CAP Flight Suits-Reviews and Recommendations

Started by ArmyCAP, July 08, 2010, 09:33:44 PM

ArmyCAP

Any comments on the quality, fit, durability, comfort etc. of different brands of CAP distinctive, navy blue flight suits? Tru-Spec is a brand frequently found on line, about $38 for poly/cotton, without zippered pockets on thighs. Aureus sells p/c for $125, with what seems to be all USAF feature details as to pockets, etc. Their NOMEX version is $205. ROTHCO has been panned in this forum pretty hard already.

MSgt Van

I've always been happy with Gibson-Barnes, but they're a bit more $$.

SarDragon

My used blue Nomex suit was made by Barrier Wear Inc., and seems to be holding up well. It has a softer feel than my green ones from elsewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Are you not eligible for the AF style, or just the presumed price?

... eBay, new/unissued even- I've never paid more than $30 delivered, when I've gotten them lots of times for folks. There's a crapton of them listed at any one time.

Probably check for the blue/whatever types as well. Search for CWU, then go from there.

SarDragon

I got my blue one on eBay, too. They are less plentiful, so it took me a while to find one in my size and price range. Be patient, and you'll get one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

CWU-27/P is the keyword you need to put in.

Tru-Spec is closer to the style of the current USAF issue flight suit. And available in navy blue cotton for the utility uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

blackrain

Got the 6.5 oz Blue Nomex from Gibson & Barnes. Admit it's a little warm (been in a lot hotter temps in the past  :) in the summer and pricey (think I paid $220 in 2008) but it seems like it will last forever and resists wrinkling. Very well made and the pockets do well to carry items of equipment. Get to use sew on cloth rank so that is a plus. I also like that the Navy Blue can't really be mistaken as military. I get to play military enough as it is. ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

ArmyCAP

Is the sew-on cloth rank permitted on CAP flight suits throughout CAP now, or by supplemental reg in certain wings or units?

a2CAPT, I'm eligible for the AF style sage green, and have one. But, like blackrain, I'd prefer not to be mistaken for military, and I hear the NOMEX suit can get pretty warm here in the sunny south.

Anyone know about Tru-Spec or Aureus?

ArmyCAP

Never mind, I found the 25 JAN 08 memo re uniform changes.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ArmyCAP

Memo re changes to 39-1 from National Commander, on e-services web page. Includes permission to wear cloth rank on CAP flight suit.

Pylon

Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 09, 2010, 01:58:47 AM
Memo re changes to 39-1 from National Commander, on e-services web page. Includes permission to wear cloth rank on CAP flight suit.

To be more clear, yep, but cloth grade insignia is authorized on just the CAP-distinctive blue flight suit (not the CAP AF-style green flight suit)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on July 08, 2010, 11:43:29 PM
I got my blue one on eBay, too. They are less plentiful, so it took me a while to find one in my size and price range. Be patient, and you'll get one.
I'm seeing a lot of ones marked as "NASA Blue" but they do not appear to be the right shade

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on July 09, 2010, 03:07:18 AM
Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 09, 2010, 01:58:47 AM

To be more clear, yep, but cloth grade insignia is authorized on just the CAP-distinctive blue flight suit (not the CAP AF-style green flight suit)

Yep - is still plastic-encase "metal" on the green suits.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I find just CWU on eBay- yeah, you'll get jackets, etc- too.. but there's not wads of it, and you may find deals where people incorrectly listed them with an insanely cheap BIN, so you just whomp on it, rather than ruling out by searching for that 27/P stuff.

I even got a winter weight one for $35 with shipping once, new never issued.

Custer

Quote from: blackrain on July 08, 2010, 11:54:24 PMI also like that the Navy Blue can't really be mistaken as military. I get to play military enough as it is. ;D

Table 4-5 in CAPR 39-1 says "Royal Blue Nomex" for the flight suit, and "Dark Blue flight suit style" for the one piece utility uniform.  These are not in fact the same color, are they?

ßτε

Quote from: Custer on July 25, 2010, 06:57:54 PM
Quote from: blackrain on July 08, 2010, 11:54:24 PMI also like that the Navy Blue can't really be mistaken as military. I get to play military enough as it is. ;D

Table 4-5 in CAPR 39-1 says "Royal Blue Nomex" for the flight suit, and "Dark Blue flight suit style" for the one piece utility uniform.  These are not in fact the same color, are they?

They are not the same. The "Royal Blue" has been replaced by "Dark Blue":

Quote from: CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1, 25 Jan 08CAP Distinctive Flight suit. Effective 15 March 2006, a dark blue
NOMEX flight suit was approved for wear by CAP members. This item will be worn with
the same badges and devices as the currently authorized CAP distinctive ultramarine
blue flight suit. The ultramarine blue flight suit will be phased out 1 March 2009.

RVT

After reading this thread I looked through all of the flight AND uniform regs - and nowhere do I see any actual requirement to use a flight suit for anything.  Its clear you have to be in a uniform but it does not specify which.

All of the activity uniforms I hear about are T-shirts and usually shorts.  Then theres the SE region uniform.

Is there any activity where flight suits are actually required?  Considering the restrictions on where you go and what you do wearing one when you are not actually flying I'd rather just avoid wearing a "zoom bag" if I can.

davidsinn

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on July 26, 2010, 01:07:19 AM
After reading this thread I looked through all of the flight AND uniform regs - and nowhere do I see any actual requirement to use a flight suit for anything.  Its clear you have to be in a uniform but it does not specify which.

All of the activity uniforms I hear about are T-shirts and usually shorts.  Then theres the SE region uniform.

Is there any activity where flight suits are actually required?  Considering the restrictions on where you go and what you do wearing one when you are not actually flying I'd rather just avoid wearing a "zoom bag" if I can.

In your wing nomex flight suits are required to fly.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Mustang

Quote from: davidsinn on July 26, 2010, 02:17:58 AM
Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on July 26, 2010, 01:07:19 AM

In your wing region, nomex flight suits are required to fly on missions.
Fixed.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "