CAP Flight Suits-Reviews and Recommendations

Started by ArmyCAP, July 08, 2010, 09:33:44 PM

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

UWONGO2

Quote from: tsrup on August 05, 2010, 03:35:29 PM
I didn't see any reference to this in 39-1..
CAPM 39-1 states flight suits are for air crew members only. Doesn't that mean unless the cadet is at least a mission scanner there's no flightsuit option?

As to your point about wearing the fligtsuit only while flying, the knowledgebase says it's up to the squadron commander to OK flightsuits for meetings or activities.

Hawk200

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 05, 2010, 03:43:06 PMCAPM 39-1 states flight suits are for air crew members only. Doesn't that mean unless the cadet is at least a mission scanner there's no flightsuit option?

As to your point about wearing the fligtsuit only while flying, the knowledgebase says it's up to the squadron commander to OK flightsuits for meetings or activities.
The "Flight crews only" reference has been a point of contention among members. Some people read it that it is only allowed during flight operations, others read it as only authorized for people with a flight crew rating.

That KB statement indicates that it's not restricted to flight operations only.

vento

Wearing a flight suit when not flying, or when not at mission base, or when not at an airport is silly at best. When we see one we simply call him (haven't seen a her yet) Capt "Barbie".  >:D

I saw one at Camp Pendleton during the CAWG Encampment. What a sight!  :angel:

Edited:for bad grammar.

Hawk200

Quote from: vento on August 06, 2010, 01:11:27 AM
Wearing a flight suit when not flying, or at mission base, or at an airport is silly at best. When we see one we simply call him (haven't seen a her yet) Capt "Barbie".  >:D
Why? No reason to change coming back after a flight, someone at a mission base may be waiting for a sortie, and a flightsuit at an airport is a lot more normal than a flightsuit in the supermarket.

They bought it, no reason they shouldn't wear it if something more formal is not called for.

vento

My bad, wrong punctuation. I mean when not flying, when not at airports, when not at mission base...

EMT-83

The common sense approach would be wearing a flight suit when en route to, actively participating in, and returning from, flight operations.

The pilot who is scheduled to fly an O-flight prior to a meeting? Of course he should keep his flight suit on for the meeting; it would be silly to change.

As an MO, should I wear a flight suit to meetings just because it's kwel? I don't think so.

tsrup

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 06, 2010, 01:39:51 AMAs an MO, should I wear a flight suit to meetings just because it's kwel? I don't think so.

What about wearing a flight suit to a meeting because it's an authorized uniform? 
Seriously, there so much anxiety about what to wear on this board its amazing.  If you have a uniform and its appropriate for that meeting (i.e. flight suits/bdus/bbdus vs blues/greys) then wear it. 

Wear what you want as long as its in line with NHQ and your wing/squadrons regulations.  Just wear it properly. 

Wether or not I wear a flight suit at a meeting depends on my cadets activities that day.  Are they wearing blues?  Then Im in blues also.  Are they primarily doing Color Guard/ES/Drill/GLP stuff?  Then I am in BDU's.  Am I teaching an Aerospace class or not anything of the above?  Then you can bet yourself I am in a flight suit. 

Everyone has their opinion on when to wear a flight suit, but until a regulation is established that specifically bars the wearing of it unless during flight ops, then it is up to the squadron commander.

With everything above said, I think I would still ridicule someone who wore their flight suit at encampment mercilessly...  >:D
Paramedic
hang-around.

Mustang

Quote from: cap235629 on August 05, 2010, 03:20:16 AM
Quote from: tsrup on August 05, 2010, 02:51:38 AM
Quote from: Cms.sloane on August 05, 2010, 02:42:29 AM
If a cadet is training to be a pilot are we also ble to wear flight suits?

yes.

when flying only
Quoted for reinforcement.  Don't think you can show up to your squadron meeting wearing a flight suit because you're taking flying lessons.  In fact, if you're not training in a corporate aircraft, I can't think of an instance where you'd be correct in wearing one.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: vento on August 06, 2010, 01:11:27 AMI saw one at Camp Pendleton during the CAWG Encampment. What a sight!  :angel:

Edited:for bad grammar.

If that was the same person I saw, it was the CAP-USAF PCR/LO