Main Menu

BDU Cover

Started by Pulsar, November 12, 2013, 07:39:23 PM

Are you happy with your BDU cover or if it was up to you, would you change the standard cover?

I like my BDU cover or baseball cap.
I think we should have orange baseball hats with our unit number on the front. (Like PA wing's standard cover)
I think squadron commanders should be able to choose the color and type hats we wear.
Caps...? We should have berets!
We should have marine covers.
Us sergeants should be able to wear smokey bears'.
Why wear a cover anyway?
Other? (And post why)
I'm in PAWG so I have to wear the godawful orange caps but I really wish I didn't

abdsp51

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 14, 2013, 02:37:55 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 14, 2013, 02:36:14 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 14, 2013, 02:33:58 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 14, 2013, 02:26:47 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:55:30 PM

We think they look cool and like we are an "elite" group of people.

... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct...

No you don't not one bit.

I am not sure what your experience level is with berets, but their care and feeding is both time- and labor-intensive. (And I am not one to gratuitously agree with Mr. Shuman, my fellow Army field grade officer.)

I wore a bere for fours years in JROTC and then for 12 as Security Forces in the AF.  So I have plenty of experience with berets.  They are not that labor intensive and do not require a large load of shaving, wetting, drying etc.

The USAF ones must be of a much different quality than the ones the Army buys then (which really isn't surprising).

Much higher quality, I only replace mine a couple of times and they were not made in China.

SARDOC

I was in the Army during the period they shifted from PC's to Berets.  There was a transition period and I waited as long as I could to switch.  I hated the beret and still do.  The wool would make my head itch and the hat wasn't good for anything practical.

abdsp51

Quote from: SARDOC on November 14, 2013, 02:43:33 AM
I was in the Army during the period they shifted from PC's to Berets.  There was a transition period and I waited as long as I could to switch.  I hated the beret and still do.  The wool would make my head itch and the hat wasn't good for anything practical.

Considering they were implemented Army wide as a morale tool and jacked the color from the Rangers it's no wonder they were not popular.

Peeka

Lad Lassie, as someone who has worn a beret, everyday, for many years, let me tell you they suck.

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, offer no rain or sun protection... and... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct.

Forget them, they're nothing but trouble.

FTFY

Unless you meant...

Lad

/lad/
noun
(Brit.)
  a stable worker (regardless of age or sex).

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Shuman 14

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 14, 2013, 04:47:07 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 02:01:34 AM
Quote from: flyer333555 on November 12, 2013, 08:09:10 PM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

>:D

Flyer

:P

Always two there are. A master and an apprentice.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me. "
- Sorzus Syn

As quoted by Darth Bane.  >:D
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Peeka on November 14, 2013, 03:24:44 AM

Lad Lassie, as someone who has worn a beret, everyday, for many years, let me tell you they suck.

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, offer no rain or sun protection... and... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct.

Forget them, they're nothing but trouble.

FTFY

Unless you meant...

Lad

/lad/
noun
(Brit.)
  a stable worker (regardless of age or sex).

Meant a general neutral term for junior Enlisted Personnel. Normally used when speaking in a condescending tone.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Private Investigator

Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

Sensei and grasshopper.

/s/ watashi   8)

C/Cool

I am what you might call a redneck and am also really attached to my baseball cap.  I wouldn't mind if we could change the BDU caps into woodland camo baseball caps.  Just my opinion though.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

TexasCadet

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 06:01:52 AM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

- Sorzus Syn

Is this the next Star Wars thread? ;D

DennisH

Having worn a few pieces of headgear over the decades I can say the hat does not make the man. Fancy headgear, uniforms and commercials are for recruiting. Berets should be issued in hell, the only place that they may serve a purpose. When I started wearing one you needed a uniform modification card on your person. I had some quality berets that required initial time wasted and follow-on time wasted to meet standards. If anyone has time to complain about headgear, new/old uniforms, current standards or regulations then they have entirely to much free time.
Having worn many different uniforms and accessories I could bore everyone to death with the u inform suggestions submitted by folks with to much time on their hands and a need to feel special.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Assistant Testing Officer
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

DennisH

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 22, 2013, 01:55:34 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 06:01:52 AM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

- Sorzus Syn

Is this the next Star Wars thread? ;D

Only if the Imperial storm troopers start an NCO program  or require all death star pilots to,have a college education :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

jeders

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 01:23:51 AM
I am what you might call a redneck and am also really attached to my baseball cap.  I wouldn't mind if we could change the BDU caps into woodland camo baseball caps.  Just my opinion though.

BDU baseball caps are already allowed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Panache

Quote from: DennisH on November 22, 2013, 01:59:28 AM
Having worn many different uniforms and accessories I could bore everyone to death with the u inform suggestions submitted by folks with to much time on their hands and a need to feel special.

...but...but...but... I thought I was special!

Eclipse

Calling Mr. Durden, Mr. Tyler Durden. 

Please pick up the white phone at Courtesy Desk 4.

"That Others May Zoom"

DennisH

Quote from: Panache on November 22, 2013, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: DennisH on November 22, 2013, 01:59:28 AM

...but...but...but... I thought I was special!

Really special people wear the yellow football helmet with the flashing strobe light to let others know just how special they are and a warning sound is included at no additional cost. :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

C/Cool

Quote from: jeders on November 22, 2013, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 01:23:51 AM

BDU baseball caps are already allowed.
I know you can wear a baseball cap with the BDU's but I have never seen a woodland camo baseball cap to wear with the BDU's. I may be mistaken though.

Eclipse

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 06:47:48 PM
I know you can wear a baseball cap with the BDU's but I have never seen a woodland camo baseball cap to wear with the BDU's. I may be mistaken though.

The bookstore used to sell them, mesh back, very Billy-Bob.

I've had one crushed flat in my gear for about 13 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2013, 06:54:26 PM
Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 06:47:48 PM

The bookstore used to sell them, mesh back, very Billy-Bob.

I've had one crushed flat in my gear for about 13 years.
That's neat. Are those within regs?  That would be what I would want but without the mesh back. I may have to talk to my squadron and see if we could switch to those.

Eclipse

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 07:12:51 PM
That's neat. Are those within regs?

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"