Main Menu

BDU Cover

Started by Pulsar, November 12, 2013, 07:39:23 PM

Are you happy with your BDU cover or if it was up to you, would you change the standard cover?

I like my BDU cover or baseball cap.
I think we should have orange baseball hats with our unit number on the front. (Like PA wing's standard cover)
I think squadron commanders should be able to choose the color and type hats we wear.
Caps...? We should have berets!
We should have marine covers.
Us sergeants should be able to wear smokey bears'.
Why wear a cover anyway?
Other? (And post why)
I'm in PAWG so I have to wear the godawful orange caps but I really wish I didn't

Pulsar

One cadet I know wants to change the orange covers of PAWG to orange or rust colored berets.  ::) I wouldn't like that because first of all they are somewhat uncomfortable from what I hear and can be a hassle. I also get the idea that in the service, berets are worn by the more elite. I don't think we're elite. And I like the orange baseball hats. What are your thoughts?
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

arajca

1st point - the only color of beret authorized is blue. Ref CAPM39-1.

Pulsar

Quote from: arajca on November 12, 2013, 07:42:08 PM
1st point - the only color of beret authorized is blue. Ref CAPM39-1.
pretend there are no regs for covers.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Eclipse

There's no point to this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 07:48:47 PM
I know. Please bear with me. I just curios about peoples' opinions.  :D
C/LtCol Neutron Star

unmlobo

We do not wear covers we wear caps.  No where in 39-1 are hats mentioned as covers.  That being said I think that we should wear the BDU cap and be uniform.  If you go to a NCSA or Encampment then you wear that standardized headgear.  Events such as Blue Beret, HMRS, NESA, etc. are advanced learning courses and as such should be looked in similar fashion to wear of berets in the Air Force or Army (pre-2001); as symbols of advanced knowledge and held to higher standards.  There is no real world need for beret usage in general CAP use.  They are impractical and lack sun coverage, I will never understand cadet fascination with them.   
Major, CAP
HI WG

Pulsar

Quote from: unmlobo on November 12, 2013, 07:53:26 PM
We do not wear covers we wear hats.  No where in 39-1 are hats mentioned as covers.  That being said I think that we should wear the BDU hats and be uniform.  If you go to a NCSA or Encampment then you wear that standardized headgear.  Events such as Blue Beret, HMRS, NESA, etc. are advanced learning courses and as such should be looked in similar fashion to wear of berets in the Air Force or Army (pre-2001); as symbols of advanced knowledge and held to higher standards.  There is no real world need for beret usage in general CAP use.  They are impractical and lack sun coverage, I will never understand cadet fascination with them.
We think they look cool and like we are an "elite" group of people.
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Eclipse

Please tell us someone "hacked" your account.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 07:58:18 PM

Oh, comeon. We're not that lucky
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 07:58:18 PM
Yes, the other side of my almost split personality.
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Luis R. Ramos

Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ColonelJack

Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:55:30 PM

Please, please tell me you are joking.  Please reassure this old man that you aren't serious with that.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pulsar

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 12, 2013, 08:16:30 PM

Please, please tell me you are joking.  Please reassure this old man that you aren't serious with that.

Jack
Oh, don't have a heart attack! I was just saying what some cadets think.  :angel:
C/LtCol Neutron Star

abdsp51

We do not wear covers we wear caps.  No where in 39-1 are hats mentioned as covers.  That being said I think that we should wear the BDU cap and be uniform.  If you go to a NCSA or Encampment then you wear that standardized headgear.  Events such as Blue Beret, HMRS, NESA, etc. are advanced learning courses and as such should be looked in similar fashion to wear of berets in the Air Force or Army (pre-2001); as symbols of advanced knowledge and held to higher standards.  There is no real world need for beret usage in general CAP use.  They are impractical and lack sun coverage, I will never understand cadet fascination with them.

Have you ever worn one? The same can be said of you ironing your ABUs.

a2capt

Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 08:18:32 PMOh, don't have a heart attack! I was just saying what some cadets think.  :angel:
You said
Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:55:30 PMWe think they look cool and like we are an "elite" group of people.
.. the use of "we" encompasses yourself by that statement.

Pulsar

Quote from: a2capt on November 12, 2013, 09:07:40 PM
Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 08:18:32 PMOh, don't have a heart attack! I was just saying what some cadets think.  :angel:
You said
Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:55:30 PMWe think they look cool and like we are an "elite" group of people.
.. the use of "we" encompasses yourself by that statement.
good point.  :-[
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Panache

I'm looking for the "I'm in PAWG so I have to wear the godawful orange caps but I really wish I didn't" button.

