Why are there such egregious uniform violations...if indeed there are?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, May 16, 2012, 01:54:27 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I keep reading on CT that the reasons the Air Force keeps us on such a tight leash uniform-wise is because of such apparently egregious uniform violations that so many of our members commit.

I came in just after the imposition of the berry boards, which, depending on who you talk to, were forced on us by the AF because of the actions of a few stupid people who were indeed playing "wanna be" and throwing around rank they aren't authorised to do.

That was in the late '80s/early '90s.  We're still carrying the cross for the actions of those few.

Over almost two decades in CAP, in two wings, in senior, cadet and composite squadrons, I have never personally seen the kind of uniform violations that many CT folk cite as reasons for the AF keeping us under their uniform microscope (and which a small percentage cite as reasons for us to junk the AF uniforms entirely).  Yes, some of them have been substantiated by photographic evidence, so I'm not saying they don't happen.

If these violations are as widespread as claimed, I ask only one question: why?

Did they happen back in what I sometimes call the Golden Age of CAP, when we were welcomed on AF installations and the AF embraced us a lot more than they do now?

If not, when did the downhill slide happen?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

I think you are somewhere near the real truth here.

a.  Most of the "Violations" are of the nature of "My cousin's roommate's friend once saw" sort of thing.
b.  We tend to have a very long collective memory.....and we pass off a lot of what happend in '80s and '90s as happening yestereday.
c.  The Urban Legend, Training by Rumor system is stong in CAP.  We pass off a lot of "why this is important" with a story that has been told and retold.....but no one really knows for sure.....I point out the rumor about why we started U.S. Flag on the BDUs.  I had people swear it was because HWSNBN was mistaken for a South American military type during Katrina.  Same story when we pulled the USAF AUX off the tails of the aircraft.  We has a lot of rumor about WHY it was happening but no real truth.

Now we have all seen someone out there not doing it right.....for one reason or another.  And yes there is photographic evidence all the time of someone not doing it right.

That is bottom line.....training......consistant training.  The cadets all go to encampment and so the cadets tend to be consitant.  Those that go to encampment as basics or on staff pass what they learn down to their troops.  So long as the encampment is not doing stupid stuff then we don't get stupid stuff in the squadrons.

On the Senior side.....we just don't have that as much.  We expect our seniors to either ask or look it up themselves.  Ususually they just look around and follow the example of those around them. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

The "Air Force" has never given this stuff a minutes thought.  This is about 99% CAPTalk culture and 1% reality.

Cool Mace

The Air Force only gives what we ask. If we don't ask for the change, then they won't take it upon themselves to give it to us. CAP provides what we want for uniforms, and they then give us a yes or no.

We might still be paying for what Bowling did, but we can't have what we don't ask for.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Pylon

I have yet to see any actual evidence, attributable quotes, statements, or even overhead chatter from AF personnel that the Air Force is somehow sick of perceived or actual uniform violations by CAP members.

Plus, we may notice when a CAP member wears his or her membership ribbon backwards or makes some small uniform violation because we're around it all the time -- but the Air Force is not at 99% of CAP functions.  They aren't at your weekly meetings, or on your cadet o-flights, or at your professional development seminars or your routine training or your bivouacs.  And the PAOs do a pretty good job of screening out photos picturing uniform violations, so much of that minor stuff never reaches the public or USAF's eye anyway.

This is one of those rumors that seems to get perpetuated by CAP members without any apparent basis in fact or reality.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

The only difference between our CAP (Auxiliary) uniform and the Air Force uniform is the gray sliders on the eps.  That is a big difference between our "golden age" and now.  It is not, however, cause to say the Air Force is happy with our enforcement of uniform wear.  We do not have metal rank because of a certain CAWG member (now on NHQ) who wore brown cowboy boots with the blues while being 100 lbs over the weight limit (I would quote then CoS Gen Foglesong but, I would have to mention a name which, is a violation of CT code of conduct).  We lost blue sliders because of the fued between the SECAF and AFCoS over Harwell's "promotion".  These are well documented.  Just need to go to the right source and do some real research. 

As far as a general AF disgust of our uniform enforcement; I can only relate to  CI teams comments.  I've read numerous comments on the lack of proper wear of the Air Force (style) uniform by members of the Civil Air Patrol over the 16 years I've been dealing with such. I've seen a wing commander wear the brown A1 leather jacket with flight suit.  I've noticed boonie hats with the BDU's.  I've seen members way over the weight limit and, at the last wing conference I attended, I noticed members still wearing blue sliders on their uniforms.  I know the Air Force is aware of this stuff.  How it is effecting us now is a good question.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Pylon on May 16, 2012, 04:33:06 PM
I have yet to see any actual evidence, attributable quotes, statements, or even overhead chatter from AF personnel that the Air Force is somehow sick of perceived or actual uniform violations by CAP members.

Plus, we may notice when a CAP member wears his or her membership ribbon backwards or makes some small uniform violation because we're around it all the time -- but the Air Force is not at 99% of CAP functions.  They aren't at your weekly meetings, or on your cadet o-flights, or at your professional development seminars or your routine training or your bivouacs.  And the PAOs do a pretty good job of screening out photos picturing uniform violations, so much of that minor stuff never reaches the public or USAF's eye anyway.

This is one of those rumors that seems to get perpetuated by CAP members without any apparent basis in fact or reality.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dead on!
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

abdsp51

I think a lot of our issues are self inflicted, and membership as a whole has an uphill fight to rectify the issues.  Personally I have no issues with SM who are allowed to wear the AF style uniform have grey slides or the nameplate, which looks better than the [darn] maroon things of the 90s.  Having read through CAPM or is it CAPR39-1 it is in serious need of an overhaul, in many aspects, and people having the courage to say something when a violation is observed.  But until there is clear cut guidelines to enforce things will continue to be an enforcement nightmare and we will have this he said she said debates, and everything else.

NCRblues

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2012, 07:02:18 PM
I think a lot of our issues are self inflicted, and membership as a whole has an uphill fight to rectify the issues.  Personally I have no issues with SM who are allowed to wear the AF style uniform have grey slides or the nameplate, which looks better than the [darn] maroon things of the 90s.  Having read through CAPM or is it CAPR39-1 it is in serious need of an overhaul, in many aspects, and people having the courage to say something when a violation is observed.  But until there is clear cut guidelines to enforce things will continue to be an enforcement nightmare and we will have this he said she said debates, and everything else.

I really believe that the largest area of concern is the lack of an update on CAPM 39-1. The current 39-1 has problems. It contradicts itself, has loop holes you could fly a 787 through so forth and so on.

A re-do of 39-1 would go a long way in helping cap get over our uniform problems.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on May 16, 2012, 02:15:34 PM
a.  Most of the "Violations" are of the nature of "My cousin's roommate's friend once saw" sort of thing.
b.  We tend to have a very long collective memory.....and we pass off a lot of what happend in '80s and '90s as happening yestereday.
c.  The Urban Legend, Training by Rumor system is stong in CAP.  We pass off a lot of "why this is important" with a story that has been told and retold.....but no one really knows for sure.....I point out the rumor about why we started U.S. Flag on the BDUs.  I had people swear it was because HWSNBN was mistaken for a South American military type during Katrina.  Same story when we pulled the USAF AUX off the tails of the aircraft.  We has a lot of rumor about WHY it was happening but no real truth.

I couldn't have said that better myself!

I have never seen any of those examples...but I've HEARD of them...validation of point C.

I think what you said about point B is really prevalent the higher-up one goes, especially in terms of what Cool Mace said about "asking" and "getting."  I think that the berry boards are so burned into senior CAP officers' collective memory (your point B) that they've got really gun-shy about "what to ask for" WRT the Air Force.  I know that various well-meaning personages post that we have to wait for the NUC (?) to publish its conclusions, and then take them to the Air Force...however, my deeply cynical side (which existed long before I ever joined CAP) says that little to nothing will happen on that front, at least with the AF uniform, and that WRT the "corporate" uniform, probably just entrench once and for all that it's the only distinctive uniform we need or will ever have, but with little to no changes.

Quote from: RiverAux on May 16, 2012, 02:21:38 PM
The "Air Force" has never given this stuff a minutes thought.  This is about 99% CAPTalk culture and 1% reality.

I believe you, because outside of higher-ups in AETC, the Air Force in general doesn't even know who we are. >:(

Quote from: Cool Mace on May 16, 2012, 03:25:15 PM
We might still be paying for what Bowling did, but we can't have what we don't ask for.

What did he do?  I was referring to Harwell...

