wearing mini medal on female blues set?

Started by C/MSgt Durant, March 13, 2011, 10:02:26 PM

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on April 13, 2011, 01:50:26 PMmajor lord, I apologize to you. In everything else, when I have time, on the computer I do quite well on grammar and spelling. I do not do very well on people who think they can tell me how to write on an unofficial site.
Not a case of people "telling you what to do", more of a case of trying to encourage you to do the appropriate thing. No one here can really tell you what to do, the choice is up to you.

What people here are telling you are the repercussions of not writing in a professional style. You are obviously not ignorant, your AFA award shows that. But with awards like that, there is an expectation of professionalism. You show that you have met a high standard, so the associated conduct is expected.

As I said before, people here can't really tell you what to do, but it works both ways. You can't tell them what to do either. That means that if people choose to critique your writing style, they can and will. They may decide to simply ignore the posts you make because of the manner in which you write. An English teacher told me one time "Writing is often the first, and quite often the last, impression you make on someone. It's in your best interest to present a good impression." There's a lot of truth to that.

Most of us here would like to see you present yourself in a manner that makes a good impression. We don't want you to leave, this forum is an excellent resource (in many different ways, sometimes with the best examples of what not to do) for CAP members.

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on April 13, 2011, 08:46:53 AM
I often wonder why people on this board jump on Cadets for spelling and grammar, but don't say the first thing when Seniors have spelling and grammar mistakes.

SMs are not immune. I usually send PMs to those folks in need of a little guidance, both cadet and SM, instead of the public fangs others are prone to bare. The responses I get from the SMs generally fall into the "can't teach an olde dog new tricks" realm, so I concentrate my efforts on the cadets, who tend to be more trainable, and not so set in their ways. The cadets also seem to have less hypocritical attitudes. There are a number of SMs on here who preach one thing and do the opposite.

Since I'm on a roll, I'd like to ask you kind readers why the placement of a collar insignia is more important that good writing skills. There seems to be so much more time spent on the former than the latter, when poor writing has a much more far reaching effect on one's life.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

It occurs to me that CAP is not the only three letter agency with a "C" and an "A'" in it that awards decorations that you are not allowed to wear....or even acknowledge.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

C/MSgt Durant

Encourage me? If I felt that, I wouldn't be complaining. I understand what you are trying to tell me Hawk200, but I do not see what are you are talking about when it comes to "encouragement."

Eclipse

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on April 13, 2011, 08:30:48 PM
Encourage me? If I felt that, I wouldn't be complaining. I understand what you are trying to tell me Hawk200, but I do not see what are you are talking about when it comes to "encouragement."

en·cour·age   
[en-kur-ij, -kuhr-]
–verb (used with object), -aged, -ag·ing.
1. to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence: His coach encouraged him throughout the marathon race to keep on running.
2. to stimulate by assistance, approval, etc.: One of the chief duties of a teacher is to encourage students.
3. to promote, advance, or foster: Poverty often encourages crime.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Durant

and yet I'm still not "encouraged" to use proper English when I'm in a hurry.

DC

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on April 13, 2011, 08:56:44 PM
and yet I'm still not "encouraged" to use proper English when I'm in a hurry.
I do not now, nor will I ever understand the "I'm in a hurry" excuse. MAYBE, if you are using a cell phone without a keyboard, but with a computer? Please.

How much longer does it actually take to capitalize and use proper punctuation? I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone is so insanely busy that they cannot afford to take the extra second or two (if that) it takes to make their posts readable. If you just do it the right way all the time, you might find that it isn't such a big hassle to make those few extra keystrokes.