wearing uniforms to school for recruiting

Started by lycan1138, July 24, 2011, 05:52:19 AM

lycan1138

i heard a cadet say this and it sounds interesting

lordmonar

Get your squadron commander's permission first.
Then talk with your school adminstation to make sure they don't mind recruiting at school....then go for it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

I would add a caution to make certain that those cadets aren't doing it to just show off. A lot of them do. If their intentions are above board, go for it. (After the considerations that monar put forth are met, of course.)

JBC

I would go against it for the cadets sake. A giant ego commonly stems from cap. Letting cadets where uniforms to school certainly wouldn't be helpful in this respect. I had this problem my first year in cap, and found myself rejected by the normal social loop as a result of my flamboyancy. I've gotten much better, suppressing my cockiness even from hawk mountain. But that's just me. I'm sure there are some schools out there where CAP's  more popular.

DakRadz

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 10:14:16 PM
I would go against it for the cadets sake. A giant ego commonly stems from cap. Letting cadets where uniforms to school certainly wouldn't be helpful in this respect. I had this problem my first year in cap, and found myself rejected by the normal social loop as a result of my flamboyancy. I've gotten much better, suppressing my cockiness even from hawk mountain. But that's just me. I'm sure there are some schools out there where CAP's  more popular.
Sounds like you learned from the way you acted. School of Hard-Knocks is not necessarily a bad one.

Just because you didn't succeed doesn't mean there aren't trustworthy cadets out there. I often wore my blues to school as we had a JROTC presence as well, and people did indeed notice that I had a LOT fewer ribbons on (when in CAP blues, xD)- it made people ask questions about my uniform since it was just different enough to intrigue.

However, the squadron was 30 miles away, so I did end up being the only CAP cadet in a 10-12 HS of 1500... But had one been closer, it would have worked.

Major Lord

When I was a Deputy Commander for Cadets, I gave my Cadets permission to wear their Uniforms to school on any occasion, as long as they had recruiting info and collected names of potential Cadets so we could do a follow-up if they never showed at a meeting. It was a great recruiting tool, and we drew lots of Cadets that way. I also cautioned them that if the School objected, they would need to go back to politically correct kiddie clothing  for public schools. ( You know, Che Guevara T-Shirts and sandals and the like) Since at that time we had a disproportionately number of home-school kids, it was never a problem. I never wanted them to be ashamed of having the privilege of wearing our Country's Uniform.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Major Lord on July 26, 2011, 10:42:30 PM
...sandals and the like...

Slightly off topic, but you seem to have this thing with sandals - I find that they keep my feet comfy and cool! >:D :angel:

lycan1138

I'm a senior member and also deputy commander of cadets and  I'm also a senior at the school so I can make sure the act properly

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lycan1138 on July 28, 2011, 04:54:49 AM
I'm a senior member and also deputy commander of cadets and  I'm also a senior at the school so I can make sure the act properly

18 year old Deputy Commander?

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 28, 2011, 05:27:24 AM

That's definitely a recipe for success.....

Hawk200

Could be 19 by now, I was 19 when I graduated high school. 18 as a new senior, but 19 when graduated.

Doesn't sound wise, and I know of a wing or three that required a former cadet to leave a cadet squadron for a minimum of two years before returning to hold a staff position in a unit with cadets. Never saw any studies on it, so I don't know the efficacy of the policy. At first hearing it, it sounds like a way to ensure the maturity of the individual, but I didn't know anyone affected by it, so I can't make any judgements on whether or not it works.

lordmonar

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2011, 11:10:01 AM

Better then letting the position go vacant, which may have been the only alternative?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

No worse off than a brand new member taking the position due to manning issues.  At least most 18yr old SMs have some CAP experience as a cadet (at least the ones I've met)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 28, 2011, 05:48:13 PM

No worse off than a brand new member taking the position due to manning issues.  At least most 18yr old SMs have some CAP experience as a cadet (at least the ones I've met)

When it comes to CAP SM, both are just as bad I suppose. As a new SM, I know I don't know....much.

lycan1138

well my commander chose me because of my maturity not only am i in this program I'm a volunteer firefighter been in military style programs for a long time and a very fair officer.  and we are very short handed... 

cust0s

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 24, 2011, 06:55:30 PM
I would add a caution to make certain that those cadets aren't doing it to just show off. A lot of them do. If their intentions are above board, go for it. (After the considerations that monar put forth are met, of course.)

What's wrong with showing off?  As long as they have permission and act appropriately by properly representing CAP in uniform, then where is the harm in them having pride in wearing this uniform?  Especially, considering that they would get to show ribbons, people might ask questions, and they can explain what each award means, etc...  I'm sure this is no different then the other organizations (JROTC, ROTC, etc...) who have programs on campus and require the occasional wear of the uniform.  I would be hesitant to allow BDUs, but the dress uniform in most service organizations was meant to be worn in public.  Don't get me wrong, we still need to abide by the CAP uniform wear policy, but in general, especially when recruitment is concerned, there is no harm in wearing the dress uniform in general.  It just depends but cadets need to understand that if you put the uniform on, people will approach you, and you must act properly while in and even out of uniform.  Just my $0.02.
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

Hawk200

Quote from: cust0s on August 01, 2011, 08:58:11 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 24, 2011, 06:55:30 PM

What's wrong with showing off?  As long as they have permission and act appropriately by properly representing CAP in uniform, then where is the harm in them having pride in wearing this uniform?  Especially, considering that they would get to show ribbons, people might ask questions, and they can explain what each award means, etc...  I'm sure this is no different then the other organizations (JROTC, ROTC, etc...) who have programs on campus and require the occasional wear of the uniform.  I would be hesitant to allow BDUs, but the dress uniform in most service organizations was meant to be worn in public.  Don't get me wrong, we still need to abide by the CAP uniform wear policy, but in general, especially when recruitment is concerned, there is no harm in wearing the dress uniform in general.  It just depends but cadets need to understand that if you put the uniform on, people will approach you, and you must act properly while in and even out of uniform.  Just my $0.02.
There's a major difference between pride and showing off.

cust0s

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 01, 2011, 09:18:06 AM

Okay, and that would be?  Please enlighten me.  Thanks.
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

Hawk200

Quote from: cust0s on August 01, 2011, 01:37:34 PM

Start with Merriam-Webster. The definitions are more plain than I tend to give.

DakRadz

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 01, 2011, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: cust0s on August 01, 2011, 01:37:34 PM

Start with Merriam-Webster. The definitions are more plain than I tend to give.

Agreed with Hawk. I've seen cadets in JROTC and CAP take pride in their achievements, rank, uniform, and program. And I've seen cadets show off (myself included).

Guess which action portrays our programs in a bad light and warranted a "discussion" with the SNCO? I'm talking retired SNCO, not cadet type.