Pulsar

Quote from: Panache on November 12, 2013, 10:54:20 PM
I'm looking for the "I'm in PAWG so I have to wear the godawful orange caps but I really wish I didn't" button.
You're right! I'll try to edit!
C/LtCol Neutron Star

FlyTiger77

We do not wear covers we wear caps. 

Thank you!

They are impractical and lack sun coverage,   

Exactly. And, they require both hands to be free to put them on.

I think the colored ball caps are a much better (and already approved) solution.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ol'fido

Another reason I like the BBDUs. I bought a navy blue ball cap at Walmart for 3.99. Adjust for head size and go. No insignia=no worries.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Jaison009

When you say "rust colored" are you talking about the color used for the Multinational Forces and Observers Sinai Orange berets? I believe those who earned it (like my dad) during their assignment in Egypt might have issues with that.

Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:39:23 PM
One cadet I know wants to change the orange covers of PAWG to orange or rust colored berets.  ::) I wouldn't like that because first of all they are somewhat uncomfortable from what I hear and can be a hassle. I also get the idea that in the service, berets are worn by the more elite. I don't think we're elite. And I like the orange baseball hats. What are your thoughts?

vento

SARDOC

I wear the BBDU and enjoy my Blue Boonie when I'm in the field.

Eclipse

Honestly, if I had a choice between grandma's gardening hat (above) and the CrĂŞpe Suzhat, I'll take the gardening hat.

At least it's functional and appropriate in the field, something the crĂŞpe is not.

Or we could all just wear the BDU hat and quit trying to be something we're not.

Because when you pretend to be something you're not, you show everyone exactly what you are...

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: Eclipse on November 13, 2013, 12:59:13 AM
Honestly, if I had a choice between grandma's gardening hat (above) and the CrĂŞpe Suzhat, I'll take the gardening hat.

At least it's functional and appropriate in the field, something the crĂŞpe is not.

Or we could all just wear the BDU hat and quit trying to be something we're not.

Because when you pretend to be something you're not, you show everyone exactly what you are...

SARDOC

I wear the boonie just solely for it's functionality.  Not because of anything it may imply.  It's a much better All Weather Hat than the BDU cap.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on November 13, 2013, 12:59:13 AM

^ +1000!  This.  Exactly.

Well said, Eclipse.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

gruntmp

Why not a nice Blue Campaign Hat???

Just kidding!!

I've worn all of the above in a variety of situations! Personally, I like the Campaign Hat, but, readily admit that it is probably because I am a history nut and my Great Grandfather wore one while chasing Pancho Villa!

If CAP wants to emphasize its SAR role and recognize that its personnel are going to operate in the field without helmets, then the only logical hat is the boonie! It provides all around coverage to protect the users neck and ears and provide a brim for the eyes. Having spent more than a little while in the woods, plains and desert, I always reach for the boonie whenever I can get away with wearing it! Big Army and the Air Force both hate the boonie because it is not pretty enough! Too bad!

True story! During most of my military career, I took my boonie, PC (that's the standard BDU/DCU/ACU/ABU cap for those of us old enough to have conducted patrols in soft caps, hence Patrol Cap or PC), and beret everywhere I was sent. Most of the time I wore the PC. It easily fits in a pocket whenever I went to chow or had to wear the awesome brain bucket (Steel Pot, Fritz Helmet or ACH in my time!). You can wear a headset with it if you have to monitor comms. Rarely will anyone challenge you on wearing it rather than the beret. The beret was worn only when I was ordered to wear it. Both Army and Air Force commanders have stuck their folks out in the elements in berets with little concern for the health issues! They suck!!!

As for ball caps, they lack the practicality of both the boonie and the PC. They don't provide the protection of the boonie and don't roll into a pocket well. On the other hand, you can get them in wool or in mesh, and, they can be custom made to distinguish a group.

Sitting on my book shelf at the office is a nice World War 2 era helmet liner that was painted a nice glossy blue with staff sergeant stripes hand painted to the front! I think a CAP Prop sticker could cover those stripes! It would be perfect!

Storm Chaser

I'm not crazy about "covers", but I do like my BDU cap. ;)

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Pulsar on November 12, 2013, 07:53:02 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2013, 07:48:47 PM
I know. Please bear with me. I just curios about peoples' opinions.  :D

Eclipse doesn't like opinions... especially those that differ with his own.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Lad, as someone who has worn a beret, everyday, for many years, let me tell you they suck.