Quote from: FW on May 16, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
The only difference between our CAP (Auxiliary) uniform and the Air Force uniform is the gray sliders on the eps.  That is a big difference between our "golden age" and now.  It is not, however, cause to say the Air Force is happy with our enforcement of uniform wear.  We do not have metal rank because of a certain CAWG member (now on NHQ) who wore brown cowboy boots with the blues while being 100 lbs over the weight limit (I would quote then CoS Gen Foglesong but, I would have to mention a name which, is a violation of CT code of conduct).  We lost blue sliders because of the fued between the SECAF and AFCoS over Harwell's "promotion".  These are well documented.  Just need to go to the right source and do some real research. 

Colonel, I've heard all of those things except the bit about the cowboy boots.  I thought the hard rank went out along with the blue sliders because of Harwell.

However, I do respectfully differ on the "golden age" part.  When I first came into CAP ('93), I remember being welcomed onto AF installations, greeted with a smile (and sometimes a salute) and chatting with AF personnel about CAP and what we do.

Now when I go onto an AF installation I almost get the feeling that I need to be apologetic..."I'm sorry that some of our members don't respect your uniform, I do my best to wear it correctly, but when you see me you probably think of all those stories about CAP members trolling for salutes, and I'm sorry about that."

As far as a general AF disgust of our uniform enforcement; I can only relate to  CI teams comments.  I've read numerous comments on the lack of proper wear of the Air Force (style) uniform by members of the Civil Air Patrol over the 16 years I've been dealing with such. I've seen a wing commander wear the brown A1 leather jacket with flight suit.  I've noticed boonie hats with the BDU's.  I've seen members way over the weight limit and, at the last wing conference I attended, I noticed members still wearing blue sliders on their uniforms.  I know the Air Force is aware of this stuff.  How it is effecting us now is a good question.

Blue slides?  Where do they have them, stuffed away in a collection somewhere?  My first unit had some when I joined but various members bought/appropriated them for their collections.  I see them on Evilbay now and again, and they usually go fast.  A former commander had a collection, including warrant officer grade.

I sometimes see what I think may be weight violations, but without actually asking someone to step on a scale (not happening), I cannot say for sure.  I also think this is one of the goofiest parts of our uniform regs, because I have not infrequently seen Air Force members - Active, Guard and Reserve - who would be over OUR weight limits, let alone THEIRS.

I haven't seen that at wing conferences, but I confess to not having been to a wing conference in some years.  There were enough Air Force officers and NCO's at the ones I attended (including a region conference) that probably would have put the kibosh on that sharpish.

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2012, 07:02:18 PM
I think a lot of our issues are self inflicted, and membership as a whole has an uphill fight to rectify the issues.  Personally I have no issues with SM who are allowed to wear the AF style uniform have grey slides or the nameplate, which looks better than the [darn] maroon things of the 90s.

Agreed in part, in fact wholeheartedly agreed about the self-inflicted.

But our way of "rectifying" seems to be saying "just wear the golf shirt/aviator combo." >:(

I also agree that the grey rank looks a LOT better than the berry boards.  As soon as I got my grey slides, I threw my maroon ones in the circular file.

However, I think it set a bad precedent in that the unspoken CAP "solution" for uniform problems is to make everything grey. ::) (just waiting for an oval brass belt buckle saying "CS" and a kepi to be authorised  :P).

Quote from: NCRblues on May 16, 2012, 07:18:22 PM
I really believe that the largest area of concern is the lack of an update on CAPM 39-1. The current 39-1 has problems. It contradicts itself, has loop holes you could fly a 787 through so forth and so on.

A re-do of 39-1 would go a long way in helping cap get over our uniform problems.

A guarded "yes" to that one.  The cleverest can still find loopholes in even the tightest regs.

For example, what's wrong with my wearing the flight cap with my blue jumpsuit?  The only difference is that it's not NOMEX, and no-one (but me) would know if I did so (for the record: I don't and I won't).  I saw it worn very frequently with the old Smurf suit.  I've asked NHQ about it and just get a word-for-word restatement of what's in 39-1. ::)

Good answers, everybody! :)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

I seriously doubt the "Air Force" gives a lot of attention on a daily basis to CAP uniforms, however with that said, we cause a lot of our own problems.

Quote from: CyBorg on May 16, 2012, 01:54:27 PMIf these violations are as widespread as claimed, I ask only one question: why?

