Obviously we have a Major working for NBC...

Started by Krapenhoeffer, October 19, 2010, 12:37:19 AM

Krapenhoeffer

Well, I was watching Chuck (on NBC), and noticed that this character was wearing a ribbon that looked strangely familiar in the spot reserved for his highest decoration...

Obviously we have a Major working on the Chuck team...
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Hawk200

Krapenhoeffer

I will agree with you there, the AF General character has an atrocious looking uniform.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

DBlair

Loening Award above what appears to be the Navy Cross and Silver Star, wow.

Also, third row down, doesn't that look like our Garber ribbon?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Krapenhoeffer

It isn't. Lacks the vertical red stripes in the middle of the white stripes. That ribbon is still a mystery to me.

ColonelJack

And he has the Loening ribbon on upside down.

For a long time, Hollywood would "get around" the law regarding impersonating an officer by having one ribbon or badge on a character's uniform that, in the real world, wouldn't possibly be there -- like a Spanish-American War ribbon on a WWII uniform, f'rinstance.  Now, since most (not all) shows have some cooperation from the Pentagon, there's no need to do that any more.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Krapenhoeffer

TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
    Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production
    may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not
    tend to discredit that armed force.

So, basically, if they wear it properly, a character in a fictional program can wear a uniform.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

With the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on his collar, I hope so.

Krapenhoeffer

The character is a Col. John Casey, USMC, assigned to the NSA.

The show is called "Chuck" and it's on NBC on Monday nights.

In context, he has to put on his full dress uniform so can fake his own funeral as bait.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2010, 02:22:17 AM
With the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on his collar, I hope so.

Looks like a seahorse to me, maybe he's from Seaquest!

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

He's also wearing a Philippine Independence Medal but with all the Vietnam era service medals no National Defense medal.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Earhart1971

Yes, he is too young to be wearing Republic of Vietnam Gallentry Cross with Palms!

DBlair

Quote from: Earhart1971 on October 19, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Yes, he is too young to be wearing Republic of Vietnam Gallentry Cross with Palms!

I was thinking the same thing. lol
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Flying Pig

All those medals and no Purple Heart?  Not to mention that unsat haircut.

Thunder

Thats awesome. Leave it to a SAR trained individual to pick that out

SarDragon

Quote from: Thunder on October 19, 2010, 05:51:54 PM
Thats awesome. Leave it to a SAR trained individual to pick that out

Fail.

Capt. Steht is a former (see, got that right, Rob) Marine. I would expect no less, regardless of any SAP qualifications.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

I hope his character is a reservist...he had the Marine Corps Reserve Service Medal too...

MSG Mac

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
I hope his character is a reservist...he had the Marine Corps Reserve Service Medal too...

That's a Marine Corps Expedionary Medal
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
That's a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Did you notice he has two Legion of Merit Ribbons? One on either side of the DSSM.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member