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, offer no rain or sun protection... and... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct.

Forget them, they're nothing but trouble.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: vento on November 13, 2013, 12:33:01 AM

The most practical piece of headgear ever designed and issued.
Joseph J. Clune

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 02:00:49 AM

... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct...

No you don't not one bit.

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 14, 2013, 02:26:47 AM

... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct...

Yes you do. It takes a lot of time to do it right.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 14, 2013, 02:30:22 AM

Yes you do. It takes a lot of time to do it right.

No, you don't I wore a beret for 12 years and never ever had to wet it or anything outside of removing excess lint and trimming the stiffner.

FlyTiger77

I am not sure what your experience level is with berets, but their care and feeding is both time- and labor-intensive. (And I am not one to gratuitously agree with Mr. Shuman, my fellow Army field grade officer.)

abdsp51

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 14, 2013, 02:33:58 AM

I am not sure what your experience level is with berets, but their care and feeding is both time- and labor-intensive. (And I am not one to gratuitously agree with Mr. Shuman, my fellow Army field grade officer.)

I wore a beret for fours years in JROTC and then for 12 as Security Forces in the AF.  So I have plenty of experience with berets.  They are not as labor intensive and do not require a large load of shaving, wetting, drying etc to look sharp. 

FlyTiger77

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 14, 2013, 02:36:14 AM

I wore a bere for fours years in JROTC and then for 12 as Security Forces in the AF.  So I have plenty of experience with berets.  They are not that labor intensive and do not require a large load of shaving, wetting, drying etc.

The USAF ones must be of a much different quality than the ones the Army buys then (which really isn't surprising).

abdsp51

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 14, 2013, 02:37:55 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 14, 2013, 02:36:14 AM

I wore a bere for fours years in JROTC and then for 12 as Security Forces in the AF.  So I have plenty of experience with berets.  They are not that labor intensive and do not require a large load of shaving, wetting, drying etc.

The USAF ones must be of a much different quality than the ones the Army buys then (which really isn't surprising).

Much higher quality, I only replace mine a couple of times and they were not made in China.

SARDOC

I was in the Army during the period they shifted from PC's to Berets.  There was a transition period and I waited as long as I could to switch.  I hated the beret and still do.  The wool would make my head itch and the hat wasn't good for anything practical.

abdsp51

Quote from: SARDOC on November 14, 2013, 02:43:33 AM
I was in the Army during the period they shifted from PC's to Berets.  There was a transition period and I waited as long as I could to switch.  I hated the beret and still do.  The wool would make my head itch and the hat wasn't good for anything practical.

Considering they were implemented Army wide as a morale tool and jacked the color from the Rangers it's no wonder they were not popular.

Peeka

Lad Lassie, as someone who has worn a beret, everyday, for many years, let me tell you they suck.

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, offer no rain or sun protection... and... to get that "elite" look you want take HOURS of shaving, soaking, and forming to look half-way correct.

FTFY

Unless you meant...

Lad

/lad/
noun
(Brit.)
  a stable worker (regardless of age or sex).

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Shuman 14

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 14, 2013, 04:47:07 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 02:01:34 AM
Quote from: flyer333555 on November 12, 2013, 08:09:10 PM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

:P

Always two there are. A master and an apprentice.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me. "
- Sorzus Syn

As quoted by Darth Bane.  >:D
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: Peeka on November 14, 2013, 03:24:44 AM

Lad Lassie, as someone who has worn a beret, everyday, for many years, let me tell you they suck.

FTFY

Unless you meant...

Lad

/lad/
noun
(Brit.)
  a stable worker (regardless of age or sex).

Meant a general neutral term for junior Enlisted Personnel. Normally used when speaking in a condescending tone.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

Private Investigator

Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

Sensei and grasshopper.

/s/ watashi   8)

C/Cool

I am what you might call a redneck and am also really attached to my baseball cap.  I wouldn't mind if we could change the BDU caps into woodland camo baseball caps.  Just my opinion though.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

TexasCadet

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 06:01:52 AM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

- Sorzus Syn

Is this the next Star Wars thread? ;D

DennisH

Having worn a few pieces of headgear over the decades I can say the hat does not make the man. Fancy headgear, uniforms and commercials are for recruiting. Berets should be issued in hell, the only place that they may serve a purpose. When I started wearing one you needed a uniform modification card on your person. I had some quality berets that required initial time wasted and follow-on time wasted to meet standards. If anyone has time to complain about headgear, new/old uniforms, current standards or regulations then they have entirely to much free time.
Having worn many different uniforms and accessories I could bore everyone to death with the u inform suggestions submitted by folks with to much time on their hands and a need to feel special.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Assistant Testing Officer
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

DennisH

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 22, 2013, 01:55:34 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2013, 06:01:52 AM
Pulsar and Shuman.

Student and teacher.

Flyer

- Sorzus Syn

Is this the next Star Wars thread? ;D

Only if the Imperial storm troopers start an NCO program  or require all death star pilots to,have a college education :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

jeders

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 01:23:51 AM
I am what you might call a redneck and am also really attached to my baseball cap.  I wouldn't mind if we could change the BDU caps into woodland camo baseball caps.  Just my opinion though.

BDU baseball caps are already allowed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Panache

Quote from: DennisH on November 22, 2013, 01:59:28 AM
Having worn many different uniforms and accessories I could bore everyone to death with the u inform suggestions submitted by folks with to much time on their hands and a need to feel special.

...but...but...but... I thought I was special!

Eclipse

Calling Mr. Durden, Mr. Tyler Durden. 

Please pick up the white phone at Courtesy Desk 4.

"That Others May Zoom"

DennisH

Quote from: Panache on November 22, 2013, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: DennisH on November 22, 2013, 01:59:28 AM

...but...but...but... I thought I was special!

Really special people wear the yellow football helmet with the flashing strobe light to let others know just how special they are and a warning sound is included at no additional cost. :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

C/Cool

Quote from: jeders on November 22, 2013, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 01:23:51 AM

BDU baseball caps are already allowed.
I know you can wear a baseball cap with the BDU's but I have never seen a woodland camo baseball cap to wear with the BDU's. I may be mistaken though.

Eclipse

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 06:47:48 PM
I know you can wear a baseball cap with the BDU's but I have never seen a woodland camo baseball cap to wear with the BDU's. I may be mistaken though.

The bookstore used to sell them, mesh back, very Billy-Bob.

I've had one crushed flat in my gear for about 13 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2013, 06:54:26 PM
Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 06:47:48 PM

The bookstore used to sell them, mesh back, very Billy-Bob.

I've had one crushed flat in my gear for about 13 years.
That's neat. Are those within regs?  That would be what I would want but without the mesh back. I may have to talk to my squadron and see if we could switch to those.

Eclipse

Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 07:12:51 PM
That's neat. Are those within regs?

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

Next time we make something like that, I guess we may need to place red arrows pointing to the example.

::) ::) ::)

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2013, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: VAcadet on November 22, 2013, 07:12:51 PM
That's neat. Are those within regs?

Yep.

The cadet in the last pic is obviously going for the Beetle Bailey look.

Danger

no member in CAP while wearing the CAP uniform will be wearing a "cover." We are not marines or sailors. In Civil Air Patrol and the AF they are called caps or hats.

[/rant]
"Never take anything too seriously."

Storm Chaser

Shuman 14

Quote from: Danger on November 25, 2013, 11:23:53 PM
no member in CAP while wearing the CAP uniform will be wearing a "cover." We are not marines or sailors. In Civil Air Patrol and the AF they are called caps or hats.

[/rant]

http://www.vanguardmil.com/air-force-rain-cap-cover-honor-guard-blue-p-6042.html  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

Panache

Quote from: shuman14 on November 26, 2013, 08:18:37 AM

[/rant]

http://www.vanguardmil.com/air-force-rain-cap-cover-honor-guard-blue-p-6042.html  ;)

"(Hat not included)."

a2capt

With the varied active duty backgrounds of many of our members .. cover, hat, whatever. It works. We all know what they mean.

Split hairs if you want to, but with the acronym of our organization sounding exactly the same as the item placed on ones head, I welcome the 'different' term.

It's like the Lego company having fits over people calling them "Legos", instead of "Lego Bricks", or IACE, "Aye-ace", vs. "I.A.C.E.". It's a battle that will never end. There will be peace in the middle east first.

Luis R. Ramos

Shuman-

I think you misinterpreted the term "cover" in your Vanguard link.

The term "cover" is not for the hat but for the plastic thingie that "covers" the cap in case of rain or snow. In other words it is a "cap cover."

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

FlyTiger77

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 26, 2013, 01:50:24 PM
In other words it is a "cap cover."

And if we wear it over OUR headgear it is a "CAP cap cover"...  ::)

Shuman 14

Quote from: Panache on November 26, 2013, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 26, 2013, 08:18:37 AM

[/rant]

"(Hat not included)."

;D
Joseph J. Clune

Luis R. Ramos

Now he will tell us he knew it all along, and did it to see who would correct him!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

DennisH

And we all know that no matter what we place on our heads is "Covers" them :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

THRAWN

Any votes for a pith helmet yet?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

TexasCadet

Quote from: THRAWN on November 27, 2013, 01:57:08 PM
Any votes for a pith helmet yet?

Here's one vote!

Pros:
Cool (temperature)
Cool (awesome)
Lightweight
Provides protection against small debris
It provides a MAJOR distinction between us and the Air Force.

Cons:
People who think we are the Army (it happens) would think we were NVA, VC, etc.

Luis R. Ramos

Some of you argue that CAP should wear items that the US Army has worn because we are the Air Force Auxiliary and the Air Force came from the Army.

So... since the United States Army wore the spiked Pith Helmet, why are you now saying that the CAP should not wear the Pith Helmet?

It was standard in 1881!

Move down to post #26.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/132444-m1881-dress-officers-helmet/page-2?hl=+pith%20+helmet

Click on link and move down to photo that says United States 10th Infantry in 1899.

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/militaryuniforms.htm#North%20America%2019th

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

DennisH

Since I lack the skill to post pictures I suggest the little blue beenie with a three blade prop on top :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

DennisH

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 27, 2013, 11:17:13 PM
The Lt Dennis look?

http://www.wholesalepartystore.com/store/p/204386-Party-Supplies-Propeller-Beanie-1-Pkg.html?feed=Froogle

Flyer

Close it needs to be aquamarine and have a three bladed prop on top, I wonder if you can sew rank on them :) someone should suggest this to National :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

Luis R. Ramos

May I suggest instead of being completely aquamarine divided in six panels, alternating aquamarine and safety orange?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

ol'fido

Luis R. Ramos

But...but... but it does not have the propeller on top!

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, all of you...
Squadron Safety Officer

ol'fido

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 28, 2013, 01:29:14 AM
But...but... but it does not have the propeller on top!

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, all of you...
Doesn't need one. FLWG GT uniform. >:D

Treadhead

I don't like berets.  Having worn one while in the Army, I can tell you that:

(A) They are hell to maintain, shape and keep them looking right.
(B) You have to look in the mirror each time you put it on to make sure that it is on correctly.
(C) Unless it is shaped/worn correctly, you could end up with the "meadow muffin" or the "Russian sailor" look
(D) It does not protect you from the sun.

And lastly, the beret has always been the symbol for elite forces who have EARNED the right to wear it.  I never felt comfortable wearing a beret for that reason alone.

There is nothing wrong with ball caps.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Treadhead on December 06, 2013, 01:23:00 AM
And lastly, the beret has always been the symbol for elite forces who have EARNED the right to wear it.  I never felt comfortable wearing a beret for that reason alone.

In this country, perhaps.  Among our allies, it is the basic issue headgear.

Canadian basic trainees

German Army General

RAF Air Training Corps Cadets

In their proper context, no.

But to wear them with the G/W kit (39-1 authorises it), which is supposed to be a "dressier" uniform, looks bloody stupid.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on November 28, 2013, 01:26:09 AM

I did not authorize this likeness of me to be posted in this forum. Please cease and desist all usage immediately.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^At first I thought it was me but the beard isn't grey enough.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

Actually, this is a paparazzi pic of Albus Dumbledore. He didn't really die in the Harry Potter novels. He just retired to Florida. Wanted to get out of that drafty old castle. He's got a condo on the beach. Elvis is one of his neighbors.

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on December 06, 2013, 02:54:14 AM

Canadian basic trainees

Oh my God!  Not only did Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence survive, it looks like he transferred to the Canadian Army!

vento

Quote from: CyBorg on December 06, 2013, 02:54:14 AM

Canadian basic trainees

German Army General

RAF Air Training Corps Cadets

In their proper context, no.

But to wear them with the G/W kit (39-1 authorises it), which is supposed to be a "dressier" uniform, looks bloody stupid.

Not only among our allies, but also among our enemies. So, what is the point?  >:D

jeders

And lastly, the beret has always been the symbol for elite forces who have EARNED the right to wear it pretentious French artists.  I never felt comfortable wearing a beret for that reason alone.

FTFY
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Earned the right?
The same could be said about everyone that wears -any- hat as an AD service member. They all got through basic, boot, whatever flavor you want to give it, in our all volunteer forces. They stepped up to the line and crossed it willingly.