The main issues are caused by a lack of command imperative coupled with almost no consequences for violations.  There's also:

Apathy.
Lack of knowledge and inconsistent training.
Aversion to uncomfortable conversations.
Attitude that "no one will notice"

No to mention a nice mix of some of the attitudes exhibited by posters here, which engage some of the most bizarre mental gymnastics
for not wearing this or that combo correctly, or at all.  Every kind of nonsense from "safety" to "no one said I can't".

Back to the OP, there's plenty of willful violations to go around, and I can tell you that the USAF does notice, and not just in regards to
the USAF-style uniforms, but in the corporate variants as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: CyBorg on May 16, 2012, 08:59:12 PM
I believe you, because outside of higher-ups in AETC, the Air Force in general doesn't even know who we are. >:(

On this I can tell you that group, wing, numbered AF CCs etc in all MAJCOMs of the AF know who CAP is and what we do.  They get a presentation of it and a tour of the AFRCC from 1st AF.  What they do with the information is entirely on them.  I think that if our members for one reason or another are the root cause of issues.  These issues can be fixed by membership and one way is for clearer guidelines on things and not leaving much open to interpretation.  I went through SLS here and the first day at lunch going from the food court to clothing sales I received two salutes in that short trip alone.  I didn't stop and tell them as they didn't know any better but I sure as heck wasn't trolling for it either.  Alot of uniform violations can be seemed up basically by the following;

1) Ignorance
2) Not caring
3) Not Properly trained

It is up to us the membership to rectify issues from the bottom up.  Alot of members gripe they don't receive alot of support from the AF has your leadership approached the powers to be on the yard?  Most command slots on a yard are a set time frame, and there most wg commanders are always looking for how to improve their base and community relations. 

Eclipse

There's also the issue of the willful violations that involve high-visibility items.

If you have a badge too low, are wearing an EMT and GTM, or military ribbons on your whites, no one is likely to take as much notice
as if the violation involves a leather jacket, boonie hat, beret, or some other item that everyone knows is controversial, has a limited (or zero) wear lane
and may be a sore spot with the USAF.

But rather than consider collateral damage, some members "know better".

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2012, 09:18:37 PM
I seriously doubt the "Air Force" gives a lot of attention on a daily basis to CAP uniforms, however with that said, we cause a lot of our own problems.

Agreed, until they get a report of some misguided CAP member trolling for a salute...then they do notice us.

The main issues are caused by a lack of command imperative couple with almost no consequences for violations.

I guess I was lucky in that I came into a squadron that wore the AF almost uniform exclusively...and told you about it if you didn't wear it right.

No to mention a nice mix of some of the attitudes exhibited by posters here, which engage some of the most bizarre mental gymnastics
for not wearing this or that combo correctly, or at all.

Unfortunately I have noticed that.

Back to the OP, there's plenty of willful violations to go around, and I can tell you that the USAF does notice, and not just in regards to
the USAF-style uniforms, but in the corporate variants as well.

Not to sound flippant, but why do they care about the corporate variants, other than someone wrongly wearing military blingage on them when we're not supposed to?

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2012, 09:33:32 PM
On this I can tell you that group, wing, numbered AF CCs etc in all MAJCOMs of the AF know who CAP is and what we do.

Point taken on that, but again that's mostly chaps and chapesses with egg on their caps.

The further down you go, unless said airman/NCO/lieutenant is a CAP member themselves, the more likely to be unfamiliar with CAP they are.

I remember reading in the Air Force Times that one Airman said his MTI told him to "ignore" CAP members if he encountered them.

I went through SLS here and the first day at lunch going from the food court to clothing sales I received two salutes in that short trip alone. 

I wasn't intending to make this about salutes...I had it inculcated from the getgo that we were not entitled to them and just return them and a greeting when we get them.

It is up to us the membership to rectify issues from the bottom up. 

Other than policing my own behaviour and making my own conduct as exemplary as possible, I am unsure how to do that.

Alot of members gripe they don't receive alot of support from the AF has your leadership approached the powers to be on the yard?  Most command slots on a yard are a set time frame, and there most wg commanders are always looking for how to improve their base and community relations. 

Which level of leadership?

I am very much an "in-the-background" type of person, and though you wouldn't know it from my CT blathering, I am quite reserved to the point of being monosyllabic at times. :-X  Above squadron level, I doubt many in Group or Wing leadership even know who I am (seriously) beyond a face they see occasionally and a name on a roster.  My point: I'm not privy to if/when/what/why those up the food chain from me have done.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

Squadron commander and group commanders would be a good place to start with.  And there is nothing wrong with being behind the scenes, those guys/gals are the unsung heroes of many operations activities etc. 

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on May 16, 2012, 09:57:53 PM
Not to sound flippant, but why do they care about the corporate variants, other than someone wrongly wearing military blingage on them when we're not supposed to?

Wrong is wrong, and just because the shirt is white instead of blue, doesn't mean that a member's lack of respect for the uniform or attention to detail goes unnoticed.  The Patton Paradigm® is the same no matter what uniform you are wearing, military, corporate, or your personal employment.

It would probably surprise some people to find out just how well informed some State Directors and CAP-RAPs actually are about uniforms, and the
comments they make about "Major Payne wearing the regimental tie with his whites...", etc.

"Patton Paradigm®" is a registered trademark of eClipseco Mining and Heavy Machinery Consortium.  All Rights Reserved.
Let eClipseco service all of your rhetoric and propaganda needs!

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: CyBorg on May 16, 2012, 08:59:12 PM

Colonel, I've heard all of those things except the bit about the cowboy boots.  I thought the hard rank went out along with the blue sliders because of Harwell.

However, I do respectfully differ on the "golden age" part.  When I first came into CAP ('93), I remember being welcomed onto AF installations, greeted with a smile (and sometimes a salute) and chatting with AF personnel about CAP and what we do.

Now when I go onto an AF installation I almost get the feeling that I need to be apologetic..."I'm sorry that some of our members don't respect your uniform, I do my best to wear it correctly, but when you see me you probably think of all those stories about CAP members trolling for salutes, and I'm sorry about that."

Blue slides?  Where do they have them, stuffed away in a collection somewhere?  My first unit had some when I joined but various members bought/appropriated them for their collections.  I see them on Evilbay now and again, and they usually go fast.  A former commander had a collection, including warrant officer grade.

I sometimes see what I think may be weight violations, but without actually asking someone to step on a scale (not happening), I cannot say for sure.  I also think this is one of the goofiest parts of our uniform regs, because I have not infrequently seen Air Force members - Active, Guard and Reserve - who would be over OUR weight limits, let alone THEIRS.

I haven't seen that at wing conferences, but I confess to not having been to a wing conference in some years.  There were enough Air Force officers and NCO's at the ones I attended (including a region conference) that probably would have put the kibosh on that sharpish.

CyBorg, we're basically on the same page however, when I mentioned "the Golden Age", I was referring only to the resemblence of our current uniform with those of 15 years ago and longer. I can remember the days when our membership card was all which was needed to get access to an AF Base. 

Yes, some members wear the blue slides even today.  Yes, it's been a million years since they were authorized and, yes, they went away because of the Harwell promotion (not Harwell).

In my many years as a CAP member (many many) I've noticed more and more uniform violations. I've been forced to listen to a few CAP-USAF/CCs and a few pentagon officials "remarking" about how "we" wear the uniform.  However, as I've already said, I have no idea if these "remarks" translate into adverse actions on CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on May 16, 2012, 10:15:25 PM
Yes, some members wear the blue slides even today.  Yes, it's been a million years since they were authorized and, yes, they went away because of the Harwell promotion (not Harwell).

We've still got people wearing wing patches on blues.
Quote from: FW on May 16, 2012, 10:15:25 PM
In my many years as a CAP member (many many) I've noticed more and more uniform violations. I've been forced to listen to a few CAP-USAF/CCs and a few pentagon officials "remarking" about how "we" wear the uniform.  However, as I've already said, I have no idea if these "remarks" translate into adverse actions on CAP.

Perhaps when those remarks are made, you might suggest that they assist in supporting making our uniform situation less...complicated.
Granted, the situation has evolved over 20-30 years, and the "hows" and "whys" are complicated, but the fixes could be quick and simple.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2012, 10:19:15 PM
...the fixes could be quick and simple.

You were making so much sense in your posts, why do you have to screw-up now? :P

"Quick and simple fixes" with the subject being CAP uniforms?

One might as well try to untie a Gordian Knot or calculate the value of Pi.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Extremepredjudice

Pi:  3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510

Someone calcuated Pi out to the 10 trillionth place. So don't say it is impossible to calculate Pi. And the gordian knot was untied. The two variations either have alexander cut it, and the other he unties it.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"