were wearing the ACUs so why did they need a branch specific uniforms?  Even the Navy were wearing ACUs where I worked.  If you never leave the ship or just work on the flight line, does it really matter whether you wear green, tan, blue, or pink?  No.  So why not use the uniform that is being mass produced for the combat missions. 

Branch specific uniforms was a bad idea and a waste of money on ineffective combat patterns.  Going back to a single US uniform, especially for non-combat US taskings, makes more sense.  When the time comes to needing a desert uniform, produce it.  Need a snow uniform?  Produce it then.  Need a jungle uniform? Produce it then.  I would rather spend money on developing a camo pattern for specific for North Korea, another for Iran, another for Russia, another for Vietnam, another for Japan, etc and having those on file ready for mass production when needed.   

Stonewall

Son of a...

I have 12 sets of ABUs and was hoping to sell at least 6 to make some extra cash.  Oh well, they'll continue to go to waste.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Quote from: LSThiker on March 03, 2014, 03:27:09 AMBranch specific uniforms was a bad idea and a waste of money on ineffective combat patterns.  Going back to a single US uniform, especially for non-combat US taskings, makes more sense.  When the time comes to needing a desert uniform, produce it.  Need a snow uniform?  Produce it then.  Need a jungle uniform? Produce it then.  I would rather spend money on developing a camo pattern for specific for North Korea, another for Iran, another for Russia, another for Vietnam, another for Japan, etc and having those on file ready for mass production when needed.

Really?

Now we're talking economy of scale, and storage costs.

You can't magically spit out uniforms on short notice. There's always lead time involved. If you try to produce ahead of time, how many do you make? What size distributions? Producing for the entire service is cheaper than for a smaller segment. Once produced, where do you store them until they are needed? Maybe a basic economics refresher is in order.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret