FLWG Unit Citation?

Started by DC, April 17, 2011, 05:40:11 PM

FastAttack

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2011, 09:14:47 PM
Enough with the dots.

Quote from: starshippe on April 21, 2011, 02:09:08 PM
The dwh participants received permission at last week's georgia wing conference to wear the disaster relief ribbon with the silver v.

Recipients do not "receive permission" - either an approved 120 exists or it doesn't.  We've had this issue for years where senior officials
hand out decs at conferences with no substantiation, which then causes issues years later for members wearing unusual decorations with nothing on file.

I'd have no issue with a ribbon based on major missions - its not like we have that many, or that it would affect that many members as a whole.  The military does it with major engagements, wars, and relief efforts, why shouldn't we?  Besides, as defined, the DR-V is inappropriate for the Spill mission.

We don't have a 120 approved.. so in reality not sure why GW is authorizing to wear it.

They specifically told us that the list of people that participated with the required form would be posted. Hell i don't think any of the participating wings have gotten any awards given yet.

As far as ribbons per major missions I would agree.. reflect your work as a volunteer. Although some people might just do it for the shirt candy.

Kaye Downing

Today FLWG members received information about the Unit Citation and it was not for a specified action but for actions and activities over a three year time period.

Here is the information:

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
CIVIL AIR PATROL
-USAF AUXILIARY-
Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama 36112-6332
PERSONNEL ACTIONS) 12 April 2011 NUMBER NHQ 50)
The Civil Air Patrol UNIT CITATION AWARD is awarded to FLORIDA WING (ELEVENTH AWARD), for outstanding achievements, exceptional service, and high degree of performance during the,periods 1 February 2008 through 9 April 2011, effective 12 April 2011. AUTHORITY: CAPR39-3.
FOR THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
SUSAN P. PARKER
DISTRIBUTION:
Chief, Personnel & Member Actions
1 -Ea Individual Concerned
1 -Ea NEC Member
1 -Ea Wing Concerned
1 -Ea Region Concerned
1 -Ea CAP-USAF LR Concerned
1-EX
1-CC

Kaye Downing, Capt, CAP
Jacksonville Composite Squadron
FL-383

Eclipse

That just looks like a standard UC for FL001, not everyone in the wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

It's for everyone in the Wing. It was not FL001 specific
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

HGjunkie

So, everyone in FLWG wears a UC ribbon now?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RiverAux

Having received one of these multi-year Wing-wide unit citations in the past, I'm not a great fan of them.  When we got ours it wasn't really for having done anything particularly special over that period.  Not even a REALLY big mission.  The time period happened to coincide with the term of a particular Wing Commander and I suspect that was the driving force to have it cover that time period. 

That being said, they can be legitimate, but since CAP hardly ever does any internal public affairs when such awards are given they really don't help inspire other Wings to try to one-up them since for the most part only the members of that Wing hear about it. 

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2011, 09:30:32 PM

If it was for FL001, it would say Florida Wing Headquarters.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on April 22, 2011, 10:56:05 PM

I'd wait to see the 120 and the PA...

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2011, 11:07:43 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 22, 2011, 10:56:05 PM

I'd wait to see the 120 and the PA...

You probably won't see the 120, but the PA was quoted above:

Quote from: Kaye Downing on April 22, 2011, 08:55:38 PM
NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
CIVIL AIR PATROL
-USAF AUXILIARY-
Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama 36112-6332
PERSONNEL ACTIONS) 12 April 2011 NUMBER NHQ 50)
The Civil Air Patrol UNIT CITATION AWARD is awarded to FLORIDA WING (ELEVENTH AWARD), for outstanding achievements, exceptional service, and high degree of performance during the,periods 1 February 2008 through 9 April 2011, effective 12 April 2011. AUTHORITY: CAPR39-3.
FOR THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
SUSAN P. PARKER
DISTRIBUTION:
Chief, Personnel & Member Actions
1 -Ea Individual Concerned
1 -Ea NEC Member
1 -Ea Wing Concerned
1 -Ea Region Concerned
1 -Ea CAP-USAF LR Concerned
1-EX
1-CC

Eclipse

That isn't a PA, that is a note from Suzy Parker.

The PA, if properly processed, will specify the name of everyone who qualifies for the award.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

That is the PA issued by NHQ.

starshippe

. . i don't have a dog in this fight, not a big dog, anyway, but i noticed that this was the eleventh wing unit citation. so, florida wing unit citation awards seem to happen fairly often, maybe averaging one every 5 years or so, but certainly occurring more often, on the average, than once every 8 years.
. . if its national hq thats bestowing these, and they have issued a total of 50 pas, it appears that florida is getting their fair share.
. . what would be interesting is a list of all the wings, and the total number of unit citations issued to each. just wondering.

bill

Eclipse

That's NHQ PA #50, not UC #50.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2011, 11:58:13 PM
That isn't a PA, that is a note from Suzy Parker.

The PA, if properly processed, will specify the name of everyone who qualifies for the award.

Well, I guess it doesn't work that way in this case. I have a PA, formatted exactly the same way, from NHQ, awarding some DSMs, some ESAs, an MSA, three CCAs, and the Unit Citation to AZ, CA, NV, TX, and UT for the Columbia disaster effort. We were told that it was the responsibility of the individual units to determine specifically who would get to wear the ribbon, since the units are best able to make that determination.

Here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

As written, your example specifically says "these units", so intention aside, that says "001" to me, not the general membership.  AZ001 is a unit, the entire wing is not.

Further, the unintended consequence of these blanket PA's is that empty shirts, patron members, members on disciplinary suspension, and those
without even Level 1 would potentially qualify.

The proper way to do this is solicit the member list before the PA is signed, and include it with the 120, not issue the decoration and then say "you guys figure it out".

That's what I insisted upon from my unit this year on their (ultimately approved) submission for a UC, and also for any decorations they wanted me to sign.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

It is not practical to have a PA with several thousand names on it when a blanket statement saying that anyone assigned to the unit during the specified time period is eligible.  Such eligibility is easily determined. 

Eclipse

Its only not practical if you decide it isn't.  This is just like GBD's who feel they have to track 40 people, when in fact they only have to track 6 teams.

You send an email down the chain, then wait for the responses.  If your unit CC can't be bothered to take the time, no dec for you!

Units send their list to Group, Group to wing, one person consolidates the list for the PA.  No ambiguity, no hurt feelings, and no one who can
pretend they qual'ed when they didn't.

The Katrina PA's were about 15 pages long and spanned multiple wings and regions, yet someone was able to make it happen fairly timely.
Its not like their is a hurry on this.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

In eServices, I believe that 001 shows everyone in the Wing. It confuses the heck out of me every time I try to look up someone at Wing HQ.

EmergencyManager6

The award is for EVERYONE in the wing.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2011, 01:37:18 AM
As written, your example specifically says "these units", so intention aside, that says "001" to me, not the general membership.  AZ001 is a unit, the entire wing is not.

The entire wing is a unit - California Wing. CA001 is California Wing Headquarters. I have seen other PAs with that terminology, and the award was to just the wing staff assigned to CA001.

Just because you don't like that it's done that way, doesn't mean that it's wrong. The PA is an official document awarding a specific award to a specific group of people. Just because all the names aren't on it, doesn't mean that it's invalid.

How many people were listed on the Katrina PAs? We're talking somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 members for the UCA I posted. You going to type that up for us?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret