CAPM 39-1's Issues

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 20, 2013, 04:43:24 AM

Sapper168

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 07:00:17 PM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:55:43 PM
Well, I disagree with you there. I think that if you can tell the difference between my boots and Corfams, then I'm doing it wrong. I find a deep sense of responsibility when representing CAP, USAF, and the Armed Forces as a whole.

Mirror-shiny boots have nothing to do with "representing the Air Force", or anyone else for that matter, bearing and attitude say a lot more.

Just as a note, except in a few select areas, the USAF no longer wears black, shine-able boots.

Not with field or basic duty uniforms at any rate.  ;)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 06:51:56 PM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:46:42 PM
Let's just say I'm a little old school, when it comes to my uniform. I don't get much sleep the day before I wear my uniform because of all the squaring away. As in 3 1/2 hours shining boots for BDU's and 4 on the boots for my blues. I am rather certain that I am SAT.

If you're spending more then a few minutes shining your boots, you're doing it wrong.

I was lamenting just the other day as I was moving my Corcorans in the closet that "I don't ever get a chance to spitshine anymore.."

Then I laughed at myself.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

USGC-Black smooth leather
U.S. Air Force- Black Smooth Leather with dress uniforms
U.S. Army-Black Smooth leather(common among paras)
U.S. Navy-Black Smooth leather with NWU
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Майор Хаткевич

I used to shine my boots 1-2 hours while watching Band of Brothers. I've even shined Eclipse's boots once or twice (volunteered, no hazing involved).

Now that I'm a SM? I run a cloth over them, they look black and clean. I call it a day and off I go to the meeting. I've yet to bust a cadet for not having shiny shoes. If they are CLEAN, then I move onto their uniforms. If the uniform is clean, everything is placed properly, then I tell them good job, and move onto some other important task that actually matters.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 08:26:43 PM
USGC-Black smooth leather
U.S. Air Force- Black Smooth Leather with dress uniforms
U.S. Army-Black Smooth leather(common among paras)
U.S. Navy-Black Smooth leather with NWU

Yea...no.

VNY

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 07:45:58 PM
The Navy NWU is black rough out (which I'm assuming means suede?).

CAP should adopt a blue version of that to be distinctive.

Just don't step on them.

Airman De Ruiter

I sure as hell don't wear rough outs with my NWU's.

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:00:37 PM

The NWU allows for an optional "no shine boot" - (i.e. suede).  By far the majority of those I see in NWU's are wearing that option.

We are all now curious why you have both NWUs and ABUs in addition to CAP uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Spending hours Shining shoes? Really? Last time i did that was in  bootcamp, or before I had corframs. Plus it really does not take 2-3 hours to mirror your shoes. Trust me, give me 30 Mintues and both shoes will be a mirror gloss. Unless your on the Color Guard, Inspection, Honor Guard etc, you do not have to have mirror shined shoes. I suggest have 2 to 3 pairs. Inspection Pair, Normal Pair, etc. I understand you take pride in your uniforms I do, but mirror shine is not neccesary. 
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

JayT

Disregard.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

The NWU allows for an optional "no shine boot" - (i.e. suede).  By far the majority of those I see in NWU's are wearing that option.

We are all now curious why you have both NWUs and ABUs in addition to CAP uniforms.

I'm an AFJROTC Cadet, Navy S.C.C. Cadet, CAP Cadet, and former NJROTC Cadet. I'm kind of into the whole military thing.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:35:35 PMI'm an AFJROTC Cadet, Navy S.C.C. Cadet, CAP Cadet, and former NJROTC Cadet. I'm kind of into the whole military thing.

And yet you're struggling with basic questions of protocol when given a conflicting directive.  A snarky attitude when dealing with
adults, especially the first day you interact with them, isn't going to serve you very well, either, especially when you're underinformed.

Permit me to draw some lines.

You are in AFJROTC and want to make sure those in your CAP unit know you are wearing ABU's there, so you've decided that if your
cadet commander says it's OK, then you will wear a clearly unauthorized shirt under your BDU's, so that every time it's noticed, you
can mention the ABUs.

Close?

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I thaught someone involved in that many "Military" type things, would know to take advise from senior members of the organizations you are representing? I am not  senior by no means, but i take adivse of these fine Cap Talkers, and use them wisely.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

JayT

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:35:35 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

I'm an AFJROTC Cadet, Navy S.C.C. Cadet, CAP Cadet, and former NJROTC Cadet. I'm kind of into the whole military thing.

And clearly you haven't learn the important lessons from those organizations. The important lessons that I use from my time as a CAP cadet and a JROTC cadet don't involve boot shining or how to press a uniform shirt. The lessons that I use on a daily bases are how to both lead a team and be part of one, how to receive and give orders, how to interact with people, how to conduct myself professionally, and how to work under people I may or may not agree with.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Airman De Ruiter

Whelp, to sum it up, no. For one, the very definition of tan is "a pale shade of brown", so it's not exactly a black and white directive. My superior officers have said tan is perfectly acceptable and I find it way more comfortable and economical to buy one shade of moisture-wick shirt. I did, however, have the sneaking suspicion that it was wrong so I came here to get a little more guidance. Once people here said that tan is a no go, did I say "I'm going to wear it anyway."? No. I understand you are more experienced than me, but on the internet, I'm going to treat you with the respect and attitude of a peer.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 10:06:47 PM
Whelp, to sum it up, no. For one, the very definition of tan is "a pale shade of brown", so it's not exactly a black and white directive.
As Devil Doc said, the official shade of the ABU shirt is "sand" not "tan".  Do you think that's an accident?  You can't assert a legalistic
interpretation of the definition and then just ignore other important details.

There is a myriad of choices in the shade of brown, depending on manufacturer, and how you care for the shirt, they will always
look something like the one on the left, and never close to the one on the right.

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 10:06:47 PMI understand you are more experienced than me, but on the internet, I'm going to treat you with the respect and attitude of a peer.

The internet does not change the rules of protocol between senior members and cadets.

Nor between adults and adolescents. 

Your ability to type in a browser does not make you a "peer" in any sense of the word.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I think it is wise Airman to Walk on Egg shells on this Forum and get to know people first. Beleive it or not, there are people on this Forum who are members of NHQ, just be carefull. We all appreciate your enthuiasm,  just sit back and learn. CAP is a great orgnaization, dont start making enemies early. Also, if your a cadet, you cannot tell who is a SM and Cadet on this Forum Regardless everybody has experience when you ask a question. Welcome to Cap Talk, Enjoy the Forums, dont Bull Horn these members, and dont bite the hands that feeds you.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

JayT

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 10:06:47 PM
Whelp, to sum it up, no. For one, the very definition of tan is "a pale shade of brown", so it's not exactly a black and white directive. My superior officers have said tan is perfectly acceptable and I find it way more comfortable and economical to buy one shade of moisture-wick shirt. I did, however, have the sneaking suspicion that it was wrong so I came here to get a little more guidance. Once people here said that tan is a no go, did I say "I'm going to wear it anyway."? No. I understand you are more experienced than me, but on the internet, I'm going to treat you with the respect and attitude of a peer.

I'll give you a hint of advice. Don't write anything on the internet that you wouldn't say to someones face. I know several people who were fired (as in, no more checks, no more ability to support their family, no more benefits, big black mark on their records) from jobs at large and prominent agencies because of posts they made on Facebook on 'private' accounts or because they couldn't hold there opinions on a related forum.